Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
RE: Helm chair?

Quote:
ARoss wrote:
Aw... why not go all the way???*

*Having sat for hours in several different Stidd's, I find them not as comfortable as I would expect.* Sure, they are built from top quality materials with outstanding workmanship and quality, but for my money, I'd rather spend 1/10 (or less) the price and get a more comfortable seat.* One option is to go on line and find handicap van conversion companies.* They routinely remove new van seats to install wheelchair mounts.* The company I bought my seats from had an entire warehouse full of new takeouts.* I got a new seat in leather with two adjustable arm rests, reclining back, and even built in cup holders.* Total cost?* Under $200 for a pair!!* I then removed the bottom sliding track, bolted a piece of plywood to the bottom and mated it to a standard seat base.* I've put hundreds of hours on that seat, and I think it's more comfortable than ones costing thousands.......Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:ARoss wrote:

*Having sat for hours in several different Stidd's, I find them not as comfortable as I would expect.* Sure, they are built from top quality materials with outstanding workmanship and quality, but for my money, I'd rather spend 1/10 (or less) the price and get a more comfortable seat.* One option is to go on line and find handicap van conversion companies.* They routinely remove new van seats to install wheelchair mounts.* The company I bought my seats from had an entire warehouse full of new takeouts.* I got a new seat in leather with two adjustable arm rests, reclining back, and even built in cup holders.* Total cost?* Under $200 for a pair!!* I then removed the bottom sliding track, bolted a piece of plywood to the bottom and mated it to a standard seat base.* I've put hundreds of hours on that seat, and I think it's more comfortable than ones costing thousands.......Arctic Traveller

*Bingo!* but some still prefer yachtie over practcal...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #24
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

I think my lag bolts go thru the FG and into the framing of the floor. Sorry, no picture, and I am thousands of miles from the boat just now. You could use a piece of aluminum or a thicker piece of wood, as an adapter plate, just to get the strength you will need. The torquing of mine, after about 15 yrs in place, has never been a problem. Mind, when it gets rough enough to put extreme stresses on the bolts holding the chair in place, I am down below.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:

Been looking online but haven't found any companies yet that advertise takeouts for sale. Can you tell us the name of the company you bought from?
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #26
Guru

Been looking online but haven't found any companies yet that advertise takeouts for sale. Can you tell us the name of the company you bought from?

Try, *

http://www.absolutemobilitycenter.com/contact.html

I simply looked up "handicap van conversions" and gave them a call.* They didn't advertise the seats, but if they build new vans for use with wheelchair lifts, it's guaranteed they take out seats.* There should be manufacturers all over the country, so finding one near you should'nt be too difficult.** ......Arctic Traveller
Old 02-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Quote:

*Brilliant!* Absolutely brilliant!!
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #28
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
FlyWright wrote: Brilliant!* Absolutely brilliant!!
******** Couldn't agree more! Another helpful hint from Jim Venture. (Artic Traveller's pen name.)
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:FlyWright wrote: Brilliant!* Absolutely brilliant!!
******** Couldn't agree more! Another helpful hint from Jim Venture. (Artic Traveller's pen name.)

*Sorry, but you have me confused with someone else.* I offer trawler training at www.arctictraveller.com
Old 02-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #30
FF
Guru

The Stidds are not designed to be kind to your butt.

They are to save your spine after hour after hour of 4-6G loads, on operating vessels.

Auto takeouts ARE designed to be couch like , and are fine for the 1 G cruisers.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #31
Guru

Any body have experience with the Tracy Int'l helm chairs? *I'm supposed to go see one on Th. morning. *Supposedly needs recovering but if its comfy I may buy it.

http://www.tracy-intl.com/portofino.html
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:53 AM   #32
Guru

Helm chair?

Well i bought one of these seats y-day. There are 2 left on Ft Myers CL. they came off a 80' Hatteras and all I can say is WOW are these things beefy! I'm not sure what I'll use the pedestal for but it won't be on my flybridge. they have adjustable arms and back and the seats slide F/R. the closest way I can describe the solid build quality of the chairs is to compare them to the old fashioned barbershop chairs. While not in Bristol shape it is definitely better than the battered todd that is up there now and with the cover that came with it should last me a couple of years before I have to have it recovered.

-- Edited by twiisted71 on Friday 9th of March 2012 06:53:50 AM
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #33
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

I guess we didn't know how close to swimming we are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lou and troy navigating.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	10496  

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote