Old 06-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Merritt Island- Port Canaveral
Vessel Name: Jagger
Holding tank

We have a Mainship 400 which is located at a marina. We occupy it on the weekends but do not utilize the head on a regular basis. Any suggestions on how to eliminate the strong pungent smell that it produces on regular weekend flushes for maintenance to circulate water. We always use the marina restrooms.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Addendum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
You need more air flow in the holding tank. Check your vent, it is probably very small and convoluted which will restrict air flow. Best plan is adding another vent on the opposite side of the boat to allow air to flow through. Anaerobic bacteria is what smells, aerobic bacteria does not. Get Peggie Halls book on boat odors. It is a very good source to all you need to know about heads and related systems.

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
Guru

City: AR
Get Peggie Hall's book on boat odors. It is a very good source to all you need to know about heads and relared systems.

I can't argue with that advice! You'll find a link to it in my signature below...just click on the title in bold. And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
You need more air flow in the holding tank. Check your vent, it is probably very small and convoluted which will restrict air flow. Best plan is adding another vent on the opposite side of the boat to allow air to flow through. Anaerobic bacteria is what smells, aerobic bacteria does not. Get Peggie Halls book on boat odors. It is a very good source to all you need to know about heads and related systems.

Thank you
Old 06-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Get Peggie Hall's book on boat odors. It is a very good source to all you need to know about heads and relared systems.

I can't argue with that advice! You'll find a link to it in my signature below...just click on the title in bold. And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

I appreciate your input
Old 06-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #6

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Knotty Girl
Vessel Model: Mainship 31 Sedan
You aren’t drinking enough. I’m pretty sure I pee straight rum. Bacteria can’t survive in my holding tank.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:32 PM   #7
Guru

In lieu of a second vent, you can install a Groco Sweetank. That will pump air into the tank and will solve the problem. It maybe a much easier fix than a second vent.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Navarre, FL
Vessel Name: Rain Dog
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addendum1 View Post
We have a Mainship 400 which is located at a marina. We occupy it on the weekends but do not utilize the head on a regular basis. Any suggestions on how to eliminate the strong pungent smell that it produces on regular weekend flushes for maintenance to circulate water. We always use the marina restrooms.

Are you flushing with fresh water or salt water?
Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:51 AM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

+1. Buy Peggieís book.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:58 AM   #10
Guru

My assumption was that you were referring to smell that is expelled overboard when the head is flushed. If you are referring to a smell inside the boat when the head is flushed then the problem likely is a seawater flush and the microorganisms that die inside the intake hose between uses. The easiest fix for that is to go to a freshwater flush head.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
You arenít drinking enough. Iím pretty sure I pee straight rum. Bacteria canít survive in my holding tank.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Dog View Post
Are you flushing with fresh water or salt water?

Fresh water
Old 06-13-2018, 07:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Goldcoast
Vessel Name: Moana
Vessel Model: 1996 M40 Riviera aft cab
I always turn off
thru hull sea cocks on leaving my boat, then flush well with fresh water, leaving fresh water in the bowl with a little disinfectant added, never had a problem with any of my boats with smell.
auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:44 AM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
We do exactly the same as Mr. ausk. No smells either.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Little River, SC
Vessel Name: Memory Lane
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 40 Motor Yacht
Flush with freshwater.
Cliff Meima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #16

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
By freshwater ,they mean water from the boats freshwater tank, not outside freshwater. Just to be sure.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
My assumption was that you were referring to smell that is expelled overboard when the head is flushed.
This was my assumption as well. I think we need to clarify whether this is an odor in the head and cabin, or whether the cockpit and dock are getting gassed out.

If this is an exterior odor, then this is the displacement of gasses in the holding tank when fluid is flushed into the tank. An in-line holding tank vent filter should be installed. We replace ours roughly every 6 months.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #18

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Knotty Girl
Vessel Model: Mainship 31 Sedan
Ahh! I’ve been wondering why sometime when we flush we get a terrible smell outside. Also when we had the boat in Charleston in salt water, the head would stink, especially the first flush after being away for a while. Now that it’s in fresh water, it’s not that bad at all.

All makes sense now.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #19
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addendum1 View Post

Several folks have mentioned vents and filters relative to exterior odors when you flush.

An easy check is to learn whether you actually have a vent filter, and if you do, when it was last changed. Could be as easy as replacing it with a new one, if it's been a very long time. (We get 3-4 years from our filter.)

OTOH, if you have a filter and if you know it's new, some of the other suggestions may apply... but adding new vents lines and/or increasing vent hose size could be a lot of work... to avoid if you can.

If you mean interior odor when you flush, that's maybe a couple different things. An easy one to check is whether your joker valve needs replacing... and another is about whether hose connections at the head and holding tank are secure.

Also, many folks treat their holding tanks, ideally with products designed to promote and/or sustain aerobic bacteria. Names like NoFlex, KO, Odorlos...

-Chris
Old 06-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #20
Guru

City: gulf coast
Yes if you are flushing with potable water and the smell is external then try using KO. It worked for me.
Once you get it under control dont use bleach or most cleansers in the head they will kill the good bacteria.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote