Help needed to identify coupling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbad

Veteran Member
Hi everyone need help identifying this flexible coupling on the prop shaft of my friends trawler we think it is a Vetus 10 but can't find any identifiers on it and unfortunately are bereft of knowledgeable engineers in the Nth.

Attachments

• PART_1551164837588.jpeg
    PART_1551164837588.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 75
  • PART_1551164950173.jpeg
    PART_1551164950173.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Flange.jpg
    Flange.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 72
I haven't seen a ton of these, but I really don't think that is a Vetus, at least not one that matches something in their line recently. It just doesn't look like the ones I've seen from them. The housing is all one piece and the radial set bolts just don't look like theirs.

Having said that, if I were looking to replace one, Vetus would be the first place I'd look. I'd bet there is a good chance they've got something that'll work.

It does pull apart while it looks like it is one piece in the photos in situ it isn't, without knowing what it is we can't source parts, a replacement coupling maybe the go. Only one of the rubbers has deteriorated to the point of disintegration, the others are ok enough we maybe able to cross match or get them custom made.
Closest i can find is an old photo online showing a vetus 10 photo attached which took me down that path. The shaft is not tapered it has a nut which holds it in place, to put in a new vetus is not that straight forward as the shaft may need work or at least drilling. While that is not impossible the boat is on a slip in Innisfail and that is not the easiest place in the world to get reliable assistance.

Attachments

• Old vetus.jpg
    Old vetus.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 47
Have made some progress on it apparently maybe a new zealand product will know more shortly.

Maybe you can cast your own new rubber piece, maybe use 5200.
I fixed a car engine mount with 5200 good as new.

For a thick piece like that, maybe spread out the 5200 to get moisture exposure and let it start curing, then form it into the proper shape.

They are six individual pieces apparently they are still available out of NZ but the engineering firm is yet to confirm and get the details to us, once I know I will post details so there is some record on the net somewhere should anyone else come across one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom