Helm Console short

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FOADIAC

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
FOADIAC
Vessel Make
Mainship 34' Pilot
Hi. I have a Mainship Pilot helm console problem and could use some advice. When I power up the Helm and the Engine all my helm console electronics work. When I start the engine the Raymarine chart plotter, which was on, turns off and won't come back on. In addition, at times when I attempt to start the engine the starter does not receive power to start, essentially a dead switch. If I try a few times to toggle the switch to start it eventually will start, but the plotter remains off. All other console devices remain on with power and work properly. I have not changed out the engine start switch, which I will this week, but I don't understand the electrical impact on the plotter from the start switch. Any troubleshooting advice would be appreciated.

FOADIAC

Sounds like a ground problem. If your ground is compromised on a circuit, it may find its way back through unexpected pathways. Those pathways may not be of sufficient gauge wire to carry the additional current imposed by the bad grounds, so the devices on those circuits suffer from voltage drops. Electronics don't take kindly to low voltage. Start with a DMM and check voltages on all those problem circuits, singly, then energize other circuits and observe the results. Document it so it's easier to see a pattern. Hopefully that will provide some direction to further investigation.

Thanks, I'll try that out. Appreciate the assist.

Your starting problem is probably due to a bad connection or maybe the switch. Could be on the positive side but also the negative (ground) side as noted above.

When you start if the batteries are a little weak the starting motor load will drag the voltage down and then trip the chart plotter off. Should come back on if you restart after the engine is running.

David

starting motor load will drag the voltage down and then trip the chart plotter o

Sounds like the electronics are powered from the same source as the engines start. Shouldn't the engines be started before the electronics are turned on? After the engines are running, there is little chance of a surge or other gremlin affecting the electronics. Boats with separate battery banks from the house bank don't usually have this problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom