Old 08-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Hi-Output Alternator (GM Style - other than Balmar))

Any tips on a reasonably priced (versus Balmar) hi-output alternator that charges at relatively low RPMs? Older GM style mount on my Perkins 4.236. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
I replaced my dead Delco on my Perkins 6.354 with an Arco Marine 60122 105 amp. It was not an exact replacement. The supplied pulley 2.8"x10MM had a slightly smaller diameter which affected the tach accuracy and belt life. Found the right size (3.0"x13MM) for $30 online. The field wires needed the plug cut off and ring terminals added. The alignment was not perfect. Corrected with a couple 3/8" flat washers for spacers. The higher output needed a heavier output cable.
The 60122 handles the charge duty for my 6 - Golf cart 6 volt battery bank without meltdown at my 1650 rpm cruise speed and still outputs full 105A.
Or
You can find a higher output Delco alternator that will bolt right up except for the higher output cable. I can't remember the details but the old Delco was a model 10SI.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Thanks Archie. I found a YouTube online for a company in Knoxville TN who makes billet-style alternators (www.mechman.com). Since they were US made, I gave them a call - interesting conversation. Short of it is that they would be happy to make me a reasonably priced alternator, but for my use - 6-golf cart batteries, he said that the Balmar's multi-stage charging was the gold standard (FYI - they do not sell Balmar, so a credible statement). As he put it, their alternators are for cars with a lot of accessories and are made to "fill a hole as quickly as possible." In the past, a knowledgeable person recommended Leece Neville large frame with an adjustable regulator, however I was unable to find one for older GM-style mount. In the end, may just bite the bullet with Balmar.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
CMS

City: Casco Bay
We now have quite a few externally regulated Delco, Hitachi and Motorola/Leece-Neville frame options in the MarineHowTo.com web store.

This now includes direct replacements for the now defunct Ample Power alternators, only they have been tweaked/improved upon even further...

https://shop.marinehowto.com/t/alternators--regulators

Old 08-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
We now have quite a few externally regulated Delco, Hitachi and Motorola/Leece-Neville frame options in the MarineHowTo.com web store.

This now includes direct replacements for the now defunct Ample Power alternators, only they have been tweaked/improved upon even further...

https://shop.marinehowto.com/t/alternators--regulators

There's nobody I'd rather deal with than Rod/CMS. No one knows their stuff like Rod...nobody.

I recently burned up a Balmar and Rod knew just the questions to ask and had the perfect explanation for why it happened. In the end, it was a combination of my misprogramming the 614 ext regulator for length of time for bulk and absorption, a period of high charge demand and low RPM following a prolonged anchorage that caused excessive heat buildup and the installer placing the alternator temp probe on the ground stud instead of the threaded hole in the side of the case. (On that 621 alternator, the ground stud is a modified side post to accommodate tight installations and doesn't work well as a temp sense connection.)

I've had the Balmar rebuilt with Balmar parts and reinstalled. In the process, I learned a thing or two about programming the 614. Thanks to all who have posted helpful info here on TF. I found it invaluable in deciphering the box.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:55 AM   #6
FF
Guru

"In the past, a knowledgeable person recommended Leece Neville large frame with an adjustable regulator, however I was unable to find one for older GM-style mount."

Plan B might be to just install a large frame alt that is fine with high output for long run times.
A bit of work , but the price is usually right $135 for a 135A output , plus a pulley , fan and an external regulator.

The rewound 55a car alts do have cooling and longevity problems.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Leece Neville offers alternators for most any mount. It may take a trip to a store that specializes in alternator and starter repair to order the one you need. If you look on Balmar's website, they now offer some high output alternators that are either rebranded Leece Neville or copies of their large frame alternators.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #8

City: East Islip
Vessel Name: Giddy II
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 32
I completely agree with FlyWright.
Rods da man
Mike GB32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #9
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
For a super-robust large frame, check out Zena alternators. Their high output 250A uses a remote diode assembly, gets the diodes away from the heat of the windings. Not cheap, but very robust.

Amptech also offers small-frame custom built alternators in a variety of capacities. They're built with heavier windings, more robust diodes, and are configured for external regulation. I've had good experience with their customer service.

With alternators, bigger is better. They just don't like being hot. Running an alternator at or near full field for any length of time is a real test of how robust the construction is. Temperature monitoring is, IMO a must for any that are asked to charge a large-ish house bank.

I run my Zena 250A at 90%+ field strength for many continuous hours, never any problems, temps stay within the limits of the Balmar regulator. (<108C)

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote