Old 07-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #21

City: Savannah, GA
Vessel Name: In Sanity
Vessel Model: 1981 Mainship 40'
Gabe: Easier than bleach: let in full salinity water, let it soak for an hour or so, and then rinse with fresh. it can all get pumped over the side and the little buggers wont survive the salinity change

Em: drain fly larvae. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drain_fly. do you have a bunch of these flying around?

Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:07 AM   #22

City: Jacksonville Fla
Vessel Name: The Office
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
As BruceK points out they are 6-7 mm and look like the picture in the link. They are not leeches or silverfish. I dealt with enough leeches in Vietnam to know what they are. They are not mosquito larvae either as several said. I know about using an oil to kill mosquitoes. I have talked with a few on the dock that have seen the same critters. They are gone now as I cleaned out the water and bleach. I still want to know what and how so as to prevent. Gabe N Em has sent me the best description and clue as to what they are. Thank you!
I also know where to come for cleaning advisement. Thank for all!

Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:14 AM   #23
FF
Guru

"I still want to know what and how so as to prevent"

A dry bilge?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #24

City: Jacksonville Fla
Vessel Name: The Office
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
Thanks FF, but it is a shower and AC drain sump of less than a gallon of water in it AFTER the pump runs. The rest of the bilge is DRY. The message from Gabe N Em has proven to be the answer to my Question as to what they are.Drain Flies and I bet more than one of us have had them at one time or the other. Thanks to Gabe!!!! I now know what they are. Another suggestion was to use kerosene to kill the larvae instead of a harmful petroleum product I will pour a little used olive oil to float on top. Let us close this adventure and move on please.
Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #25
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoteacher View Post
Thanks FF, but it is a shower and AC drain sump of less than a gallon of water in it AFTER the pump runs. The rest of the bilge is DRY. The message from Gabe N Em has proven to be the answer to my Question as to what they are.Drain Flies and I bet more than one of us have had them at one time or the other. Thanks to Gabe!!!! I now know what they are. Another suggestion was to use kerosene to kill the larvae instead of a harmful petroleum product I will pour a little used olive oil to float on top. Let us close this adventure and move on please.
As much as you would like to close the adventure, it might take a while longer. Wiki says this about getting rid of them:

Because of the extremely fine water-repellent hairs covering their bodies, adult drain flies are virtually impossible to drown, and are not affected by contact with most water-borne toxins such as bleach. Boiling water has little or no effect on the adults for the same reason, and even the eggs are highly resistant to both chemical or thermal assault. Eggs can also withstand periods of dehydration. Extermination of this household pest depends of the maintenance of clean household drains for a period of at least three weeks.

Because of their attraction to light, drain flies may sometimes be controlled by using fan-based traps baited with visible or ultraviolet light.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:40 AM   #26
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
A dry bilge?

Bahaha! Not happening in my boat!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #27

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
On the Pacific north west
We have problems with Otters,Seals,Canada geese and racoons
Never leave a hatch open without a screen even a side door while at dock

I have had the coons just walk into the living room if I forget to close he deck gate or climb in an upper 4 inch hatch to eat a bag of Doritos

Otters love carpeted sheds use it like Charmin
Seals don't care

Geese make nests that you don't find till dark when Mom gets pissed that you are walking by

Fixed a lot of this by chasing the animals away with an electric fence .
I let my neighbours inherit the wildlife
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:34 AM   #28
FF
Guru

Bahaha! Not happening in my boat!

Many boats will have some sort of a sump where the large bilge pump resides.

The back flow of water when the pump stops is usually the source of water standing in the sump.

There ARE different style bilge pumps that will suck an area almost dry, although most are low volume.

The diaphram pumps seem best , as they can run dry with no hassles.

My favorite is to use a large auto mechanical fuel pump in a bracket.

The cam follower gets a weight , that swings like a clock pendulum , swing limited by the bracket.

Every wave rocking the boat is pumping a tea spoon of water overboard , no electric required.

5 psi will lift a 11 ft head , so passing the water overboard does not require a seacock.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #29
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
My favorite is to use a large auto mechanical fuel pump in a bracket.

The cam follower gets a weight , that swings like a clock pendulum , swing limited by the bracket.

Every wave rocking the boat is pumping a tea spoon of water overboard , no electric required.

5 psi will lift a 11 ft head , so passing the water overboard does not require a seacock.

FF - because of the unconventional, clever, simple and inexpensive solutions you come up with, I'm beginning to wonder if you're really a contributing editor to Mother Earth News!

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote