Old 11-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #1

City: SE Florida
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
Help expand my short list

Let me start with Hello. I am new to the forum, and hoping to become a new owner of an older trawler someday soon.

The problem is my short list only has 1 boat so far. I am 6'5" tall, and I'm trying to find boats where I can stand without stooping and ducking (much?). I expect my choices will be limited. So far I have the Krogen Manatee 36 on my list after reading the headroom is 6.5-7'. I have spent weeks searching older threads here on trawler forum for some answers, and I am not having much luck, so I am trying a more direct approach. Any ideas will be really appreciated. Below is the rest of my criteria which are not height related.

I live in SE Florida. I will be cruising my local waters, the Bahamas, the US east coast, and maybe the loop someday. I am looking for a full displacement hull, powered by a small diesel(s) that burns 1-1.5 GPH at cruise. My budget is in the 160K range after refurb/repairs. I would like to be in the 36'-42' range, but could go as large as 48' if the numbers work. Since I've owned and refurbished a few smaller fiberglass boats, and I've remodeled a couple of my houses, I feel I am good candidate to take on an older boat that might come with a few projects.

Thanks again for any ideas
cowdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
By the way, cowdogs, you can see I'm a Manatee owner already, but I'm aware that Fat Chance, a Manatee for sale in NC, also has a raised pilothouse roof by 4" I believe. I'm 6'1" and can stand easily anywhere in my Pilothouse with an inch or more to spare, so the extra 4" built into Fat Chance might give you some relief in an area that you would spend a lot of time. I only know this because of seeing our two boats stern to stern, Fat Chance was obviously "raised", apparently at the factory as ordered by the original owner.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Bayliner 4788's. Fit in the height and budget parameters. That should buy you a 98 model with 370hp Cummins.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Check out DeFevers. Many have a minimum of 6'8" cabin headroom and a big man ER to boot.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
Bayliner 4788's. Fit in the height and budget parameters. That should buy you a 98 model with 370hp Cummins.
Thanks. I'll read up on them, but I would think even if I ran it at 7-8 knots it would still use 4-5x my fuel parameter. It's hard to shake the perception of Bayliner I have coming from the small boat market, but I am coming to understand Bayliner's larger boats are a different breed as compared to their smaller recreational counterparts.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Check out DeFevers. Many have a minimum of 6'8" cabin headroom and a big man ER to boot.
Thanks. I assume your 48' does? Any idea if something in the 36-42' range does.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #7

City: Tokyo, Japan / Tampa, Florida / Washington, Virginia
Vessel Name: Mondai Nai
Vessel Model: Nordhaven 55 - 45
I own a Hatteras 48 LRC and I am 6'4.5" tall. I am able to clear all the ceilings and most of the door ways. Naturally the engine room is not that tall, wishful thinking. I have owned the boat for 12 years, we cruise all the grounds you would like to cruise and it is very comfortable for a tall guy like me.
Happy hunting
Capt. Don

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
IntervaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdogs View Post
Thanks. I assume your 48' does? Any idea if something in the 36-42' range does.
Have a look at Daddyo's "Grace" listings in FL, I'm sure he could give you the answer on two DF 41s he is brokering.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
Guru

City: Here
Google "yacht world trawler headroom sale"

also try "headroom" ... slightly different results
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote