Old 01-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #21
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
The owner was the builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I hope my previous post was not taken as being brutal, if so that was not the intent. I only read the broker written ad copy and saw no pictures due to page load speed.

Now that I've seen the pictures and realize it is home built it's not bad. Those 2400 hours on the main tells me it has been well used and hardly a Delta dock queen. Another thing is its a whole lot better looking than many of the home built boats I have been aboard.

This boat appeals to me in its simplicity much like diesel ducks do. I still wonder why the broker made such a big deal about its build location as anyone who has ever been to Lodi would never think it synonymous for building a passage maker. Wonder if the current owner was the builder?
The owner was a Lodi building contractor who built the boat in a Lodi Warehouse. After reviewing the photos the interior looks better than I remember. He had cruised with a huge freezer under the settee cushions. The price still seems high. Down at least as much in the five years or so it's been on the market.

Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 AM   #22

City: Skagway Alaska
Vessel Name: Nowitna and Yukon
Vessel Model: Schucker and 53 foot wood homemade
I emailed the broker and asked how long the boat had been for sale and the broker replied about one month.

freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
I emailed the broker and asked how long the boat had been for sale and the broker replied about one month.
What else would one expect a broker to say.

For a few hundred K this vessel could be done better, or just buy an already done right vessel like Scary did. To add to Hollywood's list a new instrument package would be nice too. I'll stop there.

A very nice steel vessel named Sonata was built in a CA backyard. It made the cover of PMM and is now seriously for sale.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #24

when a broker starts lying then that's a deal breaker for me. I expect a broker to answer a question honestly to the best of his liabilities.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #25

I meant to say to the best of his abilities.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #26
Guru

I would guess the boat has just been relisted

I can't remember if the boat was listed with a broker or I was dealing with the owner, I believe I saw the boat on the net. I know at that time I met with the owner without a broker. I believe the rudder is tied into the bottom of the keel as well. The owner has photos of the build and travels to Baha. I also don't think the owner was motivated to sell when I looked at the boat.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #27

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Here is another home built boat ... looking good 46' steel trawler. Although a bit shorter, this could be a much better boat for less money: 2001 Custom 46 Steel LRC Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Quote:
If your dream is of blue-water passage-making but your budget can't afford a Kadey-Krogen or Nordhavn, then GWENDOLYN may be a perfect choice for you. Without a doubt, she is one of the nicest home-built steel trawlers we have ever seen. Her construction process was monitored routinely by one of Eastern Ontario's foremost surveyors who was very impressed by the quality of her build. She also comes with a complete set of documentation that covers her design, materials used, operating instructions, maintenance requirements, etc.
With her efficient 150 hp John Deere diesel and her 1400 gallons of fuel, she definitely can be termed as a Long Range Cruiser. According to her owner, she burns approximately 2.5 gallons per hour at 8.0 knots which gives her a range of 3500 miles at a half-decent speed. GWENDOLYN is a perfect candidate for those looking for a good-quality, freshwater-water only, steel trawler to take them wherever they want to go.
BTW, no relation to the boat, builder, seller or broker ...
Old 01-12-2014, 09:42 PM   #28
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
I can't remember if the boat was listed with a broker or I was dealing with the owner, I believe I saw the boat on the net. I know at that time I met with the owner without a broker. I believe the rudder is tied into the bottom of the keel as well. The owner has photos of the build and travels to Baha. I also don't think the owner was motivated to sell when I looked at the boat.

by looking at your avatar you made the right choice.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:25 PM   #29
Guru

I'm very happy with this boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
by looking at your avatar you made the right choice.

HOLLYWOOD
I looked at my 48lrc for two years while in the process of driving up and down the coast looking at other boats. I kept coming back to this boat. In the end I paid top dollar for 34 year old boat. So far so good.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #30

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Another interesting boat ... looks bad, bad a$$ boat, in a good way. A 42' aluminum commercial trawler remade as a recreational boat: Inside Passage Yacht Sales (Lopez Island, WA)

Quote:
This commercial quality aluminum trawler was launched in 2005, built by Carlson Marine of Astoria, Oregon to be used as commercial crabber. The current owners saw an extremely strong, safe and seaworthy vessel that would be the perfect platform for a luxurious family cruising trawler. They have done an amazing job from stem to stern of redesigning the interiors and mechanical systems to transforming this solid commercial vessel into the ultimate family vacation platform.
BTW, no relation to the boat, builder, seller or broker ...
Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #31

City: Central Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Here is another home built boat ... 46' steel trawler.

I REALLY like that boat.

That's pretty much the prototype of the sort of boat I am narrowing down to.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #32
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Yeah....it does look very good, if not bow-down plowing a bit. I didn't see an mention of the draft anywhere, but she doesn't look too deep. Very nice conversion.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #33

City: Central Ohio
I really, REALLY like the idea of a semi-clunky looking Steel hulled trawler that's kind of over-built for recreational use.

Sort of like the marine equivalent of a pre-1988 3/4 Ton Chevy Suburban. (Still had the solid front axle)

Then again, I'm kind of a fan of Bauhaus Architecture, so I may just have a thing for the "Form follows Function" school of design.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #34
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I have an 85 Burb w the 4 speed truck transmission (manual) and just can't seem to part w it. It's an ugly servant.

Re the fish boat conversion that looks bow sown and plowing a big bow wave it's the nature of the design. They need to haul tons of fish. More of it aft than fwd so w/o the fish they plow along bow down and stern up. Not what I like on a following sea. Since the hull is designed to carry such a load they are wide and reach their beam at the chine well fwd. Narrow sharp bows need not apply and plenty of power is the norm. But to some they have redeeming features .... like their "bad a**" look. Even more brawny than a trawler .. what more could a man want?

Looking at the picture again I see this one riding quite level but over loaded. Wonder what all he's got aboard?

Larry, most of those hulls are about the same draft as most trawlers. Some do vary though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0745 copy 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	26665  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #35
FF
Guru

Overbuilt displacement boat is fine , with many better hulls requiring 2 hp per ton to push, an extra 22,000 lbs of hull material would be a minor fuel bill, probly hard to notice.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #36
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Don't know the story but it's interesting that the planking below the WL seems to be in better shape.
It's a wooden boat. The underwater planking is always wet and not subject to the kind of weathering and rot as the planking that gets wet with fresh water and remains at the "right" moisture level to support rot.

The worst planking is usually at the waterline.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #37
Guru

FF wrote;

"Overbuilt displacement boat is fine"

Not fine at all. Overbuilt anything is bad. A waste and limit's the abilities of of whatever is overbuilt. Just like the all chain anchor rode. A waste and it limits the abilities of the rode and the boat.

Naval architects specify how a boat will be built and of what materials and the dimensions of those materials. Unless he makes a mistake (often happens) the boat should be at it's best as designed. If the boat is very well designed any change in the design will make the boat less able to achieve her design objectives.

So Fred to overbuild is not fine. But what is a boat built to in the first place? It's built to a list of objectives that may or may not be specified. Some may be implied or assumed. If you increase the thickness of the hull, add another engine and what goes with it, build a cabin on the sundeck or any other overbuilding and the boat will not perform as conceived, specified and designed. Design is an "organized solution to a problem" and if you take your eye off the ball (the "problem") you won't achieve your goals .... solution of the problem.

I'm not saying lighter is better at all times but it usually is if the original design to solve the problem is not compromised. Use plastic cleats? NO. Carbon fiber mast? NO. Remove a FB? Hmmmmmmmmm

So it's quite likely underbuilt may be preferable to overbuilt. Overbuilt may, however be safer most of the time. Changing a design is saying you know more about boat design than the NA that designed the boat. Sticking one's neck out to be sure but frequently changes are just a matter of taste. I don't want that big bed in the middle .. I want V berths. Or lets take that speaker out at the bottom and add another drawer. But you may say "I love this boat but want twin engines". Now that one you shouldn't do "off hand" but consult a NA before buying new engines ect.

But basically "overbuilt" is like putting a lead diving belt around your waist and going about your daily doings. The day wouldn't be the same. It would not be as good as usual. Overbuilt is not fine.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #38
Guru

Rick yes and if it's Douglas Fir and in seawater even better yet.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #39
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
FF wrote; "Overbuilt displacement boat is fine" Not fine at all. Overbuilt anything is bad..
Well, then I guess our boat is no good. Along with our all chain rode.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #40
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Well, then I guess our boat is no good. Along with our all chain rode. Guess I should go buy a viking sportfisherman.
Class envy abounds, the perils of owning a desirement as FF would call it.

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote