Holding tank metal or plastic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captwill

Veteran Member
Falkor, our 1980 Cheer Men we just purchased, has a wasted disconnected holding tank approximately 30 - 40 gallons (guess). It is located in the bilge, forward of the engine, port of the center line, between stringers. (earlier post of mature plump people comes into play here)

I am enlisting help to remove and replace. The question, do I go back with a fabricated steel tank or plastic tank?

We replaced our 1985 Cheer Men stainless steel tank with a plastic one right after we bought the boat and boy was I glad we did as the lower port broke right off while trying to remove the hose. Really glad it was empty and clean at the time........:thumb::dance:

Plastic! Something we can all agree on! :eek:

Ted

Seamless rotomolded plastic is the recommended material for waste holding...and your best source is Ronco Plastics (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco). Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog They make TOP quality thick-walled (min. 3/8" for the smallest tanks, increasing in thickness at 40 gallons and above) water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular (which means you might be able to fit a larger one in the same space), and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. They do sell direct for a lot less than Plastics Mart and other retailers who sell Ronco.

Wall thickness is very important because unless the walls are strong enough to support the weight of the contents (water and waste weigh 8.33 lbs/gal), or fully supported on all four sides, the tank will bulge and flex which inevitably results in a cracked tank. I've seen tanks as thin as 3/16" which about the wall thickness of the tanks that Ocean Link sells (.20").

Peggie

Thanks ...

I was hoping to touch base with you once the old tank is out and before installing the new tank to go over options with you.

Brgds/Bill

HeadMistress.... You Rule! Do you have a book of your knowledge for purchase?

Well, I guess that was a rhetorical question. If you remove the smells the problems are solved!

Polyethylene comes in different forms. Comparative thickness would be a good determinant as long as you are comparing like materials.

Cross-linked polyethylene could be considerably thinner than a linear low density polyethylene and achieve the same strength. Virgin material is quite a bit stronger than recycled material. Although I doubt anyone would be making one out of fully recycled stock.

Just like anything, always good to know what you are actually buying.

Ridges can add strength to a vertical wall too. Quite common on large rotomolded tanks.

FWIW, I put in a Sealand tank (LLDPE) and it was quite thick. I'd guess around 0.3125" on a pretty small 25ish gallon tank.

Last edited:
HeadMistress.... You Rule! Do you have a book of your knowledge for purchase? Well, I guess that was a rhetorical question. If you remove the smells the problems are solved!

As a matter of fact I do...and although the title makes it seem to address only odor issues (my publisher thought "Get Rid of Boat Odors" would attract more buyers than "Flush With Success," which was what I wanted to call it), it's actually a comprehensive guide to marine sanitation systems and all the other sources of odor and aggravation. Available in both kindle and hard copy here:
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to post a shameless plug for it! :D

Polyethylene comes in different forms. Comparative thickness would be a good determinant as long as you are comparing like materials.

Cross-linked polyethylene could be considerably thinner than a linear low density polyethylene and achieve the same strength. Virgin material is quite a bit stronger than recycled material. Although I doubt anyone would be making one out of fully recycled stock.
Just like anything, always good to know what you are actually buying.
Ridges can add strength to a vertical wall too. Quite common on large rotomolded tanks.
FWIW, I put in a Sealand tank (LLDPE) and it was quite thick. I'd guess around 0.3125" on a pretty small 25ish gallon tank.

With the possible exception of the occasional custom tank for an individual, all rotomolded water and waste tanks are linear LDPE (low density polyethylene). It's only necessary to use cross linked for fuel..it's the only type of PE that can be used for fuel. Linear would soak up petroleum and "melt." I don't think I've ever seen a rotomolded tank with ridges in the walls, but I won't say there aren't any.

There are a couple of mfrs of custom welded tanks who use PP because it's easier to cut and doesn't require seams to b heat and spin welded. Triple M Plastics in Maine Triple M Plastic Products Inc is one whose tanks are top quality. More expensive than rotomolded for which the mold already exists, but a lot cheaper than paying to have rotomolder make a mold for a one-off tank.

SeaLand tanks have always been overbuilt, which is not a bad thing...it's hard to go wrong erring on the side of caution. But it does drive the cost up. Ronco is actually the mfr for most of 'em...they make 'em to SeaLand's specs.

Last edited:
Reading Peggy's book made me want to own my own head....so I went and bought a boat!

My boat came with a plastic tank for blackwater. Steel for fuel and water tanks, however. Don't know why, but hope the decade-experienced boat builder knows what he's doing.

A slight hijack,sorry ( my question probably doesn't justify a new thread). I have capped off my redundant long range fuel tank in the ER as being not required for our boat use and have been thinking about modifying it into a holding tank.

My ER is very tight and removing the tank would require removing the 7KVA gennie, which is a big job, so I am wondering if I can utilise the existing mild steel tank(about 30 years old)as a waste tank for the two heads on the boat.

Any observations on the above appreciated.

End of hijack. :blush:

Last edited:
"....so I am wondering if I can utilise the existing mild steel tank(about 30 years old)as a waste tank for the two heads on the boat."

Unless you want to replace it within 2-5 years, I wouldn't. The engine room is a horrible place for a waste tank anyway. We can find another much better location that provides much easier access. And I have a Skype account.

Last edited:
Plastic. I will be adding a holding tank to my Prairie later this year once the weather cools.
I have used Ronco in the past and will more than likely use them for this tank.

Plastic is probably best for ANY tank, Fuel, waste or FW.

We have used these folks for years.

The catalog states which UPS will ship, which is the cheapest way to get them.

TANKS - Duracast Products

duracast.com/tanks/

When you need a unique tank to meet your specificaitons we are here to help! Specify resin, the color of your tank, wall thickness, mold-in graphics, modify an ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom