Hello Back to Cool Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger Long

Vessel Name
Gypsy Star
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
I just got an email from "Cool Beans" asking if that was us he saw pulling into a slip across from him yesterday. I replied and realized it would serve as the post here updating our situation. So...

It sure is (us). There is only one other for sale in the world on Yachtworld so they are rare. We called about the other before buying this one and the broker said, “Don’t even come to look unless you want to do a lot of deck core work.” Ours spent its life in Detroit and every winter in a heated shed so it’s a special boat and as solid as the day she was built.

We pulled into Norfolk last April and got to thinking about all the places in the world that we would never see if we kept snowbirding (This will be my tenth trip up or down and Patsy’s sixth.) We had just spent two weeks in Wilmington putting in a new generator so Patsy was a bit burnt out. So, we put her up for sale here at the “If lightning strikes price”. I can’t say enough good about Steve Scherr of Knot10. He took on a very long shot sale and it ended up taking more time than any of his other listings. There was lots of interest but the boat seemed to bring out all the nut cases whose hobby is looking at boats, not buying them. She is incredibly sound and clean but minimally equipped and does need a lot more system upgrading than most trawler buyers want to take on. There was not one offer.

I’ve been almost 30,000 (yes, 4 zeros) miles in three boats since retiring so I could happily go on to something else but Pasty fell in love with cruising when she fell in love with me and I don’t mind a bit accommodating her. Anyway, she’s dreaming of the lowlands and Florida again so the “For Sale” sign came off yesterday and I’m calling the broker today to pull the listing.

I’m aboard with a friend who did the delivery from Detroit to Albany when we bought the boat. Patsy is home closing up the cottage and other preparations for absence. She also never wants to see the Alligator River and NC sounds again after the beatings we’ve taken there. We’ll pick her up when we drive back for Ron’s car from Wilmington or New Bern. Right now, we are installing a new WC and holding tank in the guest head. We’re just waiting for the tank to arrive today or tomorrow. When that is finished and the engine filters changed, we’ll be heading south.

We were returning from a mini-cruise yesterday to meet up with my son in Point Comfort. He is on a sailboat delivery from Portland to Jacksonville.

We haven’t stocked the bar (or anything else yet) but if you drink IPA, I’ll extend the same invitation. You should see the inside of this boat as you may never see another like it.

Hi Roger:

I enjoyed your post immensely, and looked up the broker's listing of your boat on Yachtworld. She is a stunningly beautiful and roomy vessel, and it is obvious why you two decided to keep her.

Fair Seas,
Pea

You made the correct decision. Continue to enjoy a great boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom