Helmsman's layout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice! You're goingto hide the "reset" switch, huh?

Hollywood * *...yes. I recall on Willy I positioned myself at the helm and made sure I adjusted all the instruments so their reflection off the glass face projected to the overhead of the salon where my helm was. It's easy to install them so they reflect out a window and much of the time you won't be able to see them at all.

SeaHorse II wrote:

Yup.* No room on the panels for it.* Like the tank gauges, it doesn't need frequent attention.

nomadwilly wrote:

Hollywood * *...yes. I recall on Willy I positioned myself at the helm and made sure I adjusted all the instruments so their reflection off the glass face projected to the overhead of the salon where my helm was. It's easy to install them so they reflect out a window and much of the time you won't be able to see them at all.
I had a reflection that reflected back to the inside of the pilothouse windows off the face of the microwave at night!!... it would drive me nuts... I had to drape a towel over the micro door and shut it on the towel... just the instrument lights did it to a small amount too
HOLLYWOOD

The Coot's Victron electrical monitor will be installed to the left of the helmsman's station, and the radio will be installed on the*ceiling within easy reach.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 8th of January 2011 02:16:50 AM

Getting there.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 70
I would have put spotlight controls on ceiling near radios. Frees up valuable console space and it is a more "intuative" location. No need to be out in front of helmsman. I know when I use spotlight, I'm usually standing at the helm.

I don't like*holding*my arms up.* It's tiring.* Fooling with the joystick is a lot different than just grabbing the mike or changing channels.

markpierce wrote:

SeaHorse II wrote:

Yup.* No room on the panels for it.* Like the tank gauges, it doesn't need frequent attention.

Hiding the reset switch, or at least placing it out of the way in a safe place is a good thing.* An inadvertent rest of the FloScan*would mess up my fuel mangagement system.*

I am a strong advacate of the FloScan.* It allows me to cruise at just below the point where the secondaries start to open.* That's where I get my best mpg.* My*tach is mounted in the center with the*FloScan to the right and coolant temp to the left.

"An inadvertent rest of the FloScan would mess up my fuel mangagement system."

WE use a key switch , no chance of a visitor screwing up the results.

Two points:

1.* Is it too late to provide more space around your Garmin for the inevitable larger screen?

2.* Floscans are great* if calibrated and accurate to the last drop, but in case I missed it, you do have sight tubes on* your fuel tanks don't you?

Sunchaser, it's too late to make changes to the layout, and then other key instruments would have to located in less convenient*locations if space was saved to permit a larger screen.* (I don't even have a wide-screen TV or computer monitor at home.)* *Yes, there are sight*gauges*for the fuel tanks as well as extra-cost*fuel gauges*displaying inches of*fuel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom