Holly Smoke, Spring is coming finally to the Upper Mississippi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capn Craig

Guru
Saw my first full tow pushing up river at my riverhouse yesterday. The groundhog was worthless, but this I believe.

Attachments

• DSCN0552.jpg
    DSCN0552.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN0554.jpg
    DSCN0554.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 80
Nice picture, which dam is that? I guess the when the ice goes so do the eagles.

Lock and Dam 14 Leclaire IA. Yes, the Eagles leave with the ice generally. They can get thick in mid January. Have had many roosting in the yard trees. I have found a few half eaten foot and a half long fish on the second strory decks. Although I think I saw one soaring yesterday. It might have been a hawk though as it was pretty far away. Next up in the migration come the pelicans. They should start showing up in a few weeks. They are neat to watch. They can have up to about a six foot wingspan. The rocks you can see in the pictures will turn white with hundreds of pelicans. They fish in groups of fifty or so birds. They will form a large circle that they slowly close up as they float downstream. They are herding fish. when they are shoulder to shoulder the fish slaughter begins. When they run out of fish they fly back to the rocks and another group group forms a circle.

I talked to one of the guys at the marina this week & he said the harbor was full of pelicans. I was wondering if the tows up north had started moving yet, yes a definite sign of spring. I'am heading to the river tomorrow to start getting the boat ready.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom