Old 01-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Survey, engine survey, and sea trial tomorrow.

Feeling optimistic.

Only issue is the forecast for Stuart tomorrow.

REAL snotty.
To me there are some advantages to that for a sea trial. You've got the ICW for smooth but can run outside to see how it will handle rough seas. When the water is like glass, every boat rides well. Plus it's also more likely to show other issues.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #22
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Starting at 8am. Should be done mid-afternoon.

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Any news, Menzies?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #24
Guru

OK, an update.

Did all the surveys. It poured with rain and blew. Which proved no window leaks at least!

There were a number of engine room issues, none insurmountable. I had the surveying company (local Lugger auth.) give me the estimates for everything.

The hull was fine apart from a couple of issues - around 2 dozen blisters, and both cutlass bearing need replaced. Also a seal in the port stabilizer. Again, all fixable.

My biggest concern was the genset. The exhaust riser has a serious crack in it. So one of the engine surveyors had to sit and watch it while we ran it. Engine itself seems fine, but when we put a load on it the engine started to die - way more than it should for a 16KW genny. Also the hrtz ran between 54-60, which should not be happening. So that will have to be troubleshot.

So, we went back to the sellers and sent the surveys and asked them to do the work using our surveying company and we would go ahead with the original agreed price. Or we would agree on a reduced price and we would do the work. Of course there is some risk there re genny. We decided on the latter.

So we agreed on the reduced price and we close mid next week. After which the mechanics will start work and do all of the critical work (mostly seals, oil leaks, hoses, pumps, risers, etc.) and we will bring her back to the yard in Jax to have the rest of the engine room finished and the bottom redone. Probably at Lambs.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Congrats, Menzies! You're getting a great looking vessel! You must be thrilled....and a little scared.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #26
Guru

The update sounds great. Issues identified, reduction, plan. I prefer the choice of you fixing the items too. That way you know if extra is run across that you'll fix it as well so the work will be right and complete. It will run more than you estimated but that's because along the way you'll find other small things. However, if the seller had made the repairs then you would have found those additional things after purchase.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
What type of hull do these boats have? If I remember correctly, the GAs were powered to plane. I know this particular boat is not. But it is a semi planing hull or does it lean towards a modified V???
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #28
Guru

Here you go... below the waterline photos at the end.

It may take a minute or so to load.

http://s329.photobucket.com/user/PAS...rand%20Alaskan
Old 02-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #29

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
Oh man, you didn't pay good money for that. Tell ya what, you seem like a nice guy so I'll take it off your hands; sight unseen.

Beautiful vessel.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Congrats, Menzies! You're getting a great looking vessel! You must be thrilled....and a little scared.
Thrilled definitely. So is the missus.

Scared? Maybe not scared exactly. Moving from a 40 with big blocks to a 53 with smaller engines and a thruster I am comfortable with. Take her slow and see how she reacts and moves.

Where I am concerned is whether or not we found all the big stuff. I want to make sure that she is a safe vessel, and well found, when I am finished the work. I have a few bucks off the price to use, I just hope the other stuff I either find or choose to do (like rear and engine cameras, AIS on the bridge, its already in the PH, etc.). I also have a 15' AB RIB with a 80hp. I may consider a davit upgrade to handle that - if all of the measurements and supporting structure works out.

Of course I might be a bit scared when I see the money being handed over!
Old 02-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoft View Post
Oh man, you didn't pay good money for that. Tell ya what, you seem like a nice guy so I'll take it off your hands; sight unseen.

Beautiful vessel.
Thanks.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #32
Guru

Very nice. A lot of unique touches throughout it. One question I had. Is your arch hinged or just bolted and easily removed? Easy to see where it connects and also saw the helm information on air draft with it down, so just wondering in what way it comes down. Just a huge factor on the loop and occasionally elsewhere that it does lower. I like that need was considered.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #33
Guru

Hinged front and aft so you can hinge it either way. When it is down it is the windshield that is the bridge height.
We need to work out a way to do that with two on board and it is probably pretty heavy. And we will likely need something to rest it on. The boat has done the loop so it may have a rest in inventory. Don't know yet.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:40 PM   #34
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. M. Pretty darn sweet.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #35
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Very nice. Congrats.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:29 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Hinged front and aft so you can hinge it either way. When it is down it is the windshield that is the bridge height.
We need to work out a way to do that with two on board and it is probably pretty heavy. And we will likely need something to rest it on. The boat has done the loop so it may have a rest in inventory. Don't know yet.
Very good feature. You can create a way to ease it down, holding it in place so it goes slowly. Depending on it's weight, you could even use a couple of straps with ratchets to ease it down slowly. It may not be as heavy as you fear. Is it fiberglass or aluminum? Many arches on glass boats are aluminum to reduce weight.

I saw other very cool touches on the boat but this was just the one that struck me as so helpful, really easy for the builder but just not done most of the time. That does create a lot of aftermarket business for people like Pipewelders I guess.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #37
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
The split in the exhaust elbow of the gen is common if it hasn't been upgraded to a stainless unit. Cost is about $325 for the stainless elbow and a couple of hours to put the new one on if it's your first time

It will also reduce your exhaust smell in the ER as well, not sure of the location of your local genset dealer but Northern lights elbows are available in Riveria Beach off the shelf.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:53 PM   #38
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Also your arch is like mine they are much heavier than you would think it will take at least three strong souls to lower it (mainly at the start until you reach the tipping point) onto the supports that are made of what ever you wish. Two can raise it but three is better.

When we did the loop the local marina on the Hudson built an arch stand that worked very well made out of 2x4 and wrapped in bubble wrap.

Check to make sure you have an extra wire loop usually under the port side flybridge settee which will allow the arch to fold back without removing the wiring off of the items attached on top of the arch. Your arch is also probably foam filled which makes running new wires a PIA so the first time you feed a line leave a trace line inside the arch it will make it soooo much easier next time.

Enjoy she looks pretty clean
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #39
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Awesome vessel! Love that interior woodwork. A brute.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
Also your arch is like mine they are much heavier than you would think it will take at least three strong souls to lower it (mainly at the start until you reach the tipping point) onto the supports that are made of what ever you wish. Two can raise it but three is better.

When we did the loop the local marina on the Hudson built an arch stand that worked very well made out of 2x4 and wrapped in bubble wrap.

Check to make sure you have an extra wire loop usually under the port side flybridge settee which will allow the arch to fold back without removing the wiring off of the items attached on top of the arch. Your arch is also probably foam filled which makes running new wires a PIA so the first time you feed a line leave a trace line inside the arch it will make it soooo much easier next time.

Enjoy she looks pretty clean
Thanks. We will look for that wiring. We just didn't have the time to crawl around her at initial showing or survey. But it will take three days to bring her from Stuart to Jax, during which time we will start to learn the systems and find out more about her.

A mysterious woman to be discovered!