Old 01-11-2014, 03:16 AM   #1

City: Skagway Alaska
Vessel Name: Nowitna and Serenade
Vessel Model: Schucker and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom sailboat
Here is one to talk about

If only I was rich.

1997 Beebe Design Pilothouse LRC/Passagemaker Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
My favorite meal.....meat and potatoes! I'd skip the desert for that one. A real man's engine room.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Puerto Escondido, Baja California Sur, Mexico
Vessel Name: Pacific
Vessel Model: DeFever 38
I've had the pleasure to crew aboard Tortuga on several passages to and from Mexico. The boat was lovingly built by the owner and is a real "battleship". Many fond memories of those cruises.
BajaTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #4

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Wataworld
Vessel Model: Defever 44+5
Talk about throwback Thursday's for 1997!
Wataworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #5

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Nice lines and sturdy hull, but it's a project boat.
Not as safe and professional construction as implied ...

Old 01-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. R. Agreed. Aside from the "home made" rudder housing, is the cloth/mat fully wetted out at the base of the transom?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Not as safe and professional construction as implied ...

Good Grief!
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
Guru

Even my Taiwan trawler has a more professional steering set-up than that. The only time I saw something similar was on a boat built from a defected hull that was destined for a landfill by the manufacturer and got sidetracked to an unscrupulous builder. The builder slapped it together and sold it to some poor soul.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Nice lines and sturdy hull, but it's a project boat. Not as safe and professional construction as implied ...
I agree how are you supposed to passage make with that setup?! And as RTF mentioned the matt doesn't looked fully wetted out, that could be a big problem!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
I'm not too sure Beebe would be pleased with this one. One look at a 17 year old Nordhavn 46 or DeFever 48/49 would aptly illustrate considerable difference in build quality and robustness.

I was recently looking at a new build based upon Bruce Roberts plans. The plans and the execution diverged a bit turning a $1+ M asset into into a WTF? It happens.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #11
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
A questionable rudder system is not the mark of a good PM but she's and old boat and posted here on TF. Some refitting of the rudder system shouldn't be any kind of deal breaker for one serious about such a boat. How often does such a boat become available? Very rarely and anyone looking for an old passage maker should find this boat a gold mine.

It's a monster and I don't like big boats but if I could afford it (including the moorage) I'd be hot on it. Mitsubishi power ... like Willy!

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Eric

Did you look at all the pictures?
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Built in Lodi, CA???

There's a lot of wineries in Lodi but no boat yards that I'm aware of. No navigable waterways either.

FlyWright am I missing something here?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #14
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Boy you guys are brutal!

Home built boat for sure.. it does appear to be built a bit light in some areas..

The first thing I noticed was all the square corners in the pilothouse... Since you spend so much time in the pilothouse of a passage maker it is imperative to have soft corners... when a boat starts to roll around on a passage those hard edges would be brutal.

I know the Beebe Passage maker design is well proven but I personally need to be proud to point out to my boat floating at anchor.. that one not so much.

Rarely are on off home built boats well thought out.. most are meant to just satisfy the needs of the builder.. and a lot of builders have a romantic notion of the Sea and have little practical knowelege of what makes a boat proper and how important "good lines" are.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #15
Guru

Well the need for this builder was to go great distances upon the sea.

Tom says "Did you look at all the pictures?" I did. Looks like a very roomy vessel w lots of comforts and designed and fitted out to be away from services for long periods. Perhaps it's the $39.00 motel room styling you're not liking Tom but I could live w that easily. Cushions and other upholstery would even get the boot w me and tasteful pastel colors would coat the plywood finish. But for me Tom it's just tooooo BIG.

My VUP is copyrighted 1994 and on page 97 there is a near duplicate of this boat. Called design #96. Has the same beam, draft, fuel capacity and much else. But almost 4' shorter.

I agree w Hollywood the sharp corners aren't great for PM but I suspect this boat will do offshore cruising like SE AK on the outside, The Gulf and anywhere else in AK in the summer.

A sensibly powered boat w 3.6hp per ton. If anyone is serious about this boat I can find out much about the Mitsu engine. I suspect it's the same engine found in a horde of Canadian fish boats. Klassen was putting engines in fish boats at least in the early 70s and quite likely before.

Hollywood, Sounds like you think there's something wrong w the "lines".
I assume you mean hull lines.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I hope my previous post was not taken as being brutal, if so that was not the intent. I only read the broker written ad copy and saw no pictures due to page load speed.

Now that I've seen the pictures and realize it is home built it's not bad. Those 2400 hours on the main tells me it has been well used and hardly a Delta dock queen. Another thing is its a whole lot better looking than many of the home built boats I have been aboard.

This boat appeals to me in its simplicity much like diesel ducks do. I still wonder why the broker made such a big deal about its build location as anyone who has ever been to Lodi would never think it synonymous for building a passage maker. Wonder if the current owner was the builder?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #17
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
RTL brings out some important points. The rudder system looks a bit light, yes, but how hard would it be to make it what you wanted with that kind of access. I'd take it, square corners and all.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #18
Guru

I agree Craig ... like a Diesel Duck.

Going places in comfort.

Here's an interesting boat that is very similar to the Beebe and it's in our yard .. boat yard. Know nothing about her but it looks like she was planked w Hemlock. Don't know the story but it's interesting that the planking below the WL seems to be in better shape. Don't even know if she's salvageable but she has a nice hull form similar to the Beebe.

I over exposed the third pic so you can see her bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1291 copy.jpg   DSCF1290 copy.jpg   DSCF1289 copy.jpg  

Old 01-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #19
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I know the boat

I actually considered buying this boat 5 years ago. I passed because there was too many things that needed changing to suit my taste. But let me tell you the hull is not one of them. This boat destroyed half the boats in a marina in La Paz during a hurricane. They called her El Gordo. The gunnels are made from 2x6 trailer decking. The hull is very fair and the boat is very spacious. The owner started cutting corners finishing her out . Trailer stove and trailer air conditioning, no sound deadening . Lots of strange ideas when it came to rigging. The boat originally ran two engines on one shaft. There is a new large engine driven 240 alternator that is mounted but connected. The twin engine idea didn't work out so she now runs on just one of the original two, I believe the boat comes with a spare engine that is almost new. The engines are industrial Mitsubishi high torque diesels. The thruster is hydrolic and requires taking the boat out of gear and raising engine rpm's to operate. The boat has cruised to Baha at least twice. Two and from Stockton. This boat would make a hell of a good project boat for someone with good mechanical skills. When I looked at her the owner builder wanted way too much money for her, but that was five years ago. The boat has a large pilot house aft where the ride is best. The aft deck if I remember correctly is mostly covered with a small cockpit. This is a serious boat for rough weather. The interior is rough but there is a hell of a lot of room to work with. The structure of this boat is very stout.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #20
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Well the need for this builder was to go great distances upon the sea.

Tom says "Did you look at all the pictures?" I did. Looks like a very roomy vessel w lots of comforts and designed and fitted out to be away from services for long periods. Perhaps it's the $39.00 motel room styling you're not liking Tom but I could live w that easily. Cushions and other upholstery would even get the boot w me and tasteful pastel colors would coat the plywood finish. But for me Tom it's just tooooo BIG.

My VUP is copyrighted 1994 and on page 97 there is a near duplicate of this boat. Called design #96. Has the same beam, draft, fuel capacity and much else. But almost 4' shorter.

I agree w Hollywood the sharp corners aren't great for PM but I suspect this boat will do offshore cruising like SE AK on the outside, The Gulf and anywhere else in AK in the summer.

A sensibly powered boat w 3.6hp per ton. If anyone is serious about this boat I can find out much about the Mitsu engine. I suspect it's the same engine found in a horde of Canadian fish boats. Klassen was putting engines in fish boats at least in the early 70s and quite likely before.

Hollywood, Sounds like you think there's something wrong w the "lines".
I assume you mean hull lines.

The pic of the rudder post says volumns...no way that build is up to passagemaking.. just from memory...
The rudderpost base is too small to take much in the way of side loads or any real loads.
Also it is almost unsupported except for those little metal struts.
The tiny hydraulic cylinder is on a wood support that doesn't look right.
The layup of the glass cloth is either dry or has been subject to flex.
The thru hulls should be double hose clamped.
The thru hulls should have a glass build up to spread the load
The platform bolts should have backing plates not small washers.
It looked like there may be mild steel washers on the hrackets due to the present rust streaks.
The rudder post plate should have a build up of glass to spread the load to the hull.

This is just the stuff I noticed in the pic of the rudder post.

Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote