Hemingway's "Pilar" Replicated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPseudonym

Moderator Emeritus
Not sure how many here subscribe to Wooden Boat magazine but thumbing through the current issue(August #233) read a fascinating article about the replication of Hemingway's Wheeler sport-fish. A movie is to be shot this summer called Hemmingway & Fuentes detailing the exploits of the author and his captain of 20+ years. Great side bar articles relating to the boat too. The following link only shows the cover shot but the full story is well worth the newsstand cost if you find it locally.

The boat itself is quite a story of being a test platform for modern day innovations such as fly bridge etc. Definitely worth a read.

Current Issue of WoodenBoat Magazine | WoodenBoat Magazine

The boat itself is quite a story of being a test platform for modern day innovations such as fly bridge etc. Definitely worth a read.

This is ironic as "Pilar" was my inspiration when I went looking for my boat. I definitely wanted that look but not in wood.

Attachments

• Pilar Composite.jpg
    Pilar Composite.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 239
  • SeaHorse Composite.jpg
    SeaHorse Composite.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 157
There is a full size replica of Pilar that sits in the middle of the World Wide Sportsman Store in Islamarada, Florida Keys. You can actually go inside of it. It was quite basic, but well made. It caught a lot of fish, and was the inspiration for The Old Man and the Sea and Islands in the Stream. Both wonderful stories.

Hemingway loved Cuba, Bimini, Key West, and 6 toed cats.

Attachments

• Ernest:Don Composite.jpg
    Ernest:Don Composite.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 131
:facepalm:Walt come on over. We could have a TF gathering in Key West for the Hemingway Look-a-like contest. The place will be full of Hemingway wannabes. It would be a great place for a get together. Who knows? Moonstruck has been known to show up down there.

You can increase your chances 100% in Key West.:D

Hemingway loved Cuba, Bimini, Key West, and 6 toed cats.
Hemmingway's Restaurant on Santa Rosa Island, just south of Pensacola Fl. has lots of memorabilia on the walls one item is a c0py of the original purchase order for Pilar. It is very detailed and interesting to read

We saw one of the Hemmingway house six toed cats while we were in KW in 2010.

Attachments

• Six toed Cat at Hemmingway's.JPG
    Six toed Cat at Hemmingway's.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 132
:facepalm:Walt come on over. We could have a TF gathering in Key West for the Hemingway Look-a-like contest.
I would absolutely love to but my summer schedule is full until the middle of September. I have never been to KW! :blush:

Would that be at Navarre Beach?

It is about 15 miles West of Navarre on Quietwater Beach at the Pensacola Bay Bridge just across the road from Little Sabine Bay . Quietwater is a nice beach anchorage but it can get choppy in east or northeast winds, sand bottom good holding. Watch the charted shoals. You can dinghy right up to the beach. 5-6 restaurants and bars right there, you can have dinner or a drink and admire your boat.
Note: Quietwater Beach is anything but quiet on weekends or holidays in season

Last edited:
It is about 15 miles West of Navarre on Quietwater Beach at the Pensacola Bay Bridge just across the road from Little Sabine Bay . Quietwater is a nice beach anchorage but it can get choppy in east or northeast winds, sand bottom good holding. Watch the charted shoals. You can dinghy right up to the beach. 5-6 restaurants and bars right there, you can have dinner or a drink and admire your boat.
Note: Quietwater Beach is anything but quiet on weekends or holidays in season

Steve there is a great anchorage immediately west of Pensacola Pass. It is between the spoil island and the beach. Go during the week for obvious reasons. Good protection. Not much swinging room.

Steve there is a great anchorage immediately west of Pensacola Pass. It is between the spoil island and the beach. Go during the week for obvious reasons. Good protection. Not much swinging room.

That is probably Ft McRea a beautiful spot some of the whitest sand you will see anywhere yes it fills up on the weekend. There is plenty of good space to the east just outside.
The 1st picture below is taken from the spoil island looking South, the boat is my previous one a Camano 31. The brick fort is hidden in the dark grove of trees in the background. No tours but it is open to wander around.
Picture 2 sunrise taken from the Camano a beautiful spot to greet the day!

Attachments

• Ft McRea Anchorage.jpg
    Ft McRea Anchorage.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Sunrise Ft. McRea.jpg
    Sunrise Ft. McRea.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 99
The water around Pensacola on a flood tide can be the prettiest green I have ever seen. The head of Desoto Canyon comes almost right up to Pensacola Pass. I think the very deep clean water wells up out of the canyon. I have run just offshore from Perdido Pass to East Pass at Destin in water that rivaled the Bahamas.

I sign on,as a Hemingway tragic, for both his maritime books and his outstanding general literature,even those published posthumously.
Who was it who re-christened "Across the River and into the Trees" as "Across the Road and into the Bar"?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom