Old 06-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #21
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Retiring Sailor: Forgot to mention, if you happened to ever get to Stuart to visit Krogen, their blue-water competition Nordhavn is right next door! I mean, is that a hoot or what?! Of all the possible locations, they end up being 50 ft. from each other! All good advice above, by the way.

healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #22

City: Steamboat Springs, Co
Excellent. I have been away for a few days taking delivery of my cat. I appreciate all that you have said. I have also continued to look diligently on yachtworld. Two questions that have arisen as a result of my search. What about Selene Yachts? And DeFever?

retiring sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #23
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiring sailor View Post
Excellent. I have been away for a few days taking delivery of my cat. I appreciate all that you have said. I have also continued to look diligently on yachtworld. Two questions that have arisen as a result of my search. What about Selene Yachts? And DeFever?
I've got a "thing" for the DeFever 49 raised pilothouse. If I really needed a bigger boat, I'd be looking for one. I was aboard a Selene 48 (I believe) at Trawler Fest, and that has very much the same appeal. The layout was beautiful. The cabinetry was finished front and back, even inside. Nice engine room too.

One boat I didn't mention to you with regard to your price range was the Leopard Powercat 47, or perhaps even the new 38. Both offer three staterooms, multiple head arrangements, and come from South Africa on their own bottoms, mostly via Tortola. There's no way you can deny the open space of the 47 with big, efficient hulls. The 38 is nothing like the previous 37, and it would be my own choice of cats right now. Efficiency is approaching that of the frugal PDQ designs, but much more space. You can charter them out of Moorings in Tortola. The fact that each of these boats come across on their own bottoms is a very powerful sales point.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/photoGallery.jsp??access=PublicĄcy=USD&listing_id= 50369&units=Feet&boat_id=2458126&back=boatDetail.j sp&boat_id=2458126
Wow, lovely vessel....wants it...wants it now....
Interesting stern thruster set-up though. Wouldn't that add quite a bit of drag?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #25

City: Steamboat Springs, Co
I took the admiral out while in Annapolis last week. She said "maybe we don't want another boat." She changed her mind after we looked at the first Krogen. Although we saw several boats, we were most impressed with the build and quality of the Selene. Our second favorite was the Krogen but I did not get to see the Nordavn. I have to admit that one of those three is now on my short list. Just have to sell the sailboat.......

Thanks for all the advice!

Another dumb question. How much prop walk do you have with the big singles? It was an issue when I was sailing monohulls but you don't get much with cats.
retiring sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #26
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
On my Monk 36 with a 220 Cummins if find the propwalk quite strong. It does come in useful in docking, pulling the stern into the dock when side tying.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #27
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiring sailor View Post
How much prop walk do you have with the big singles?
It's certainly something to be aware of - it makes it harder to kick the stern the other way (and the bow the opposite). On a previous trawler (a small steel Romsdal with a CPP), it was something I could really use to advantage - rocking the pitch lever between slight forward and slight reverse it was possible to spin the boat in little more than its length.

Over time it's something I have adjusted to. I've had single IBs for more than 30 years, and when I recently had a C-Dory with twin OBs I never could get used to the twin engines - I was continually over-thinking the process! I went to just using one OB (leaving the other in neutral) and was more successful (except when I did the easy maneuver of centering them and going in opposite directions to slowly spin the boat).

refugio is offline   Reply With Quote