Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #21
Guru
 
ARoss's Avatar
 
City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 625
RE: Helm chair?

Aw... why not go all the way???*

*

http://www.washingtonsuperads.com/bo...elm_Chair.aspx
__________________
Advertisement

ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #22
Guru
 
Arctic Traveller's Avatar


 
City: Juneau Alaska
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 619
RE: Helm chair?

Quote:
ARoss wrote:
Aw... why not go all the way???*

*

*
*Having sat for hours in several different Stidd's, I find them not as comfortable as I would expect.* Sure, they are built from top quality materials with outstanding workmanship and quality, but for my money, I'd rather spend 1/10 (or less) the price and get a more comfortable seat.* One option is to go on line and find handicap van conversion companies.* They routinely remove new van seats to install wheelchair mounts.* The company I bought my seats from had an entire warehouse full of new takeouts.* I got a new seat in leather with two adjustable arm rests, reclining back, and even built in cup holders.* Total cost?* Under $200 for a pair!!* I then removed the bottom sliding track, bolted a piece of plywood to the bottom and mated it to a standard seat base.* I've put hundreds of hours on that seat, and I think it's more comfortable than ones costing thousands.......Arctic Traveller
__________________

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #23
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,882
RE: Helm chair?

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:ARoss wrote:
Aw... why not go all the way???*

*

*
*Having sat for hours in several different Stidd's, I find them not as comfortable as I would expect.* Sure, they are built from top quality materials with outstanding workmanship and quality, but for my money, I'd rather spend 1/10 (or less) the price and get a more comfortable seat.* One option is to go on line and find handicap van conversion companies.* They routinely remove new van seats to install wheelchair mounts.* The company I bought my seats from had an entire warehouse full of new takeouts.* I got a new seat in leather with two adjustable arm rests, reclining back, and even built in cup holders.* Total cost?* Under $200 for a pair!!* I then removed the bottom sliding track, bolted a piece of plywood to the bottom and mated it to a standard seat base.* I've put hundreds of hours on that seat, and I think it's more comfortable than ones costing thousands.......Arctic Traveller

*Bingo!* but some still prefer yachtie over practcal...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #24
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,167
RE: Helm chair?

I think my lag bolts go thru the FG and into the framing of the floor. Sorry, no picture, and I am thousands of miles from the boat just now. You could use a piece of aluminum or a thicker piece of wood, as an adapter plate, just to get the strength you will need. The torquing of mine, after about 15 yrs in place, has never been a problem. Mind, when it gets rough enough to put extreme stresses on the bolts holding the chair in place, I am down below.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #25
TF Site Team
 
dwhatty's Avatar
 
City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,732
RE: Helm chair?

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:ARoss wrote:
Aw... why not go all the way???*

*

*
*Having sat for hours in several different Stidd's, I find them not as comfortable as I would expect.* Sure, they are built from top quality materials with outstanding workmanship and quality, but for my money, I'd rather spend 1/10 (or less) the price and get a more comfortable seat.* One option is to go on line and find handicap van conversion companies.* They routinely remove new van seats to install wheelchair mounts.* The company I bought my seats from had an entire warehouse full of new takeouts.* I got a new seat in leather with two adjustable arm rests, reclining back, and even built in cup holders.* Total cost?* Under $200 for a pair!!* I then removed the bottom sliding track, bolted a piece of plywood to the bottom and mated it to a standard seat base.* I've put hundreds of hours on that seat, and I think it's more comfortable than ones costing thousands.......Arctic Traveller

Been looking online but haven't found any companies yet that advertise takeouts for sale. Can you tell us the name of the company you bought from?
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #26
Guru
 
Arctic Traveller's Avatar


 
City: Juneau Alaska
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 619
RE: Helm chair?

Been looking online but haven't found any companies yet that advertise takeouts for sale. Can you tell us the name of the company you bought from?

Try, *

http://www.absolutemobilitycenter.com/contact.html

I simply looked up "handicap van conversions" and gave them a call.* They didn't advertise the seats, but if they build new vans for use with wheelchair lifts, it's guaranteed they take out seats.* There should be manufacturers all over the country, so finding one near you should'nt be too difficult.** ......Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #27
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,176
RE: Helm chair?

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:ARoss wrote:
Aw... why not go all the way???*

*

*
*Having sat for hours in several different Stidd's, I find them not as comfortable as I would expect.* Sure, they are built from top quality materials with outstanding workmanship and quality, but for my money, I'd rather spend 1/10 (or less) the price and get a more comfortable seat.* One option is to go on line and find handicap van conversion companies.* They routinely remove new van seats to install wheelchair mounts.* The company I bought my seats from had an entire warehouse full of new takeouts.* I got a new seat in leather with two adjustable arm rests, reclining back, and even built in cup holders.* Total cost?* Under $200 for a pair!!* I then removed the bottom sliding track, bolted a piece of plywood to the bottom and mated it to a standard seat base.* I've put hundreds of hours on that seat, and I think it's more comfortable than ones costing thousands.......Arctic Traveller

*Brilliant!* Absolutely brilliant!!
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #28
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,420
RE: Helm chair?

Quote:
FlyWright wrote: Brilliant!* Absolutely brilliant!!
******** Couldn't agree more! Another helpful hint from Jim Venture. (Artic Traveller's pen name.)
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #29
Guru
 
Arctic Traveller's Avatar


 
City: Juneau Alaska
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 619
RE: Helm chair?

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:FlyWright wrote: Brilliant!* Absolutely brilliant!!
******** Couldn't agree more! Another helpful hint from Jim Venture. (Artic Traveller's pen name.)

*Sorry, but you have me confused with someone else.* I offer trawler training at www.arctictraveller.com
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #30
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,523
RE: Helm chair?

The Stidds are not designed to be kind to your butt.

They are to save your spine after hour after hour of 4-6G loads, on operating vessels.

Auto takeouts ARE designed to be couch like , and are fine for the 1 G cruisers.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #31
Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 511
RE: Helm chair?

Any body have experience with the Tracy Int'l helm chairs? *I'm supposed to go see one on Th. morning. *Supposedly needs recovering but if its comfy I may buy it.

*

http://www.tracy-intl.com/portofino.html
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:53 AM   #32
Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 511
Helm chair?

Well i bought one of these seats y-day. There are 2 left on Ft Myers CL. they came off a 80' Hatteras and all I can say is WOW are these things beefy! I'm not sure what I'll use the pedestal for but it won't be on my flybridge. they have adjustable arms and back and the seats slide F/R. the closest way I can describe the solid build quality of the chairs is to compare them to the old fashioned barbershop chairs. While not in Bristol shape it is definitely better than the battered todd that is up there now and with the cover that came with it should last me a couple of years before I have to have it recovered.


-- Edited by twiisted71 on Friday 9th of March 2012 06:53:50 AM
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #33
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
RE: Helm chair?

I guess we didn't know how close to swimming we are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lou and troy navigating.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	10496  
__________________

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Helm skipperdude General Discussion 38 07-09-2011 03:15 PM
Adding a captain's chair to lower helm - ideas? 7tiger7 General Discussion 34 03-29-2011 09:20 AM
New Helm Chair for Old School Gulf Comanche Other Trawler Systems 21 03-01-2011 09:24 AM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012