Old 10-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #1

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Hello Back to Cool Beans

I just got an email from "Cool Beans" asking if that was us he saw pulling into a slip across from him yesterday. I replied and realized it would serve as the post here updating our situation. So...

It sure is (us). There is only one other for sale in the world on Yachtworld so they are rare. We called about the other before buying this one and the broker said, ďDonít even come to look unless you want to do a lot of deck core work.Ē Ours spent its life in Detroit and every winter in a heated shed so itís a special boat and as solid as the day she was built.

We pulled into Norfolk last April and got to thinking about all the places in the world that we would never see if we kept snowbirding (This will be my tenth trip up or down and Patsyís sixth.) We had just spent two weeks in Wilmington putting in a new generator so Patsy was a bit burnt out. So, we put her up for sale here at the ďIf lightning strikes priceĒ. I canít say enough good about Steve Scherr of Knot10. He took on a very long shot sale and it ended up taking more time than any of his other listings. There was lots of interest but the boat seemed to bring out all the nut cases whose hobby is looking at boats, not buying them. She is incredibly sound and clean but minimally equipped and does need a lot more system upgrading than most trawler buyers want to take on. There was not one offer.

Iíve been almost 30,000 (yes, 4 zeros) miles in three boats since retiring so I could happily go on to something else but Pasty fell in love with cruising when she fell in love with me and I donít mind a bit accommodating her. Anyway, sheís dreaming of the lowlands and Florida again so the ďFor SaleĒ sign came off yesterday and Iím calling the broker today to pull the listing.

Iím aboard with a friend who did the delivery from Detroit to Albany when we bought the boat. Patsy is home closing up the cottage and other preparations for absence. She also never wants to see the Alligator River and NC sounds again after the beatings weíve taken there. Weíll pick her up when we drive back for Ronís car from Wilmington or New Bern. Right now, we are installing a new WC and holding tank in the guest head. Weíre just waiting for the tank to arrive today or tomorrow. When that is finished and the engine filters changed, weíll be heading south.

We were returning from a mini-cruise yesterday to meet up with my son in Point Comfort. He is on a sailboat delivery from Portland to Jacksonville.

We havenít stocked the bar (or anything else yet) but if you drink IPA, Iíll extend the same invitation. You should see the inside of this boat as you may never see another like it.

Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: Mariso
Vessel Model: 43-ft American Boatworks custom
Hi Roger:

I enjoyed your post immensely, and looked up the broker's listing of your boat on Yachtworld. She is a stunningly beautiful and roomy vessel, and it is obvious why you two decided to keep her.

Fair Seas,
Pea

Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Little River, SC
Vessel Name: Memory Lane
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 40 Motor Yacht
You made the correct decision. Continue to enjoy a great boat.
Cliff Meima is offline   Reply With Quote