Old 12-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
RE: Helmsman's layout

Quote:
Bendit wrote:
Thruster control, anchor winch, wheel, throttle and joystick steering on left arm of helm chair (leaving right hand to work*throttle/gear lever)*all work well. Radios overhead also works well as they use less valuable real estate.

Pic doesn't show very well, but colour sounder and radar are mounted in console to stbd and angled to line of sight.
That's the way it is, but do you like it that way?* What would you want different?

markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Baker wrote:

Airbus completely prohibits a pilot form going past 60 degrees of pitch or bank...Period.
Not actually true.* In the "normal" modes of operation this is true.* However you can pull a bunch of breakers and stuff and put an Airbus in a purely "manual" mode and do whatever you want with it.* However I've been told by friend who work at Airbus that getting into this mode requires some time and is not something that can be done as an immediate reaction to an immediate situation, like a microburst off the end of the runway or whatever.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

I like moonstruck's stuff. Don't like Marin's up in the clouds GPS at all. If I buy a boat like that it's going to get moved pronto * *..unless it's radar.
Eric---- The overhead unit IS a radar.* It's the Furuno that replaced the old Raytheon.* However it is a NavNet unit so is also a GPS plotter.* In the photo I happened to have it set on the full-screen plotter display.* But in fact we rarely run it this way unless we want it's superior plotter display on full-screen in a narrow or tricky waterway for detail.* Normally it's set on full-screen radar or split screen radar and steering information.

Besides the ease of installation and getting a fairly large unit completely out of the way when we don't need it, an advantage of the overhead mount for the radar (assuming it has a daylight display which just about all of them do now) is that when we're running in fog or restricted visiblity, it's easy to see the radar display from anywhere in the main cabin.* So whoever is not steering the boat can easily monitor the radar from beside the helmsman, behind the helmsman, anywhere in the cabin, as its display cannot be blocked by the helmsman.* This is not true of the panel-mounted GPS plotter on the lower panel.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #24

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure

Mark,
Since I redesigned the layout 6 years ago, I like it the way it is except for the position of the sounder (in the console).

If I was to rebuild the whole thing, I would position the sounder to the left and angle it*in to the helm position. This would prevent the sun from reaching the screen.*A big job*of work as the engine instruments would need to be*repositioned and the console is heavy grade Al alloy welded to the wheelhouse.

Having the throttle/gear lever on the opposite side from the steering toggle and thruster control has proved very successful. Originally, the boat didn't have either of these.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Ridge, MD
Vessel Name: CANTELYA
Vessel Model: 54' Davis / Westlake

Here is the layout for my 54' Davis Pilothouse helm.* I like the electronic controls vice the cables and use a laptop chartplotter as well as a Garmin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00097.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	3825   Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00011.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	3826   Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00012.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	3827  
jcwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Just ran across this picture that I think relates the point of having your chart and radar just below your sight line.* This was taken of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay.* It shows the real world outside the window and the electronic world just below.* This was taken well below my sight line outside just the show the relationship.* Note SOG about 25.5 knots.* Depth reads at the bottom of the screen.* The electronic compass is set to read magnetic so as to relate to the magnetic compass above.* There is a deviation table kept to the left of the helm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cimg0104.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	3909  
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #27
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

This may be not everyones cup of tea but it works for me.
Radar, Sounder/fish finder, HF radio and 2 x VHF on the up side from deck head.
Eng controls, compass on dash, to stbd under the blue towel is the Chart Plotter/computer.
The printer is no longer on the dash as it is now located in the new fwd cabin office.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p1000287.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	3910  
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #28
Master and Commander

Works for me, Don.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #29
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:.....of having your chart and radar just below your sight line....* It shows the real world outside the window and the electronic world just below..... The electronic compass is set to read magnetic so as to relate to the magnetic compass above.
__________________________________________________ _____________
I agree!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	panel.jpg
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	3912  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #30
Guru

Helmsman's layout

Quote:
Tidahapah wrote:

This may be not everyones cup of tea but it works for me.
Radar, Sounder/fish finder, HF radio and 2 x VHF on the up side from deck head.
Eng controls, compass on dash, to stbd under the blue towel is the Chart Plotter/computer.
The printer is no longer on the dash as it is now located in the new fwd cabin office.
Is your cruising style a lot of offshore passages?* On the East Coast of the US we have alot of confined cruising areas.* When the weather cooperates I will run offshore, but try to be back in by 160-240 miles.* That is our comfort range for a passage.* My fishing boat has the electronics mounted overhead.* For that purpose they work fine.* Cruising our ICW is a different story.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 25th of December 2010 09:36:42 PM
Old 12-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #31
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

Don,
Your right most of my cruising and fishing is off shore.
When I am behind Fraser or Moerton Islands is the only time I am not out in the Ogan.
A lot of it is coastal only about 10 to 20 mile of the coast but so are the merch ships , you got to mix it with them.

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #32
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Here's the most important element of my helm***** visibility ahead. No bow rails, fenders, anchors, or other clutter do obstruct the view. This shot was from the center of the center (of three) fwd windows and the stbd view is 99% as good. In that way the Willard is perfect. The cable "railing" keeps us aboard except on the very bow and so far I haver't fallen off. The trade off is great visibility fwd and I love it. The Nordic Tug is good in this way and the bow rail would be easily cut down to half the height. Anyway, visibility is by far the most important part of the layout for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sth71202.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	3913  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #33
Master and Commander

Helmsman's layout

That's hard to disagree with, Eric.* Yet I want a solid handhold up in the bow for deploying the "iron"*anchor, the*parachute "anchor", and such when waves are crashing and the boat is bucking.* But then the seas are always calm in the inland passages of southeast Alaska, right?*

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 26th of December 2010 12:18:13 AM
Old 12-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #34
Guru

Helmsman's layout

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:Anyway, visibility is by far the most important part of the layout for me.
Right you are, Eric.* You have to look out the window.* After crossing over the Gulf of Mexico, I was crewing on a boat delivery.* The capt. was on the flybridge with unrestricted visiblilty.* We had just entered a dredged channel heading for Applichicola.* I had to tell him to take his eyes off the chart plotter before we centered a fixed daymark!* He was an instrument rated pilot that trusted instruments.

Mark also makes a great point.* A railing on a bow pulpit makes anchor handling alot safer.**My boat has a toe rail with no bulworks.* That is something*I miss about my trawler.* When you have only a toe rail and a bow rail, something for hand holds is needed.**As you could see my*boat also has a midrail for security.

I*use the bow stanchions*for taking quick, simple bearings on other boats.* Constant bearing-----danger of collision. Passing ahead of stanchion means I will pass behind the approaching vessel.* Passing behind means I will*cross ahead of the vessel.* I also have a hand bearing compass at the helm, but this system works most of the time.**

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 26th of December 2010 08:50:01 AM
Old 12-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #35
Guru

Helmsman's layout

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Here's the most important element of my helm***** visibility ahead. No bow rails, fenders, anchors, or other clutter do obstruct the view. This shot was from the center of the center (of three) fwd windows and the stbd view is 99% as good. In that way the Willard is perfect. The cable "railing" keeps us aboard except on the very bow and so far I haver't fallen off. The trade off is great visibility fwd and I love it. The Nordic Tug is good in this way and the bow rail would be easily cut down to half the height. Anyway, visibility is by far the most important part of the layout for me.
Eric, Eric, where do you put your bow pennant?

Because of our speed, if we ran with a bow pennant, it would be in shreads in a*matter of hours.* By stepping to the left side of the helm, I can use the bow pennant staff*as sort of a gun sight.* I use it to line up on objects I want to run to, and*then I*set the*autopilot.

On the East coast in the ICW miles are statute and course lines are magnetic.* That is another reason for setting the chart plotter to read in magnetic.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 26th of December 2010 10:09:20 AM
Old 12-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #36
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Helmsman's layout

Quote:
MoonStruck Wrote:
By stepping to the left side of the helm, I can use the bow pennant staff*as sort of a gun sight.* I use it to line up on objects I want to run to, and*then I*set the*autopilot.
Wow! Talk about "Great Minds Agreeing".* I use my bow rails (specifically the rail**
around the pulpit) for the same purpose. (Not to mention the security it provides*
when going forward.)

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 26th of December 2010 11:24:07 AM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gun sight.jpg
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	3914  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

Wow! Talk about "Great Minds Agreeing".* I use my bow rails (specifically the rail**
around the pulpit) for the same purpose. (Not to mention the security it provides*
when going forward.)

If you have seen the big Palm Beach style sportfishing boats on the East coast, you will have seen that they are sans bow rails.* Asthetics are the only reason for this.* Most do not have forward windows in the deck house.* The flybridge is the only helm station.* The helmsman is far above the bow.* The forward deck usually has allot of camber to*shed water (it can shed people,too).* There is only a small toe rail between any person on the bow and the water.* It doesn't look safe to me.* Even Hattera is doing this if you have seen their ads.

I will admit that they are georgeous boats.* Built for punching through head seas at speed with copious amounts of power and speed.* Low free board in the stern for fishing.* It is thrilling to see those big guys running through almost any conditions.* Their captains are usually expert boat handlers.***A lot of ego on the line, but beautiful to watch.------------bui I digress-----------

Old 12-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

With regards to "aiming" one's boat using some reference hardware on the bow, I have never found any reason to do this but if one likes having somehting up there for this purpose, it's yet one more advantage of having a Rocna
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p10257.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	3915  
Old 12-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:

With regards to "aiming" one's boat using some reference hardware on the bow, I have never found any reason to do this but if one likes having somehting up there for this purpose, it's yet one more advantage of having a Rocna
Oh, the Rocna!* Is there anything they can't do?

Old 12-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #40
Master and Commander

Helmsman's layout

Rocna this, Rocna that ....*

(A conversation eight years ago between my sisters: "... Have you spoken to Mark lately?* It is always 'Perla this, Perla that.'* ...")

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 26th of December 2010 04:06:24 PM