Helm chair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
I need a new helm seat! Any recomendations??

I had Lebroc custom make a great helm seat for my boat. They also supplied the 4” pedestal, footrest, etc...

They even sourced the exact same material that I used for the pilothouse upholstery.

They are not cheap, I was into this one a bit less than $3K but I am more than pleased with the results.

I bought a new leather front seat from a Honda Odyssey that was being rebuilt by a company in Arizona for drivers who are physically impaired. It was a new Honda thus new front seat, I think I paid maybe $125 including shipping. I used the pedestal and base from the helm chair that came with the boat, took all to a welding shop and they put it together. Reinstalled in the boat and it is a very comfortable helm seat that slides forward and back, plus lays way back if needed. Whole deal cost maybe $250. Highly recommend it.

I bought a new leather front seat from a Honda Odyssey that was being rebuilt by a company in Arizona for drivers who are physically impaired. It was a new Honda thus new front seat, I think I paid maybe $125 including shipping. I used the pedestal and base from the helm chair that came with the boat, took all to a welding shop and they put it together. Reinstalled in the boat and it is a very comfortable helm seat that slides forward and back, plus lays way back if needed. Whole deal cost maybe $250. Highly recommend it.

We bought 2 of the same leather seats for pilothouse companion seats. $50 at a junkyard. More comfortable than the tugs helm chair.

Helm Chair

We purchased a new Lebroc this year to replace the original in our Tug. We bought a new pedestal, base and slider with optional lumbar. Used it for 2 months this summer on our trip up to the Broughtons. Very happy with comfort and function.

What ever you select , be sure it has a location that will allow it to be secured with out tipping over.

So, my PO took a couple of Todd pedestals, and rigged up a sliding/ tilting mechanism, and then just attached some fairly run of the mill office chairs. pretty ingenious when stidd will charge you many thousand more.

" and then just attached some fairly run of the mill office chairs. pretty ingenious when stidd will charge you many thousand more."

The fancy Stidd are built to attempt to save spines in 4-6+G impacts.

Thats why there expensive.

office depot, bad ass leather chair $400.00 No 4 G impacts on the Rose just slow rolling. Later I did find a chair at a 18 wheeler repair shop, new leather all kind of options for $300 and some change. I would have done that if it was available at the time

Use caution regarding the office chair solution.. I have seen the outcome of one used for the purpose after the base failed due to the torque loads imposed in boat use. Not saying it shouldn't be done but the flexing load imposed by a 200+lb body swinging around atop of a pole is pretty significant.
HOLLYWOOD

I recently got one from Springfield Marine for a customer. seemed like a good compromise between the office chair we have in our wheelhouse and a Stidd. Someone can try to justify the cost of a Stidd by talking about impact mitigation, but that is irrelevant on a trawler, a trawler owner buys one to show off. They are pretty comfy to sit in, but this summer we met a couple with lots of room in the pilothouse that installed a pair of Lazyboys. Have to say I was a bit envious.

"...this summer we met a couple with lots of room in the pilothouse that installed a pair of Lazyboys. Have to say I was a bit envious."

Got a chuckle out of that, and I'm still smiling as I type this message.

Anyhow, I had a Stidd chair on my Nordhavn and loved it. If I had needed to replace it for whatever reason I would likely have gotten another Stidd. I have the factory original chair in my Meridian and I hate it, but since I'm going to sell the boat I will leave it in place.

I am looking at another trawler and will see what it comes with. If I don't like it I will replace it with a Stidd or a LazyBoy (chuckle again).

I installed a seatbelt on my Nordhavn. I got tired of bracing against the dashboard on longer ocean trips when bad weather (bad, not horrible) was unavoidable. It was great, and I will likely do the same on my next trawler.

If you’re talking about an inside helm, we’ve been very pleased with the Herman Miller Aeron bar stool height. Those last three words are important if you want to see over a high prow. They’re endlessly adjustable, extremely comfortable and the breathable mesh is great in hot weather. Built like a tank, they’re amazingly stable on their own, but can be lashed to a recessed tie down in the floor. They can also be lowered to serve as an occasional chair. Be sure to opt for the non-skid feet.

Attachments

• E40D2700-B87D-429B-8F4B-B680303B878B.jpeg
    E40D2700-B87D-429B-8F4B-B680303B878B.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Do you have a picture of your helm?

I need a new helm seat! Any recommendations??

First question would be, is this for the lower helm or flying bridge?
Second is, why do you need a new one? Is there something you don't like about the current one, or something it lacks that you wish you had?

I was on a 1500 mile trip from Florida to Texas and about 5 days into the 32 day trip I realized I needed a chair. I went to Wallmart and bought an inexpensive, unfinished, wooden bar stool and a soft 12" square cushion.

I used it for 5 years until I sold the boat.

Last edited:
chair option...

Good morning,
I looked a LONG time for a chair/base combo that wasn't ridiculously priced. NO LUCK... But what I did find, was one of these chairs (super comfy).

https://www.pontoonstuff.com/produc...ADUlrV3JXBoxcp1m1MUFuvt1F0cNMq6MaAndQEALw_wcB

paired with a wide based shop stool that has a lift system. Just tossed the padded portions and screwed the base to a regular marine sliding mount. WORKS GREAT!!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007QV0RMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, as someone else mentioned, depending on what type of waters you are in, maybe look into a way of securing the base to the floor with a strap or something... Good luck, hope this helps!!! :)

We have the Stidd Admiral on MOJO & once the sticker shock wore off (19 yrs ago) we've been very happy with it. Just had it reupholstered last month for $150 + 3 yds marine Ultraleather. Good as new. http://www.mvmojo.com

I agree with mojo,but dont know if price will ever wear off,Stidd is the best most comfy recliner and solid

Attachments

• 20201212_163707.jpg
    20201212_163707.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom