High water alarm problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Got into some heavy water traveling down the California coast from Dana Point to Oceanside. Only twenty miles but it turned into an uncomfortable 2 1/2 hour ride. Only five to six foot waves but short intervals. Could not stay seated in the flybridge seat without getting; tossed into the steering wheel. Zero visibility from the lower helm station with all the water comin' over. While all this poundin' is goin' on the high water alarm goes off. Check the bilge and all is well. Problem: cannot shut off the alarm by puttiin' it on "mute." After a while it stopped screechin' but started and stopped again. Got to Oceanside and removed the alarm. Both 9 volts batts were good but still would not "mute" when I shorted the leads. What now?

Attachments

• Catalina 2015 024 (1280x960).jpg
    Catalina 2015 024 (1280x960).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 88
It has a switch that activates it - it's probably gunked up with something.

Get rid of that crap, tie your high water pump to your horn via the switch wire that runs the pump. Won't work on a self contained. Pump runs. Horn sounds. Oh- best part. To spin the bilge pump once a month you simply have to leave the slip and hit one short blast...

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Buy a decent high water alarm. Johnson Pump makes a good one.

Those are good Alarms. I'd just by another one.

Those are very good high water alarms. I've never seen the mute fail on one. In fact I've never seen one fail in anyway. Contact the manufacturer.

It also sounds like you need to move or replace the switch that sets off the alarm. Because it sounds like it was going off for no other reason than the water sloshing in your bilge or just due to the boats motion. Either way you need to correct that.

Last edited:
I called West Marine and got the usual, " we no longer support that product, buy a new one." Took apart the cylinder of the high water float switch and cleaned out the gunk. Voila, the thing works again! I'm guessin' the float switch thingy was stickin'.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom