Highfield inflatable RIB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boat poker,
Glad to see things are working out for the oar. If that's the worst that happens during your trip you are ahead of the game. I sure would like to have my toes in the sand in the islands:). Mid Atlantic area has 40 mile wind gust and temps in the 20's, stinks.
How do you secure that rig to your boat?

How do you secure that rig to your boat?

By "rig" I guess you mean the dinghy ... We lift it with a manual winch on the boom and slide it onto ss rails on the cabin top. The winch is an ss trailer winch bolted to an aluminum plate which is welded to the boom. The ss rails that the dinghy slides on are 1" thick walled ss on regular stanchion fittings. Simple and easy.

Attachments

• dink up.jpg
    dink up.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 67
Maybe after you get your oars you can tell us the "rest of the story"...like how you 'lost' an oar. You didn't really think we'd let that one go by without asking, did you? :whistling: :popcorn:

Last edited:
Lost the oar while towing the dink.

Finally got the oar. Highfield came through and very promptly however I then had to deal with DHL and Bahamian Customs. DHL ... completely incompetent and unhelpful, Bahamian Customs ... their own website says boats under a cruising license pay no duty on boat parts imported for that vessel .... BS they charge what they feel like and then add on customs processing fees, customs service charges, VAT and duty then VAT on the Duty added up to over 400%. They just make it up as they go along. 27 emails and I think 8 phone calls over a week to get my oar released from DHL/customs. DO NOT use DHL, DO NOT import anything to Bahamas if it can be avoided. A guy a few slips down paid 3k duty/fees on a 5k sail last week. Still love this place tho', take it in stride

Lost the oar while towing the dink.

Finally got the oar. Highfield came through and very promptly...
How does the loss epidemic happen,are Highfield oars not captive? On our "Island Inflatables" (Aussie brand, Korean made) the oars are secured with a large ss threaded pin with a knob to screw down, which becomes the oar pivot, effectively a rowlock. Plus at the blade end they clip into a rubber type fitting when not in use. Hard to lose, you`d have to work at it.

If you're regularly out of the country, places experienced in sending items such as St. Brendan's Isle are extremely helpful. Have the item shipped to them and have them ship it to you. They can save you a lot of trouble and some money.

How does the loss epidemic happen,are Highfield oars not captive? On our "Island Inflatables" (Aussie brand, Korean made) the oars are secured with a large ss threaded pin with a knob to screw down, which becomes the oar pivot, effectively a rowlock. Plus at the blade end they clip into a rubber type fitting when not in use. Hard to lose, you`d have to work at it.

Highfield has the same arrangement. All I can think if is that the knob came loose through vibration or I didn't have it tightened enough. The blade end is secured with a velcro strap .... not the best way. Been doing this since 1994 and this is the third time I have not had the dink up in davits .... I have stories about the other two times as well. I should know better :)

Highfield has the same arrangement. All I can think if is that the knob came loose through vibration or I didn't have it tightened enough. The blade end is secured with a velcro strap .... not the best way. Been doing this since 1994 and this is the third time I have not had the dink up in davits .... I have stories about the other two times as well. I should know better :)

Was the third time the charm or was it three strikes you're out? Do you feel like maybe the title of this thread needs an update?

Do you feel like maybe the title of this thread needs an update?

Can that be done ? Considering how the President of Highfield came through I'd like to remove "poor service" from the title.

Last edited:
Can that be done ? Considering how the President of Highfield came through I'd like to remove "poor service" from the title.
Sounds fair, credit where credit is due.
Is Highfield US made, or an import(?China). Fairly sure I saw the brand here.

Yes, just ask a mod. The easiest way it to report your own post and in the message put what you want.

Yes, just ask a mod. The easiest way it to report your own post and in the message put what you want.

I'll do that now, thanks.

BruceK, yes they are in China. They got the oar from China to Bahamas faster than I could get it through DHL and Bahamian Customs

Last edited:
I'm seeing a lot of praise for the manufacturer in this thread.
Clearly, Highfield deserves praise for fixing a problem caused by an inattentive dealer(s) but I'm not so sure that this is enough for me to consider one of their products.
I would equate their sending the oars, free of charge, as treating the symptom. Yes, it is a great response to a customer in need but if you have to bypass a dealer network in order to get service there is a larger problem looming.
No company gets it right all of the time but clearly their dealer network is not doing the job I would demand and no company is really better than their representatives.
Maybe this is an isolated case, it happens but it would be enough for me to think twice...
There are great dealers out there and that would be high on my list of factors to to consider.
Just sayin...
Bruce

I'm seeing a lot of praise for the manufacturer in this thread.
Clearly, Highfield deserves praise for fixing a problem caused by an inattentive dealer(s) but I'm not so sure that this is enough for me to consider one of their products.
I would equate their sending the oars, free of charge, as treating the symptom. Yes, it is a great response to a customer in need but if you have to bypass a dealer network in order to get service there is a larger problem looming.
No company gets it right all of the time but clearly their dealer network is not doing the job I would demand and no company is really better than their representatives.
Maybe this is an isolated case, it happens but it would be enough for me to think twice...
There are great dealers out there and that would be high on my list of factors to to consider.
Just sayin...
Bruce

Fair point

We purchased a highfield dink last July from Annapolis Inflatables. Great boat for the money. No experience with Highfield customer service, however Annapolis Inflatables have served us well on two dingy's thus far. Happy with this brand.

Here is the installation. Like magic. But clearly coastal only in this configuration.

Attachments

• IMG_4605.jpg
    IMG_4605.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 58

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom