Help me find a hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brainey

Vessel Name
Lucky Jack
Vessel Make
43 Atkinson
c:

So I want to build a boat like this for long range fishing and family cruising. My must haves are a very seaworthy hull, walk around side decks and a waterline of around 40'. My wants are a reasonably efficient 10 knot cruise and wide beam (15'+). I would prefer a single but twins would be ok too.

I'm looking into lots of different options including finding the right trawler hull and removing what is typically the aft cabin and reconfiguring the rear wheelhouse bulkhead to end up with a more typical fishing cockpit.

Before you all tell me - I know it's crazy, I know it will be a lot of work, I know it will be expensive, etc. I've done major refits before. But aside from all of that if you would like to recommend a make / model that is typically available in the used market that I should consider please let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1-1.jpg
    1-1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 135
Walkaround cabin configurations like you're looking for are a little harder to find. JC made a few boats for fishing with a walkaround helm but that design really eats up the cabin space.

A much better hull than in the OP’s post would be a 40-50’ Navy Utility Personnel boat. Much like a Lobster boat.

You might also look at some commercial fishboats. And also see if you can look at a Thompson 44 or 51 trawler. These were built on a heavily built fibreglass fish boat type of hull, and usually have fuel tankage above 500 gal.
Welcome and good luck with the search.

One that might do it for you is a Thompson 51' trawler listed by a private seller on boattrader, under Thompson trawler for sale, asking $35,000, in Camden NC. Phone 920 664 5054.
1977 boat, 2x Cat 3208 na, hours unk, but seller says no oil burn, 1600 gal fuel, 400 water. 51' LOD, 53 overall, beam 16'.
Good luck with the search. John

Greetings,
Mr. JS. Funny you should mention that particular Thompson 51' I know that boat and have been on her at the dock. From outward appearances only, a very stout vessel. the owners were VERY slowly doing repairs and 3 years ago, she needed work but I have no recent knowledge regarding her condition. She DID indeed run at that time. Virginia Beach is just a spit and whistle away from Camden NC. Mr. b should pop over and take a look. I vaguely recall she was advertised right here on TF a couple of years back.

Yup. Here she is... http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s9/1977-thompson-trawlers-51-a-5953.html

One that might do it for you is a Thompson 51' trawler listed by a private seller on boattrader, under Thompson trawler for sale, asking $35,000, in Camden NC. Phone 920 664 5054.
1977 boat, 2x Cat 3208 na, hours unk, but seller says no oil burn, 1600 gal fuel, 400 water. 51' LOD, 53 overall, beam 16'.
Good luck with the search. John

I've been eyeballing that boat for a little bit. Too bad I'm not in the trawler market right now, otherwise I would have looked at it already.

A much better hull than in the OP’s post would be a 40-50’ Navy Utility Personnel boat. Much like a Lobster boat.

There are several for sale in Hawaii right now, the cheapest is a 40’ for free!
I can tell you that it is no small project to build one up.
The original configuration is a huge open boat with a small operators console as it’s only amenity.
The electrical system is 24 volts and is very basic, lights, horn and bilge pumps.
Any added structure, plumbing or electrical has to be built from scratch.
The plus factor is the hull. It’s built like the proverbial brick shithouse, is economical to operate, and quite capable in nasty conditions.

Attachments

• AE70D3F2-F979-4D3E-AA2C-B2B3C861D90B.jpg
    AE70D3F2-F979-4D3E-AA2C-B2B3C861D90B.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 60E04E9B-9D74-44F6-B8BE-434A025DA4F5.jpg
    60E04E9B-9D74-44F6-B8BE-434A025DA4F5.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 74
c:

So I want to build a boat like this for long range fishing and family cruising. My must haves are a very seaworthy hull, walk around side decks and a waterline of around 40'. My wants are a reasonably efficient 10 knot cruise and wide beam (15'+). I would prefer a single but twins would be ok too.

I had the same objective when I had my semi-custom boat built. My LWL is just over 60' and 10 knots is much less efficient than, say 8.5 knots, so you may be challenged with efficiency at that speed. But with longer length, you give up visibility from helm to cockpit -- watching on a camera and listening on an intercom just isn't the same when it comes to fishing.

The other thing you should consider is a Portuguese Bridge. We really enjoy ours.

kapnd wrote;
“I can tell you that it is no small project to build one uhe original configuration is a huge open boat with a small operators console as it’s only amenity.”

Who says you need a cabin typically found on a 50’ boat. Most boats have cabins too big. These boats offer the possibility of a more propper boat w low windage, weight and a fair amount of deck space. Moorage $ would suck though.

I ran the boat for a little while without any kind of cabin, and it was brutal at best.
I see your boat has quite the house...

Solid Hull to build on...

Hi Brainey et al....

I'm in SE Ohio and would like to offer up a possible option, and a super deal, for you, or others, here.
I have a 1984, 31', Chris Craft Commander in my yard that I'd like to see gone.
I would like to remove the two gas 330 Mercruiser engines (454 GM engines/gear), first, and I doubt you'd want to feed them anyway. However, if you'd want them too, I'd include them for a very very low cost.

It's a long story, but I bought this boat for my brother after a very bad stroke as part of a rehab plan. He had wanted to build a LRC to use on the Inland Rivers working his way down the Ohio/Kentucky/Tenn Tom/Etc. for a long time and had not only given up on that, but almost on life. I convinced him that rather than spend the time and money on building a "amature hull" he would be better off to start with a great, proven, tough, professional build hull and spend his time doing the mods and getting to actually cruise. I got all my money spend on the boat back from it giving him something to work on and hope for and he's doing great and has since bought a fishing boat and a big pontoon boat for river fun and he doesn't want to work on the CC now so I would like to be shed of it.

I know it's not the length you were wanting but it sill might be a consideration for you, or someone, especially if you consider what our plans for it were... We planned to replace the gas engines with two small diesels making it a displacement speed LR boat. Then extend the cabin sides back, much like CC's LRC design, and put small wing doors on it making it a "marginal" but usable "walk-around" design. Also extend the roofline back over the "now" fighting station to form the aft deck area. We also planned to add 5' to the stearn for use as a swim platform/one side stairway down to the swim deck to make it doable for him to get to and from which would also increase the aft deck area/increase the LWL/ allow easy access from dingy/and also allow for an access to the lazarette area via the swim platform. If you chose to lengthen it, as we wanted to, you could also possibly incorporate an aft cabin rather than an integral swim platform.
(Just for your to consider)

I bought this boat as a total from an insurance Co. after it had a galley fire that destroyed the bridge/tuna tower. The fire did little damage to the rest of the boat (the plasticware still in the cabinets and TP still in the cabinets in the head) but did short out the wiring which would require nearly a total re-wire. The boat was/is a Sport Fish Commander and the plan was to turn it into a LRC, which Chris Craft offered in this hull, so you can see what can google that and see what their designs for it in that configuration.

I can offer it to you at a price that will just recoup me for the transport charge I paid to get it here from the East Coast. $2500.

John

Attachments

• NJ trip Boat 008.jpg
    NJ trip Boat 008.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 42
  • NJ trip Boat 009.jpg
    NJ trip Boat 009.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 36
  • NJ trip Boat 010.jpg
    NJ trip Boat 010.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 38
Brainey,

Probably a touch too short with waterline length, but otherwise meets all of your criteria very well. Bonus for highly respected/desired hull and is basically project ready with a price to match...

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/38x13-fiberglass-holland-boat/6630856245.html

p.s. Did you used to have a 40' Young Brothers?

Exactly what I was going to suggest. A lobster boat.

My vote was going for a Downeast lobster boat as well.

Back
Top Bottom