Old 08-19-2018, 10:11 PM   #161

City: Flanders, NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
As the oil warms up it is normal for oil pressure to go lower.

TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:03 PM   #162
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign
The oil viscosity thins out a little when it warms up causing the oil pressure to drop off a little. Glad to hear you're making progress and catching those little troubles before they become big problems.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:08 PM   #163
Guru

Lou,did you change the oil grade? Straight 30 might mean thinner oil at working temp than 15-40.
Do you have any specs of acceptable oil pressure ranges for the engine?
You must have done a good job extracting the old oils. I had a startling improvement in oil clarity after the mechanic used a vacuum extractor pump overnight on my engines.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #164
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Lou,did you change the oil grade? Straight 30 might mean thinner oil at working temp than 15-40.
Do you have any specs of acceptable oil pressure ranges for the engine?
You must have done a good job extracting the old oils. I had a startling improvement in oil clarity after the mechanic used a vacuum extractor pump overnight on my engines.
Nope did not change oil grade, still use SAE 30, and for sure it is thinner than before. I checked oil 10 min after stopping the engine and it was thinner (and hotter) than it was before while cooled.
Spec of oil pressure are 30 to 60psi at full speed, min 12psi at idle so I am still in the normal range, just at the lower end of the range when oil has reached its highest temp.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:36 PM   #165
Guru

Last update on the subject. We just came back from our last cruise of the season (so sad). We did two cruise legs, 4h then 3.5h. Everything went perfect, as the engine warmed oil pressure dropped and stabilized, everything was in correct range from oil pressure, oil temp and water temp. Not any trace of smoke in exhaust during the first leg, some white smoke (vapor) today but it was expected as it was very cold outside, nothing to worry about. Checked oil after each leg and it was perfect clean, golden look, tiny traces of black particles but very few compared with before (oil was black after first run before). Looks like having oil warmer while running is just doing better!
Boat will be hauled out this week, next step for me is to replace and reroute nicely raw water hoses, remove the oil cooler that is still in place (not connected to oil lines), redo tranny oil cooler support and replace all oil hoses with new ones.
I was very happy to see my engine running well !

Thank you everybody for all your input and help.

L
Old 09-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #166
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Well done Lou, definitely a short season back there.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:28 PM   #167
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. X. "...definitely a short season back there." Yup. Mr. L_t and friends at home...

Old 09-30-2018, 09:27 PM   #168
Guru

LOL dear Mr RTF you are right on target! This morning was 5C outside when we woke up, 12C in the boat, not bad but that the beginning of the end for this year.
Mr XsBank yes that was a short season between mechanical issues, battery charger swap and work obligations, hopefully next year will be better, just 1000 things to do

L
Old 09-30-2018, 09:36 PM   #169
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Yes, indeed 1000 things to do...always. BUT, I find, I usually learn a little something in most if not all of those 1000 things. I used to attempt to do 3 or 4 things at once and as a result, none of them got done well, or at all. Prioritize the list and do one thing at a time doing the MOST important first. You may only get 3 or 4 of the 1000 things done but if the MOST essential, you should be ready to go first day in the Canadian spring (I think that's about June 27th isn't it?).
Are you going to cruise the Rideau again next year?
Old 09-30-2018, 11:31 PM   #170
Guru

City: Canaveral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
LOL dear Mr RTF you are right on target! This morning was 5C outside when we woke up, 12C in the boat, not bad but that the beginning of the end for this year.

Hi Lou the season is also coming to an end here. Yesterday dropped to 106 degrees (41C). Ohh the horror of the coming winter!

PS - wanna switch places???
makobuilders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #171
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Yes, indeed 1000 things to do...always. BUT, I find, I usually learn a little something in most if not all of those 1000 things. I used to attempt to do 3 or 4 things at once and as a result, none of them got done well, or at all. Prioritize the list and do one thing at a time doing the MOST important first. You may only get 3 or 4 of the 1000 things done but if the MOST essential, you should be ready to go first day in the Canadian spring (I think that's about June 27th isn't it?).
Are you going to cruise the Rideau again next year?
Indeed, one thing at a time we will get there!
We expect to be back on the Rideau next year, not sure when tough. We may try it during month of September instead of going at the opening like previous time. We will avoid July/August months for sure. September would also give me make time to get the boat prepared to get back on water in spring instead of rushing as usually.

L
Old 10-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #172
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign
Glad to hear this water in oil problem has been resolved. Maybe next year will be a good year for water time.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote