Hello Mates! New to Forum...Florida Training Cruise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brewster

New to Forum...Florida Training Cruise?

Hello all!

I am Bruce, proud wanna-be owner of a trawler in the near future.
Have done quite a bit of reading about choosing a vessel for the Great Loop and coastal cruising. The Admiral is on-board with the adventure :) I have extensive runabout experience on a local lake here in Michigan, an 18' I/O. This in no way raises my confidence for operating a trawler but the experience does bring an instant smile and as well a yearning for the next step in the adventure :) We've been looking through various boats for the last 6 months or so... We understand the value of a draft less than 4' and believe we would be happy in a Monk 36, GB 36 or a PDQ 34 (probably an out-lier on this one).

Anyway, enough with the back ground... My question is... does anyone have experience with a training charter that they could recommend?

We'll be traveling to Florida the first week of May and could charter then. We live in Michigan and could charter on the Great Lakes later in the spring.

We'd like to get our toes wet a bit first and try out trawler cruising before making the next steps. Any other thoughts or recommendations would be welcomed!

Thanks mates, Bruce

Last edited:
Welcome Bruce.

There is one I am aware of in the Chesapeake Bay area called Blue Goose Charters. Can't vouch for it but it seems to cover the bases well. You can get captained or bare boat charters and they have several boats to choose charters from.

One difference between runabout experience and a trawler is that everyplace takes longer to get to on a trawler. I'm rarely in a hurry anyway, so it suits me well. I shopped for more than six months myself and finally purchased exactly what I wanted. Ended up with an Albin 36' double cabin with a single 120hp Lehman with bow and stern thrusters. Makes docking much easier.

Good luck on your search.

mike

Welcome aboard TF.

I'd recommend joining a local US Power Squadron and taking some of their courses.
They offer everything from basic boating to engine maintenance, weather, piloting to celestial navigation.
Some of heir courses include on-the-water as well as class room training.

A big plus is you will come away with a network of knowledgeable boating resources.

You have some great cruising grounds in your neighborhood to get you experience & confidence to venture further.

Chitwood, in Sarasota, offers Captain Training in addition to their charters. You can also charter bareboat and find your own captain.

Back
Top Bottom