To help or not to help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C.O.S.T.

Vessel Name
Windrush IV
Vessel Make
CHB 34
Several weeks ago returning from Nanaimo BC to Point Roberts Washington my engine lost revs and died. I was unfortunately drifting back across the ferry route near the terminal for BC ferries. Contacting Victoria Coast Guard radio, they said they were dispatching an auxiliary to come to my aid. There were several commercial fishing boats that either did not have radios or did not monitor them as they powered on by me at a distance of about 400 feet. Even when I hailed them they ignored me. Several power pleasure craft also passed reasonably close to me as well. They to obviously did not have or monitor radios. I real big thanks to the 38 Bayliner that passed within 100 feet of me leaving a wake like a tug boat. As I was beam on to this wake I was very appreciative of their courtesy. I replied with the appropriate international hand signal covering that kind of thing. However, I really big thank you to the folks from The Royal Canadian Search and Rescue unit based out of Point Roberts. They did an amazing job of getting me and my broken boat back to dock. Friendly, professional and downright fantastic is all I can say. Also a huge thank you to the magnificent yacht Lady Gem. She went out of way to come and render assistance as well. The RCSAR got there as we were going to run a tow line. So thank you again Lady Gem, I know you broke course and went out of your way to help. I still think you should have agreed to trade boats with me though.

Several weeks ago returning from Nanaimo BC to Point Roberts Washington my engine lost revs and died. I was unfortunately drifting back across the ferry route near the terminal for BC ferries. Contacting Victoria Coast Guard radio, they said they were dispatching an auxiliary to come to my aid. There were several commercial fishing boats that either did not have radios or did not monitor them as they powered on by me at a distance of about 400 feet. Even when I hailed them they ignored me. Several power pleasure craft also passed reasonably close to me as well. They to obviously did not have or monitor radios. I real big thanks to the 38 Bayliner that passed within 100 feet of me leaving a wake like a tug boat. As I was beam on to this wake I was very appreciative of their courtesy. I replied with the appropriate international hand signal covering that kind of thing. However, I really big thank you to the folks from The Royal Canadian Search and Rescue unit based out of Point Roberts. They did an amazing job of getting me and my broken boat back to dock. Friendly, professional and downright fantastic is all I can say. Also a huge thank you to the magnificent yacht Lady Gem. She went out of way to come and render assistance as well. The RCSAR got there as we were going to run a tow line. So thank you again Lady Gem, I know you broke course and went out of your way to help. I still think you should have agreed to trade boats with me though.
Two years ago I towed a boat in your same situation. Fortunately for them my wife saw them hailing us as I did not and they did not call on the radio (in fact they ad no radio, no cell phone, no flare, in fact nothing that could have help them so they were very fortunate that we saw them, especially that on that day we cross only one other boat!).
Reality is, I think, that a lot of boater do not monitor channel 16 or understand that it is an emergency channel. Two weeks ago 2 folks were setting up their meeting point on channel 16, I was surprised not to hear cost guards warn them that channel 16 is not intended for cheat chat.

L

I find more boats in the PNW dont turn their radios on than due. When asked the reply I hear most often is “ we use that thing only when we need a slip assignment”.

COST, I hope its people with there radio off, or not audible, rather than ignoring someone in distress.

As we don't have a sea tow service an only a sparsely crewed volunteer sea rescue service which monitors the radio during daylight hours only, it is rare that anyone would ever intentionally ignore another boat needing assistance. Being isolated creates a situation where people tend to help on another wherever possible.

Still, plenty of boaters don't always monitor there radio (myself included). I'll hear it at the helm, but I am rarely there. I may not hear it if I'm on the foredeck or in the cockpit unless I've remembered to turn up the volume.

All South Australian boats in unprotected waters (2 km offshore) are required to have a vhf radio. The odd regulation is that you are not allowed to use it without a licence. A licence is not yet mandatory. The end result is that many people without a licence, leave their radio off, and only would use it in a emergency.

In areas with assistance towing or other services that will provide assistance, the trend is to ignore broken down boats, but not ones truly in immediate distress, such as fire, sinking, medical, etc..... ignoring calls isnt as common.

The reason for the trend in my experience, is that so many boaters are inexperienced seamen, but act like they are good, that towing becomes dangerous to both vessels. Once you start assisting, while not a pleasant thought, you can open yourself up to litigation if things go wrong. Certainly in the US, and I might guess many other places too.

Last edited:
In areas with assistance towing or other services that will provide assistance, the trend is to ignore broken down boats, but not ones truly in immediate distress, such as fire, sinking, medical, etc..... ignoring calls isnt as common.

The reason for the trend in my experience, is that so many boaters are inexperienced seamen, but act like they are good, that towing becomes dangerous to both vessels. Once you start assisting, while not a pleasant thought, you can open yourself up to litigation if things go wrong. Certainly in the US, and I might guess many other places too.

Towing can indeed be a dangerous proposition. You have no idea of the condition of the boat that's in distress. Pull on the wrong cleat and you've got a, literally, deadly projectile coming right at you if it breaks loose under load. This is true in either direction, you don't want one of yours coming loose either. Boats designed for towing will have sufficient hardware to handle the task and crew that understands how to rig both vessels.

I'd never ignore calls for aid. Thankfully the few times I've slowed to question a boat that appeared to be in distress they all responded that they had help on the way. I have had occasion to shuttle kids/family back to their nearby port, if just to lighten the stress for everyone onboard.

I'd think if you can't render direct aid it'd be useful to stand by to increase visibility of the situation to other nearby vessels. That and attempt to contact others over your own VHF, especially if you know locals make use of channels other than 16.

Just thinking about this...

If someone was broken down and on the windward side of a hazard then of course I would tow them to safety.

If someone was broken down and based on the radio traffic they had professional assistance on the way, and were not in danger at that time I do not get involved.

In the case of immediate threat to life or property then of course we listen up and will provide assistance.

The thoughts with a broken down vessel in a non emergency situation are complex.

Is it worth the risk to my vessle to try to attach to them to tow, when they are not in danger?

Is the time necessary to hook onto and tow someone, probably in my case many miles back to port a good use of my time when there are commercial tow operators that do this for a living and I am a guy trying to make time from my work life to enjoy the water?

That might sound selfish, and I suppose it is. Giving up a day of my time (which is really what we are talking about when you tow someone) has more value to me than the tow bill the person will recieve.

All that said, if someone is in danger we listen up, and provide assistance. If someone needs something (like the gallon of oil I gave a boater last season) we will do that. If someone needs supplies like water, or food, we are happy to help out.

Sometimes it is not as cut and dried as it seems.

We pulled a smaller fishing boat off the rocks a number of years ago on our way down the coast in Volunteer, the boat had engine trouble and was right up against the rocks inside Tatoosh Island. It was a iffy situation as a decent swell mad it pretty hard to get close to get a line across to the other boat. Luckily the timing between swells worked out and we went bow in, threw a line and immediately backed away and snagged the boat. We transferred to tow to the Coast guard about a hour later having towed them in the direction of Neah Bay. I dont think the other boat would of lasted a hour of pounding without putting the occupants in the water.

We all got lucky to be in the right place at the right time.
Was it sketchy? You bet, but I wasn't going to leave them in peril banging away on the rocks.. I wouldn't want to be in their situation so I felt obligated to help

HOLLYWOOD

Last edited by a moderator:
South Jersey, broken down..... Non emergency by definition of the USCG. Drifting into the surf, different situation.

Broken down in upper Alaska in September....different animal all together unless a lot of stars align that make it very routine.

People would see me show up get a line on them, get their anchor up and be towing in a flash....and they would say " guess you have done this before'.

But the truth is, every situation was different, from a little to a lot...If you didn't recognize that, it could turn ugly quick.

We pulled a smaller fishing boat off the rocks a number of years ago on our way down the coast in Volunteer, the boat had engine trouble and was right up against the rocks inside Tatoosh Island. It was a iffy situation as a decent swell mad it pretty hard to get close to get a line across to the other boat. Luckily the timing between swells worked out and we went bow in, threw a line and immediately backed away and snagged the boat. We transferred to tow to the Coast guard about a hour later having towed them in the direction of Neah Bay. I dont think the other boat would of lasted a hour of pounding without putting the occupants in the water.

We all got lucky to be in the right place at the right time.
Was is sketchy.. you bet, but I wasn't going to leave them in peril banging away on the rocks.. I wouldn't want to be in their situation so I felt obligated to help

HOLLYWOOD

Nice job...that is a tough call....

....even the pros wind up on the rocks or in the surf or on the bar sometimes...with much better equipment to make it off or survive if it all goes sideways.

As far as not using the radios I think that is unconscionable, License or no license.

If everyone did that then when those poeple do have trouble who do they think is going to hear them. They don't think it through. It takes all of us to monitor for the system to work at all, not just when it is convenient por when in need.

We have that same situation in Canada. But as one Coastie said if someone is in real trouble they don't really care who calls, licensee or not, or which channel it takes to find help.

As far as an operators certificate goes it is not hard to get, takes a bit of memory work and practice and you are covered.

As for the radio in the cabin and the steering outside then install a waterproof speaker outside because again if no one can hear others needing help then what use is the system at all?

Rant over.

No, I'm not a Coastie or even close but I take that VHF seriously even though I often get P.O.d at its frequent misuse/abuse.

I agree that taking someone into tow is not to be taken lightly but as suggested just standing by can be an advantage to the party in trouble and be moral support in a sometimes difficult time.

Last time I helped in a problem the owner wanted to carry on to his home marina but did not want his family aboard. He was trying to tow them in his tiny dink in choppy water. We took them aboard , towed the dinghy, and followed. As it turned out it was a minor problem once he could really look at it later but with smoke coming from the engine compartment he didn't know.
Good result. BUt without that vhf and my listening I would not have known.

In general, I'm going to check on the situation and see what the problem is. Not having psneeld's experience and expertise, my situational limits are going to be very different than his, I expect. If it's blood and bones or the potential thereof - we're going to assist however we can.

I've seen several instances (not just boating) over the years where the highly motivated good Samaritan ultimately complicated rather than helped the problem due to lack of knowledge, experience, and/or equipment - or all three.

In aviation it's called "personal minimums" - the sum of your experience, ability, equipment, and the environment that informs the "go, no go" decision.

Thanks to all the people who replied. All made good points and offered other perspectives. Weighing the risk factors compared to the needs is always the smartest way. I would do the same myself but I would at least find out if there was an emergency situation. If I had injured people aboard those commercial and pleasure craft that passed should have at least found out if it was urgent. As to the one boat that passed within 100 ft with the wake. That was just plain ignorant and stupid. For myself I will continue to monitor the radio when I am out and will offer assistance if it is possible and needed. As many said, just standing by can be just as much a benefit.

If you have an emergency, broadcast it accurately.

If you are broken down with no immediate danger, it's a hard call for others that don't have all the facts....so there isn't a lot of reasons why someone would answer you unless you tell them things are expected to deteriorate.

If broken down in or near shipping lanes, then security calls are appropriate and will probably get a better response for help.

I broke down in busy waterways quite a few times last winter, I had more "you shouldn't anchor in the channel" calls both radio and verbal than offers to help. And was waked sufficiently. So don't feel alone.....even with a rescue or assistance boat alongside, others will blast by in ignorance.

A nuclear family of four was airlifted via USCG helicopter from a sailboat aground in Suisun Bay near Port Chicago last weekend. The water was too shallow (three feet) for the small USCG boat to approach. The sailboat was abandoned, at least temporarily.

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2018-07-16#Story2

Easy enough to go aground in that bay. I did it twice in my two-foot draft sailboat. Refloated with the rising tide.

Last edited:
My boat is ill equipped for towing other than dead slow “stay off the rocks “ type tow. Those”hawser hole” cleats are far from robust. My crew has zero experience in towing anything more than an inflatable dinghy. I would not hesitate to provide life safety type assistance.to the limits of my ability.
My guess why others do not respond is lack of awareness of surroundings. I find others that I boat with have no clue nor care what other boats are doing. Freaks me out.

Last edited:
Like Fetcher, I think Kevin's approach is a good one. I've towed a number of boats, more actually with my sailboat than my current boat. The last time it happened a helpless boat was being carried down the center of the Narrows on a choppy day. We were in our sailboat with a 6 knot speed and had kept hearing a call from the USGC about an adrift vessel. By the time we got to the area an hour later the vessel was still adrift and had been passed by dozens of boats, large and small, that had either not heard the radio call or had decided to ignore it.

The boat was floating but was being carried South by the current towards the Narrows Bridge. While the odds are good that the boat wouldn't have hit the bridge, that would still have been a possibility likely resulting in the loss of the boat. It turned out to be the classic, broke, idiot, in an old sailboat with no working radio. We towed them, slowly.

In the US there are "Good Samaritan" laws that will protect you from liability if you are making a good faith effort to assist someone in trouble. That said, you may still have to go to court to exercise that law if the person you assist files a civil suit against you for something you did that they didn't like (like maybe not towing them back to their own dock).

Liability issues would be the last thing I worry about when assisting someone. That thought does not even cross my mind. Perhaps I'm foolish, but I think the liability concerns are often an excuse to do nothing.

Safety of all parties is the main consideration. A flying cleat propelled by the slingshot effect of a stretched towline can have serious consequences. A towline in your prop can put your boat in the same situation as the one you're assisting. How many times have you heard of a single swimmer in trouble resulting in multiple drownings.

Keep calm. Assess the situation. Make a plan, and a backup. Communicate your intentions. Then take action.

I have a handheld radio, but admit that I often turn it off. People chat on it, people swear which I find very offensive. Then people who do ask for help are usually so vague I wouldn't know if i was 500 feet or 50 miles from them, or if its a dire emergency or just someone over reacting like many do. Lastly I am not set up to be towing someone else. If I did hear it and it was a medical emergency, I would be willing to pull along side and take one person to the nearest port for help. But towing is not something I'll risk unless your maybe a 1000 lb PWC or dingy and need a mile tow to get nearer to the shore. I also believe that practicing redundancy ourselves as boaters is a good idea. If you are a big boat why don't you have two or more engines.
Or launch your tender and tow your own boat. Or build a bracket that can be attached to the stern and an outboard and independent gas can for said outboard for emergency use.
My current boat is a Campion with Twin Yamaha 225 outboards. But I also have a small 15 hp Yamaha outboard, and I do not like that when I purchased this boat, it was tapped into the main gas tank. For redundancy incase it gets contaminated by water or whatever, when I bought the boat this spring, I undid the plumbing to the kicker from the main fuel tank, and have it on its own 24 liter ( bit over 6 American gallons) fuel tank. Makes me feel at least a little bit better knowing that I have 3 outboards, and 2 fuel sources. Also on board I carry tools, 3 spare props, 1 for each motor, spare fuel filters, and more. Also if i felt nobody was responding to the radio, boats were near me, and I was in an emergency situation I would be shooting off some flares. Most boaters if they see you shooting emergency flares would come see what the emergency is. If you have a boat with a big cabin and boats are near also try grabbing something brightly colored like a red shirt for example, stand on the cabin roof and wave it so boaters nearby can tell you are in need. I see boats drifting frequently and they are not in distress so just cruise on by.

Last edited:
I also believe that practicing redundancy ourselves as boaters is a good idea. If you are a big boat why don't you have two or more engines.
Or launch your tender and tow your own boat. Or build a bracket that can be attached to the stern and an outboard and independent gas can for said outboard for emergency use.

I understand the redundancy and responsibility issue. However, in the case of the sailboat that was drifting towards the Narrows Bridge, the guy’s engine was non-functional. He had no tender. He had no working radio. He didn’t even have adequate rigging to sail the boat effectively. He didn’t know what he was doing and was in his predicament because he drug anchor.

Most boaters simply passed this guy by, despite his trying flag someone down. One boater called the USCG to report a drifting boat in trouble and the USCG send out a general assistance request in response. I watched a lot of boats pass him by. I could have ignored him or I could have come within hailing distance and told him he should have a mounted outboard, a spare alternator, a better anchor, a working radio, or a dinghy he could have used to tow his boat. Instead, I just helped him by giving him a tow.

I understand the redundancy and responsibility issue. However, in the case of the sailboat that was drifting towards the Narrows Bridge, the guy’s engine was non-functional. He had no tender. He had no working radio. He didn’t even have adequate rigging to sail the boat effectively. He didn’t know what he was doing and was in his predicament because he drug anchor.

Most boaters simply passed this guy by, despite his trying flag someone down. One boater called the USCG to report a drifting boat in trouble and the USCG send out a general assistance request in response. I watched a lot of boats pass him by. I could have ignored him or I could have come within hailing distance and told him he should have a mounted outboard, a spare alternator, a better anchor, a working radio, or a dinghy he could have used to tow his boat. Instead, I just helped him by giving him a tow.

In this instance for sure, and you did the right thing, I likely would have tried to help to if i could have.
And thank you for being someone who did help!

I've towed a few boats in and once even siphoned gas out of my tank to give to stranded teenagers. However, I have since learned, according to Boat US, that you put yourself in a dangerous position liability-wise if something goes wrong during a tow. Your boat is not set up for towing and you're not covered with insurance. As has been mentioned earlier in thread; a cleat breaks loose and there is damage and/or God forbid, injury or death. You are not at all likely to be covered by insurance.

So I've changed my policy/procedure - I'll stand by until help arrives. If it's a life threatening situation, I'll take the crew of the other boat aboard mine until help arrives.

FWIW, I don't monitor the radio either. But, IMO, if you're in visual range, it's pretty damn obvious when a boat is in distress and there is no excuse whatsoever for not rendering assistance.

I've towed a few boats in and once even siphoned gas out of my tank to give to stranded teenagers. However, I have since learned, according to Boat US, that you put yourself in a dangerous position liability-wise if something goes wrong during a tow. Your boat is not set up for towing and you're not covered with insurance. As has been mentioned earlier in thread; a cleat breaks loose and there is damage and/or God forbid, injury or death. You are not at all likely to be covered by insurance.

So I've changed my policy/procedure - I'll stand by until help arrives. If it's a life threatening situation, I'll take the crew of the other boat aboard mine until help arrives.

FWIW, I don't monitor the radio either. But, IMO, if you're in visual range, it's pretty damn obvious when a boat is in distress and there is no excuse whatsoever for not rendering assistance.

Good to know that "Curmudgeon" is still accurate :rolleyes:

I suspect the BoatUS statement is largely self-serving. Before they were around, boaters largely helped other boaters. Liability be damned. There are laws to, somewhat, protect you from everything but the most blatant stupidity.

And as for the radio thing. Aren't vessels over a certain size required to monitor the radio? I guess that because I grew up listening to a CB radio a lot, I really enjoy having it on. It provides hours of entertainment and gives you a good idea of what is going on out there. You never know what you are going to hear... and you COULD save a life... even out of visual range. Not specifically targeting you BaltLurk, but I think it is downright irresponsible (and frankly a little rude) to leave radios off when operating boats our size. As the saying goes: A radio is the #1 piece of safety equipment on a boat. :)

And as for the radio thing. Aren't vessels over a certain size required to monitor the radio? I guess that because I grew up listening to a CB radio a lot, I really enjoy having it on. It provides hours of entertainment and gives you a good idea of what is going on out there. You never know what you are going to hear... and you COULD save a life... even out of visual range. Not specifically targeting you BaltLurk, but I think it is downright irresponsible (and frankly a little rude) to leave radios off when operating boats our size. As the saying goes: A radio is the #1 piece of safety equipment on a boat. :)

As I understand it, for boats under 20 meters, there is no requirement to have a VHF radio. But, if you do have one, you must use it to monitor channel 16.

I suspect the BoatUS statement is largely self-serving. Before they were around, boaters largely helped other boaters. Liability be damned. There are laws to, somewhat, protect you from everything but the most blatant stupidity.

Quite possibly true regarding BoatUS. However, I have, unfortunately, been involved in too many lawsuits where it became clear to me that insurance companies are not about protecting you, so I tend to err on the side of caution. But recall that I did say that I don't leave people in a dangerous situation. Their boat? Maybe. But not people. They can deal with their insurance company in case of a loss. Or, pay the incredible towing fees.

But recall that I did say that I don't leave people in a dangerous situation. Their boat? Maybe. But not people. They can deal with their insurance company in case of a loss. Or, pay the incredible towing fees.

Yup. That is an important distinction. I don’t worry too much about liability. Maybe because I don’t have deep pockets but I have yet to be sued, personally or professionally. Likely just a matter of time. However, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to risk myself, my crew, my boat, or my fortune (such as it is) to save another’s boat that likely IS insured. I am more than happy to take the risks to save another from injury.

Having said that, I have yet to decide to not come to the aid of a person to help them save their boat. Likely not the smartest move on my part and hopefully I will consider it more carefully before doing the same thing again.

I ran into a boat three miles offshore with a dead battery. I did try hailing them. Nice folks.

Story here: Janice142 article

When I first saw the boat it looked like this:
Thursday'sChildInDistance.jpg

Fortunately I took my binoculars out and spotted a kid up on deck signalling for assistance.

And the VHF stays on. Seaweed is such that she cannot do a lot of the things you big boys can. What I can do, I gladly will. That's what boaters do. Always used to anyway...

Goodness knows I have been blessed.

Just this morning I was on the phone with a friend. Last year his boat was struck by lightning. This month, he had cancer surgery. He would give you anything he has for time.

Fellas, don't be too rushed, okay? Enjoy life. And help where you can. That's your real legacy.

Nice story, Janice. You're one of the good guys!

I think the near consensus is - do what you competently can and don't hazard your people or your vessel - at the same time, "things" aren't worth losing a hangnail over, but people in genuine distress rate action.

As to the VHF - I can't imagine getting underway without it for too many reasons to list here. Two installed and one waterproof (?) handheld.

Back
Top Bottom