Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
Guru
 
bligh's Avatar
 
City: Santa Cruz, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,097
HEY! I'm a 'GURU'

I'm not sure what I did to achieve this most elevated status, but from now on I would prefer to be addressed as "Master guru bligh"

gu·ru
ˈgo͝oro͞o,go͝oˈro͞o/

noun

noun: guru; plural noun: gurus
(in Hinduism and Buddhism) a spiritual teacher, especially one who imparts initiation.
synonyms:spiritual teacher, teacher, tutor, sage, mentor, spiritual leader, leader, master; Moreswami, maharishi
"a Hindu guru and mystic"



antonyms:disciple

  • each of the ten first leaders of the Sikh religion.

  • an influential teacher or popular expert.
    "a management guru"

__________________
Advertisement

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Guru
 
rochepoint's Avatar
 
City: Sidney BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,192
500 posts............
__________________

__________________
Cheers Mike Barge
MV Rochepoint
Sidney, British Columbia.
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
I'm not sure what I did to achieve this most elevated status, but from now on I would prefer to be addressed as "Master guru bligh"

gu·ru
ˈgo͝oro͞o,go͝oˈro͞o/

noun

noun: guru; plural noun: gurus
(in Hinduism and Buddhism) a spiritual teacher, especially one who imparts initiation.
synonyms:spiritual teacher, teacher, tutor, sage, mentor, spiritual leader, leader, master; Moreswami, maharishi
"a Hindu guru and mystic"



antonyms:disciple

  • each of the ten first leaders of the Sikh religion.

  • an influential teacher or popular expert.
    "a management guru"

Bligh,

It has been deemed by the all knowing powers behind the strings of the great Trawler Forum that you have suffered flagellation and financial deprivation enough to reach the exalted heights of Guru. From now on you shall wonder how this new knowledge has come upon you. You will find yourself philosophying and pontificating about things until now you had no idea of. Welcome brother.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Country: Port of St Augustine ,FL
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,959
Congrats!! I like your posts/contributions to the forum! keep em coming!
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,262
I prefer to be self-labeled. I'm definitely no guru, but in charge of a boat and continuing to learn.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Country: Port of St Augustine ,FL
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,959
I think I agree with Mark! I'm in charge of a boat also, but the older I get, the more I need to learn.
Wish I was 17 again, cause I knew it all!!!
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #7
Guru
 
janice142's Avatar
 
City: St. Pete, FL
Country: USofA
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 914
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Wish I was 17 again, cause I knew it all!!!
Me too.
Heck, I wish I was half as smart as I "knew" I was back then. Okay, let's put it this way: I met Calder ("the" Calder) and because I had more miles at the helm back then was insufferable and not even a bit polite. I did get read the riot act too and still remember the dressing down I got (and deserved)

The audacity appalls me today when I recall some of the boner stuff I did back then and how certain I was that I was correct and the world needed to get with the program.

I survived though, and hopefully have learned a bit since then. (still blushing though)
__________________
Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat...
http://janice142.com
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #8
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,849
Janice that reminds me of a funeral service for a life long, and I mean from 6 years old, friend. The minister doing the service knew him well, and lived across the street from him. Here's what he said during the eulogy.

"He was always certain, but not always right."

Never forgot that.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #9
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,669
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Me too.
Heck, I wish I was half as smart as I "knew" I was back then. Okay, let's put it this way: I met Calder ("the" Calder) and because I had more miles at the helm back then was insufferable and not even a bit polite. I did get read the riot act too and still remember the dressing down I got (and deserved)
The audacity appalls me today when I recall some of the boner stuff I did back then and how certain I was that I was correct and the world needed to get with the program.
I survived though, and hopefully have learned a bit since then. (still blushing though)
Janice, maybe the fact when young one feels invulnerable and knows much more than the oldies is the only way we have the courage to press on and live our lives. If we really knew what the oldies knew, and were truly aware of what lay before us, we might just want to roll up in a blanket and let the world go by.

Actually, thanks to computers and the interweb, the fact young folk can and do find out living a virtual cyberlife is less stressful than real life is creating a whole new mental health catergory. Mainly young men, who won't move off there computer and out of their bedroom to get a real life. I'm seeing it worryingly often these days. It's called social phobia. So...maybe a degree of ignorance is bliss, as the old saying goes. And there is usually more than a speck of truth to old sayings, is there not..?
__________________

__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012