Old 10-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: AR
Be careful making your own filter. Water filters can be packed tightly with charcoal, but not vent line filters. There must be a lot of air space around the charcoal pieces to allow plenty of air flow in and out of the vent line or you create a blockage instead of a filter. So make sure your charcoal pieces are in shapes that won't pack together.

HeadMistress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:01 AM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Q View Post
If you have the sludge problem --
Pump the tank out as much as possible and for every 20 liters of tank add about one oz of Noflex
Wash it down the toilet with enough water to fill the tank to 90 % full and leave it for 24 to 48 hours . (If you have vacuum flush toilets try not to get the powder on the rubber or ball)
If your tank sludge is more than 50 % of the tanks volume you may have to do this a second time.
Then use the Noflex on a routine basis once every couple of days to keep control of the smells and sludge.
If you do not have the luxury of time use a tablespoon every day (per person on board ) for a month and then cut it back once you see the tank walls cleaning up.

As for scale sometimes people see in there tanks dark clumps on the insides. It is usually build ups of toilet paper not scale If you do the treatment were you fill and let the tank sit for a day the Noflex will remove it.

I haven’t written any books but when I was in the business my charge out time for industrial sewage treatment systems is $1500 a day so I know something about **** .

Yeah, Dave, maybe "scale" is what we have, then. Looks like dark clumps built up on the insides of the tank walls -- to just about the halfway mark -- even after 2 seasons of almost-daily Noflex treatment (but while the system is in use).

I could only afford 24 hours worth of Noflex treatment with clean rinse water this time. Filled the newly-pumped/rinsed tank up to above the sludge line with fresh water, added about 2 tablespoons of Noflex, 24 hours, didn't seem to do squat.

I'm not thinking it wouldn't have eventually done squat, just couldn't afford more downtime at this particular moment.

BTW, you still need to pursue that whole Commercial Member thing they do here.

-Chris

Old 10-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #23
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I put a tap on the tank top with a valve to the deck washdown pump. Occasionally while offshore I turn on the rinse valve and run the macerator. Maybe ten minutes as macerator is not a continuous run motor. Does a pretty good job of cleaning the tank.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:31 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore, Maryland
Vessel Name: HAVEN
Vessel Model: Golden Star 35
In prepping for haul-out next month I found I could not flush the aft head so the glycol anti-freeze could make the 20’ or so trip to the holding tank. I rarely use the aft toilet but my grandsons have used it frequently this year and I suspect have not “pumped” the manual plunger adequately to move the flush water “up the hill” to the vented loop and as a result, I think there’s a “dry” clog somewhere along the 1 ” pvc sanitary hose. Will a product like NoFlex digester solve what I think is my problem with a hose clog?
artfulltune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #25
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Artfull, I don't know if Noflex would clear it or not. The problem I see is that you can't get the Noflex to the clog. I think you're going to have disassemble something and poke the clog with a stick or pressurize the line somehow.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
artfultune,
Kids put all kinds of stuff down toilets. They think it's a machine to make things disappear.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:47 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore, Maryland
Vessel Name: HAVEN
Vessel Model: Golden Star 35
well HopCar, wasn't as bad as I thought..pulled the holding tank sanitary hose and got a 25' length of old garden hose..fairly stiff but slimed it with dish soap and pushed til it poked its' head out in to the tank..met some sloppy resistance on the way down but got decent results
artfulltune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #28
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Well done Artfull. Clever to use the hose as your poker. I'll remember that trick.