Holding tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are very fortunately to have the developer of both K.O and NoFlex as TF members.

Noflex here
If you are having problems with the saltwater flush water smelling
People put just a pinch of Noflex in the bowl water after.
This works even if the toilet isn't flushed again for months

I can see how that would eliminate sea water odor originating in the toilet discharge line, but how can it eliminate the odor from stagnant sea water trapped in the intake line and pump that knocks you off your feet with the first flush after the boat has sat in the summer heat?

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Change Tank & Hoses

We own a 40 MainShip and had our tank and hoses replaced. The tank was custom made from aluminum. It solved the problem. I will order Peggy's book to see if there is more we need to do.

Smelly Holding Tank

Regarding the smell from your holding tank. The member that suggested making sure your vent is clear is spot on. Excellent suggestion, as we often forget about those little vents that keep fresh air circulating.

Also, there are a number of chemical solutions for treating holding tanks.
BE SURE YOU BUY ONE THAT IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR TANK. Some use strong solutions and decay the seals. There are many out there that are excellent from those at West Marine, Most RV Stores, and even Wal Mart has a biodegradable one that is compatible with portable potties for campers that will not go after the gaskets. Just use it as prescribed and if you subscribe to a 'Pump Out Service' be sure they pump it out, then blast in some fresh water to break loose any 'Kling-ons' on the sides of the tank and dissolve the sediment on the bottom and pump again. They may charge you a few bucks more, for that service, but you only have to do it every other pump,
depending upon how long it take between pump outs.
Hope this helps you out.

Captain Ron D

Your correct on the salt water coming in can't fix that but with a pinch of Noflex it would neutralize the smell in a minute .
Someone should invent a valve that reverse the pump so it would blow air back in the supply hose and then you switch over to suction to fill bowl.
Somewhere in my travels i have seen these used some other application to purge the line first

We would have a pretty strong odor out the vent the first time we would flush after the boat had sat for a week or more. We would add scoop of KO or NoFlex and after that first flush, no more smell, until the next weekend. Added a second vent a few weeks ago on the opposite side of the hull as the factory vent and NO MORE ODORS! We do not have a vent filter for reasons already explained.

Mainship 400 Head

I have a Mainship 400 with Vacu-Flush system and 35 gallon holding tank under the passageway between the head and crew birth. Also started having head smell issues. Fortunately, our marina has a mobile pump out cart. I started flushing three or four times with with a couple of gallons of fresh water after each pump out, followed by about a cup of that blue stuff bought at West Marine. That keeps the head smell down pretty well. I know I'm getting close to full on the first whiff.

Empty often. Flush. Deodorize. If that doesn't work then look to what the others are say about additional vents.

We own a 40 MainShip and had our tank and hoses replaced. The tank was custom made from aluminum. It solved the problem. I will order Peggy's book to see if there is more we need to do.

Too bad someone replaced your holding tank with an aluminum tank instead of a poly tank...

Best solution is to add enough vents to get adequate oxygen to the tank.
Based on Peggie's book / recommendations I was successful on previous boat.

On current Mainship I had to add a bubbler as access to add / modify vent was next to impossible. For dsetails see the "Projects" section at "Bacchus" website

I'm sure the Groco Sweat Tank would work but at close to $300 I felt the DIY approach was worth a try - 3rd season and it works well. I did replace the copper bubbler tube w plastic this season otherwise it is still working fine.

I agree w/ Peggie that the charcoal filter approach causes more problems than it solves but some are very happy using the approach.

I'm also a NoFlex believer thanks to recommendations from others here on tf.

Best solution is to add enough vents to get adequate oxygen to the tank.
Based on Peggie's book / recommendations I was successful on previous boat.

On current Mainship I had to add a bubbler as access to add / modify vent was next to impossible. For dsetails see the "Projects" section at "Bacchus" website

I'm sure the Groco Sweat Tank would work but at close to $300 I felt the DIY approach was worth a try - 3rd season and it works well. I did replace the copper bubbler tube w plastic this season otherwise it is still working fine.

I agree w/ Peggie that the charcoal filter approach causes more problems than it solves but some are very happy using the approach.

I'm also a NoFlex believer thanks to recommendations from others here on tf.

+1 on the ventilation. I bought some Noflex but haven’t used it yet.

Peggy is #1 on this subject - this is her second book - and everyone with blackwater tanks needs to buy it! Will save you a LOT of headaches and complaints from the crew.

We have a Mainship 400 which is located at a marina. We occupy it on the weekends but do not utilize the head on a regular basis. Any suggestions on how to eliminate the strong pungent smell that it produces on regular weekend flushes for maintenance to circulate water. We always use the marina restrooms.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Nasty smells (rotten eggs) comes from not flushing with fresh water as opposed to sea or brackish water.

Vent-wise, you need to check two areas. First, that you have a carbon filter in line (normally less than 6 months old); second, that the vent line is not blocked.

If these fail to stop the smells, you will have to look further. The plastic hosing could need changing (they degrade over time) and it's always sensible to clean the tanks using something like Leesan's Green and Clean enzyme tablets (https://www.leesan.com/shop/consuma...n-green-holding-tank-cleanser-12-sachets.aspx). The enzymes feast on the rotting hard crusts at the base of the tank and clean the tank for you - they work supremely well.

I've had good success with a composting toilet. Another friend who had the lingering effect of a holding tank that he couldn't get rid of (according to him) took it all out including the hoses and went the same way. He's satisfied. And I no longer mind hanging out on his boat.

Last edited:
Holding tank odour

We have a Mainship 400 which is located at a marina. We occupy it on the weekends but do not utilize the head on a regular basis. Any suggestions on how to eliminate the strong pungent smell that it produces on regular weekend flushes for maintenance to circulate water. We always use the marina restrooms.

Any feedback is appreciated.
I try to flush as much water into the tank as is convenient. Also I add chemical toilet liquid to the toilet. then pump out regularly.
We too try to use shore facilities as much as possible.

Holdin thank odor problem solved for for ever

Had the very same problem in my 400/2005 intill two years ago, but not any more and without any chemicals.

The tric is to open up the non existing ventilation.
The factory installed ventilation is not working at all. To long and to small and with water traps.

Pull a new bigger vent hose to the bow from the existing connection to the holding tank and make a new vent hose connection from the aft side of the holding thank to the origional existing throu hull device.
Make sure not to get any water traps in the vent hose.
If you accidentaly over fill you can easily rinse with harbour water.

......forgot to advise to drill like a 12 mm hole in the existing throu hull device becuse its made for diesel vent and not for holding thanks
boan

We are looking at a boat with fiberglass holding tank (fuel tank also:thumb:). If we purchase, first thing I will do is follow Peggy's advice and add additional and larger vent lines, and install fresh water Marine Elegance toilets! Many thanks to the Head Mistriss:thumb:

Nasty smells (rotten eggs) comes from not flushing with fresh water as opposed to sea or brackish water.

Vent-wise, you need to check two areas. First, that you have a carbon filter in line (normally less than 6 months old); second, that the vent line is not blocked.

If these fail to stop the smells, you will have to look further. The plastic hosing could need changing (they degrade over time) and it's always sensible to clean the tanks using something like Leesan's Green and Clean enzyme tablets (https://www.leesan.com/shop/consuma...n-green-holding-tank-cleanser-12-sachets.aspx). The enzymes feast on the rotting hard crusts at the base of the tank and clean the tank for you - they work supremely well.

Good stuff!

However, if you have Uric acid buildup, you may want to try this!

Don't sell it or own the company - but this stuff works! :thumb:

......forgot to advise to drill like a 12 mm hole in the existing throu hull device becuse its made for diesel vent and not for holding thanks boan

A larger diameter vent line won't fit tightly onto the existing thru-hull. Replace it with the correct size open "bulkhead" or "mushroom" thru-hull (see photo). Not only does it provide an unimpeded flow of air, but it allows you prevent vent line blockages by sticking a hose nozzle against it and backflushing the vent line every time you wash the boat.

If you accidentaly over fill you can easily rinse with harbour water.

I'm a little baffled by how that's done...

Attachments

• plastic-thru-hull-fitting.jpg
    plastic-thru-hull-fitting.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 286

Whether the toilet uses sea water or fresh makes no difference at all in the holding tank, although a rinse with fresh water before the boat will sit can prevent odor from forming in the toilet discharge hose. Nasty smells can only be generated in an anaerobic (without oxygen) environment because only anaerobic gasses--sulfur dioxide, hydrogen sulfide--stink. When organic matter breaks down in aerobic (oxygenated) conditions, it converts to CO2, which is odorless. Increasing ventilation to the tank or even aerating it eliminates holding tank odor by creating an environment in the tank that prevents odor from being generated.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Whether the toilet uses sea water or fresh makes no difference at all in the holding tank, although a rinse with fresh water before the boat will sit can prevent odor from forming in the toilet discharge hose. Nasty smells can only be generated in an anaerobic (without oxygen) environment because only anaerobic gasses--sulfur dioxide, hydrogen sulfide--stink. When organic matter breaks down in aerobic (oxygenated) conditions, it converts to CO2, which is odorless. Increasing ventilation to the tank or even aerating it eliminates holding tank odor by creating an environment in the tank that prevents odor from being generated.

--Peggie

+1 absolutely. So many people want to put filters on the vents to mask the problem instead of actually fixing the problem.

A larger diameter vent line won't fit tightly onto the existing thru-hull. Replace it with the correct size open "bulkhead" or "mushroom" thru-hull (see photo). Not only does it provide an unimpeded flow of air, but it allows you prevent vent line blockages by sticking a hose nozzle against it and backflushing the vent line every time you wash the boat.

hi Peggy (and everyone). I have a main ship pilot 34 with the tiny vent opening for the holding tank, and yes, it is the same type of opening as for the diesel tank vents!

do the Mushroom thru-hulls have a way to keep out sea water from waves? or is it always open? (and that is its advantage)

Yes, you want the mushroom type thru hull. You might get a bit of spray in, but probably not much if any. It will allow you to backflush the vent if you get waste up into the vent hose.

Yes, you want the mushroom type thru hull. You might get a bit of spray in, but probably not much if any. It will allow you to backflush the vent if you get waste up into the vent hose.

Water and fuel tanks need vent thru-hulls that prevent sea water intrusion, but it doesn't matter if it gets into a waste tank. If you're concerned that it could be enough to fill up your tank, put a 2 liter soda bottle on the ground and aim a hose at the opening. It would have to be a very narrow stream and you'd have to have a very good aim to get more than a tablespoon into it.

Don't limit back flushing the vent line to the times you might overflow the tank into the vent line...spiders and other insects like to try to set up housekeeping in it. So to prevent vent blockages, stick a hose nozzle up against the vent thru-hull and backflush the vent line every time you wash the boat and/or pump out...any critters or debris that have found their way in will get a nice water slide ride into the tank.

--Peggie

thanks, Peggy and Comodave!

now to figure out how to get the current vent off without losing the end of the vent hose.

You're only removing the end of the vent line attached to the thru-hull. If the other end of the vent line is attached to the tank, just pull the line back to the tank. If it takes some kind of convoluted trip over, under and through bulkheads or around equipment, it needs to be re-routed to the thru-hull in a straight line.

--Peggie

As a retired university research engineer with a PhD in Environmental Engineering, I cannot more highly recommend Peggy Hall's book to anyone with a toilet on a boat.

Double-Wide

Thank you very much for the plug! And in case you managed to convince anyone to check it, clicking on the title in my signature will take 'em to it on Amazon.

--Peggie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom