Hit Me With A Dose Of Reality!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hogwash,

You have some great point and certainly worth thinking about. However, pretty negative.

And I'm betting that PNW Jeff has considered most of that, and bet my bottom dollar he IS spending time at the marina talking to other live a boards to get more insight and knowledge. Just like he's doing here.

We have a number of livaboards here that can offer good advice.

And Jeff won't have it all nailed down before venturing out. None of us do. But he does have a rather clear thought process and has logically arranged his priorities and possible pitfalls, and has asked good questions.

I'm betting on him, for a few reasons.
1. He seems like a logical thinker and can take criticism.
2. He seems financially prepared, probably with a good business that HE controls.
3. He has a ton of enthusiasm and a self starter.
4. He has age on his side and can make a few huge mistakes and pick himself up again and succeed.

And, overall, I love to see folks just venture out and do their dreams, especially when they are so well prepared. I see way more that never even get to the dock, let alone get their boat.

Thank you for the contrasting opinion.

But again, I understand the concept of "never finance a toy" and tend to agree. However given that we will be living aboard the boat, and no longer renting to the tune of $1,800 per month, that entirely covers our boat payment, moorage and fees.

Ah, so presumably you were renting because you just sold something big with a lot of equity. Then you are all set.

Jeff;

Couple quick questions about moorage;
When you put your name on a 1 to 2 year waitlist, did Shilshole know it was for live aboard and what assurance do you have that, come the time, the 300 live aboard limit doesn’t have an additional wait?

Have you explored the rate/cost difference between regular and live aboard moorage?

Have you thought about where you will live when the boat goes on the hard for 2-4-6 weeks?

Have you really done the math that says “yes, what we are paying in rent will cover our live aboard costs AND financing? Have you thought about the cost of rent, alternate moorage AND financing during the 1 to 2 (plus?) year wait for Shilshole?

Why do I care?
Why the cynicism?
Because I see a greater potential, in this case, for heartbreak than happiness.

I’d rather have given you something more to think about and be wrong, than regret having said nothing.

Hawgwash,

First, let me sincerely sat THANK YOU for your point of view and your opinions. I am thankful that you are voicing your concerns rather than remaining silent. Your concerns are all valid and provide some "food for thought".

To answer your questions about moorage...

YES, Shilshole knows I will be living aboard, and yes, the wait time quoted is for a live aboard slip. Shilshole is incredibly liveaboard friendly (largest liveaboard population at a singl marina on the west coast?)

YES, I am aware of the extra fees they will charge for liveaboard and parking for a second car and have factors that into the math (and my motorcycle, which will be free).

While the wait list is 2 years, it may be less if we go with a larger slip, which we may have to do. All advise I have been given is get the boat first, the slip is easier to sort out (for example, there are always sublet opportunities at Shilshole...you just have go be ok with moving your boat around once every few months until you get your final slip).

Regarding rent, I'm in a lease that I can get out of within 30-60 days notice...so that part is no problem.

As far as researching the liveaboard life, I recently finished a book written solely on that topic, including all of the potential pitfalls....sorry, can't recall the title at this moment.

Also have been following liveaboard threads and soaking up as much info as possible. I've spoken with liveaboards whenever the opportunity presents itself. Plus that is a huge reason I keep posting threads asking various questions....because i KNOW you guys will give me your honest unfiltered opinions!

PNW Jeff; said:
While the wait list is 2 years, it may be less if we go with a larger slip, which we may have to do. All advise I have been given is get the boat first, the slip is easier to sort out (for example, there are always sublet opportunities at Shilshole...you just have go be ok with moving your boat around once every few months until you get your final slip).
Cool, you've checked all my boxes. Brokers often have access to, or leverage on, moorage that the private buyer isn't told about.

My understanding is that a law was passed a handful of years back that made financing liveaboard too difficult or risky. We were pointed towards Essex lending. Looking at their website, it looks like they DO finance boats and RVs for liveaboard.

Anyone have any experience with Essex?

Laws have been blamed but the only laws passed have pertained in general to financing of homes, which live aboard is one. Nothing that targets live aboard brokers but often lenders use such excuses. Reality is some lenders choose to and some don't. Essex has a good reputation.

Appropriately, standards for liveaboard are more stringent than others. The reason is that they have no permanent connection to land or a specific location. More difficult to track down. No other equity. All their worldly possessions are portable.

With a budget of $150k I would recommend the Bayliner 4588. Budget $2k to remove the bow pulpit and you're a 49 foot LOA. The Hino engines are nearly bulletproof and individually sleeved, so if needed in the future the engines can be rebuilt without being removed from the boat. Interior space is the best around for a boat that size.

Jeff, I've been watching this thread and enjoying what's been said. I agree with most of it and disagree with a few things that have been written.

One recurring thought I've had: I wish I was again in my mid-30's without all the baggage ("Stuff") I've acquired along the way and had the freedom to do what you two are going to be doing.

You appear to be going into this with your eyes (and ears) wide open and those are good ways to approach this move.

You're young, and if you make all the right choices regarding a boat you're going to look back on this part of your lives and enjoy all the memories. You likely won't have all your choices be the best ones but you won't know that until a while after those choices have been made. But, what the heck, you're young and will have ample time and energy to recover from any mistakes.

When you do make this move to live aboard your boat, please keep us informed as to what you found that was unexpected and how things are going. It'll be an interesting thread to read.

My best to the four of you as you move forward. Fair winds, calm seas and blue skies.

I wouldn't be too worried about the total lack of experience with larger boats, you'll mostly be in the marina to start, you take it out in the morning and at dusk while there's little wind, practice your slow turns, reverse, etc. That's been my experience so far having purchased my 42' DeFever aft cabin trawler last year with no prior boating experience.

Dealing with financing companies/marinas was a pain in the ass, I ended up skipping the financing and purchasing a boat I could pay cash for. I paid $55k for the DeFever and toured 6-8 other boats before picking it. I was sold on the fuel consumption and the condition the previous owners kept the boat in.

I was on a waitlist for 6 months before the marina approved me. I had to sneak aboard/couch surf/stay with my then-separated wife during that time. I could stay at the boat 3 nights a week, and I pretty much stuck to it, but I still got a nasty gram in the mail from the marina saying that I had been caught "living aboard" and was violating the rental agreement.

As far as showering/laundry, I mainly used the marina facilities. My clothes did absorb a boaty smell that wasn't too pleasant and I found difficult to mask, but eventually got used to it. I kept a couple dehumidifiers running to keep the humidity down, and being in SoCal, didn't have to worry much about heat (although the boat does have central AC/heat).

As an owner you need to have an appetite for maintenance and cleaning, other wise any money you think you would be saving will be going to mechanics and boat yards instead. Assuming you have that, then I would say go for it, you have plenty of time/energy to learn along the way (FWIW I am 35 too).

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,
After sailing for thirty years in the Baltic sea (Finland , Sweden etc) we wanted a change. We wanted an even floor from transom to the bow with a minimum of steps. We wanted a cockpit with hard top for rainy days and as big flying bridge as possible for sunny days. We wanted as much space in the saloon as possible. All this lead to an EU model with kitchen up solution and we where happy to find a Grand Banks 42 EU from 1997 . Living onboard wintertime requires good insulation so I would change windows and add plenty of insulation where ever possible. Love the idea about living on board but not realistic in this part of the world. Good luck with your search. Johan

Back
Top Bottom