Old 02-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Heavy Weather

Quote:
Delfin wrote:

Is that your plane Marin?* Very nice.
No.* It belongs to Kenmore Air.* However my wife and I became good friends of the family that founded and owns Kenmore Air, I did all my flying there starting in 1980 or thereabouts, and wrote magazine articles and a book about flying floatplanes using their planes in the illustrations and on the magazine covers, and most recently wrote a book about the company itself.* Bottom line is that they let my wife and I use their Beavers whenever they can*spare one.

In the late 90s we were trying to decide between buying our own Beaver or a boat large enough to cruise the waters we'd been flying over for almost 20 years.* We could afford one or the other, but not both.* I asked Bob Munro, one of the founders of the company and the man who ran it from 1946 until his death in 2000*and an avid boater himself what he thought we should get.* Without hesitation he said, "Buy the boat.* You'll never regret it.* You can always fly my airplanes."* So we did, and he was right.

We all have heroes, people we look up to and who made a major difference in our lives.* Bob Munro is mine.* This is my favorite photo of him, taken during one of his resupply flights to the Blue Glacier on the peak of Mt. Olympus.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 8th of February 2011 09:09:50 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bob munro.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	4685  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #42
Grand Vizier

RE: Heavy Weather

Lovely plane.

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #43
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Since this thread has been hijacked by pilots, this might fit.* While in Seymour narrows (just North of Campbell River BC) we were hit by a blizzard.* Snow was falling so fast that about every three or four minutes I had to go outside and squeegee the windows as the snow accumulation was causing the wipers to stall.* The radar was useless, but the plotter was working, so we crept forward.* About the time we passed under the overhead power lines at the North end, with visibility at about zero, I detected a bright light directly ahead.* Seconds later, a Beaver flew by just feet off the water.* The cockpit was at eye level to my pilot house, and the look on the pilots face is seared into my brain. He was not having a good day.* My wife mentioned that his passenger would most likely never fly in a small plane again.* It scared the hell out of ME!* I do know he flew under the power lines, but I have no idea what happened after that...........................Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #44
Grand Vizier

Wow, what a coincidence.* That was Marin flying that plane!
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #45
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Ragnar,
Reading your story left me w an oh my god feeling. I worked at False Pass as the radioman (KWF27) in 67. That was in the Nick Beze days. Moving fish on scows was a never ending saga and the effort of keeping the fish cold never seemed to end either. Do you know/remember Larry Freeburn? he and my father were good friends. I was the first aid man at False Pass too and at times worked on radios. I worked at a Platinum mine at Goodnews Bay and a gold mine near Bethel also.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:53 AM   #46
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Wow, shades of 'the perfect storm' in that story Ragnar. I really related to that movie, especially as I've seen a documentary where they went to the fishing town where it mostly took place and interviewed the actual people involved - on land that is - the ones left behind. There are certain parallels in your story.
My uncle was a fisherman. It was going out long-lining in his boat as a teenager, (and he let me steer) that fired me with the desire to get my own boat one day. Sadly a few years later his boat was wrecked when it pulled loose its mooring in nasty weather (literally lifted it off the seafloor), and went onto rocks, and he lost her. He got off just in time and got ashore. He never went back fishing. The sea is unforgiving.....
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #47
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Delfin wrote:Wow, what a coincidence.* That was Marin flying that plane!
That's the first thought that popped in my head!* LOL

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #48
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

Quote:
Peter B wrote:

Wow, shades of 'the perfect storm' in that story Ragnar. I really related to that movie, especially as I've seen a documentary where they went to the fishing town where it mostly took place and interviewed the actual people involved - on land that is - the ones left behind.* *
An interesting side bar to the "Perfect Storm" documentary that*was omitted. Several of the families of the crew that were lost filed suit against NOAA and the federal gov. for negligence.* Apparently, the deep sea buoy that reported sea and atmospheric conditions for the Flemish Cap had been inoperative for some time. The CG had not had a chance to get out there to fix it, and also, due to the severity of the storm the buoy had dragged off position.* The Judge*ruled that the captain of the vessel was ultimately responsible for taking the vessel out to sea, and had other data sources available to him. He eventually threw all of the suits out.** ** *

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #49
Per
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Delfin wrote:

Is that your plane Marin?* Very nice.
No.* It belongs to Kenmore Air.* However my wife and I became good friends of the family that founded and owns Kenmore Air, I did all my flying there starting in 1980 or thereabouts, and wrote magazine articles and a book about flying floatplanes using their planes in the illustrations and on the magazine covers, and most recently wrote a book about the company itself.* Bottom line is that they let my wife and I use their Beavers whenever they can*spare one.

In the late 90s we were trying to decide between buying our own Beaver or a boat large enough to cruise the waters we'd been flying over for almost 20 years.* We could afford one or the other, but not both.* I asked Bob Munro, one of the founders of the company and the man who ran it from 1946 until his death in 2000*and an avid boater himself what he thought we should get.* Without hesitation he said, "Buy the boat.* You'll never regret it.* You can always fly my airplanes."* So we did, and he was right.

We all have heroes, people we look up to and who made a major difference in our lives.* Bob Munro is mine.* This is my favorite photo of him, taken during one of his resupply flights to the Blue Glacier on the peak of Mt. Olympus.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 8th of February 2011 09:09:50 PM

My wife was the interim GM at Rosario resort when we dated, I actually proposed to her on the docks over there (Friday Harbor I think).
We flew several times with Kenmore and was always impressed (especially me) with their operation.

Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #50
Guru

Ha Ha
You were so smitten you're not shure where you were. Now I'm embaresed to admit what I can't remember.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #51
Guru

Have a drink Ragnar
Old 02-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #52
KJ
El Capitan

Heavy Weather

Dear Mr. R. Walsh (aka: Ragnar),*
I would like to take this opportunity to offer my services to you as your agent for a small percentage of the movie and book rights.*** 'nough said.***** KJ

ps* is it* Ragnar Lodbrok?

-- Edited by KJ on Wednesday 9th of February 2011 11:20:15 PM
Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #53
TF Site Team

Quote:
KJ wrote:

Peter B wrote:

Wow, shades of 'the perfect storm' in that story Ragnar. I really related to that movie, especially as I've seen a documentary where they went to the fishing town where it mostly took place and interviewed the actual people involved - on land that is - the ones left behind.* *
An interesting side bar to the "Perfect Storm" documentary that*was omitted. Several of the families of the crew that were lost filed suit against NOAA and the federal gov. for negligence.* Apparently, the deep sea buoy that reported sea and atmospheric conditions for the Flemish Cap had been inoperative for some time. The CG had not had a chance to get out there to fix it, and also, due to the severity of the storm the buoy had dragged off position.* The Judge*ruled that the captain of the vessel was ultimately responsible for taking the vessel out to sea, and had other data sources available to him. He eventually threw all of the suits out.*******

KJ, on that question of wave-rider buoys, you and others might be interested to know that during that humungous cat 5 cyclone Yasi, which tore through North Queensland just one short week ago, the wave-rider buoy out in its path gave up and went off the air after passing on a reading or 85 metres.* Now there is some speculation re the accuracy, and that it might have been so bodily tossed around it broke it's chain and flew into the air - we will never know - it's gone.* Also the weather station on Willis Island, built to cat 5 standards following Larry a cat 4 about 5 yrs before, broke down after reading winds of 185 kph.* It was smashed!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #54
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Ragnar wrote:

Well KJ, after attempting to be a part of this community, I give up. I've honestly tried to share some experiences I've had, and in return I get your comment. I thought perhaps this was a community of gracious boaters who enjoy the pleasure of each other's company. You win, I quit. I'll close out my account.
Don't do it Ragnar! There is actually a lot of what you seek in this group. We all say things we shouldn't from time to time, and often without thinking how someone else might take it. And there is a lot of potential in a written format to misunderstand what someone has said. We could sure use your kind soul amongst us.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #55
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Carey wrote:

Ragnar wrote:

Well KJ, after attempting to be a part of this community, I give up. I've honestly tried to share some experiences I've had, and in return I get your comment. I thought perhaps this was a community of gracious boaters who enjoy the pleasure of each other's company. You win, I quit. I'll close out my account.
Don't do it Ragnar! There is actually a lot of what you seek in this group. We all say things we shouldn't from time to time, and often without thinking how someone else might take it. And there is a lot of potential in a written format to misunderstand what someone has said. We could sure use your kind soul amongst us.

I agree.* I'm not even sure what was meant by the comments.* I would like to hear more from Ragnar.* It sounds very interesting.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #56
Scraping Paint

City: -
Heavy Weather

Quote:
Ragnar wrote:

Well KJ, after attempting to be a part of this community, I give up.
I interpreted KJ's "agent" comment as a compliment to your ability to relate a good story.* Perhaps I was wrong.

Regardless, it's a benefit to all of us to have someone who has experienced what most of us have just read about.* I've heard about Little Diomede island.* Back in the '80s I was asked to write a two-part magazine*article about a fairly famous Alaska bush pilot, Orville Tosch (father of the Paul Tosch who today*does the traffic reporting for KOMO in Seattle).* Orville told me a story about going out to Little Diomede.* I don't remember why he went--* I think it was something to do with an airplane problem he was having---*but it was in a walrus hide boat.

The people who have lived and worked*in*environments like this have experienced things*most people are hard-pressed to even imagine.* I have interviewed a lot of*PT boat vets for my current writing project and when you think about it, it's pretty amazing to be talking to*a person who lived through those kinds of adventures.

I would very much like to hear about your experiences in Alaska if you are willing to write them up.* Besides the opportunity to vicariously experience someone's achievement that is far beyond anything I will every accomplish, there's a good chance I'll learn something I can apply to our own boating here in the PNW.

Most of us who participate in this forum, including me, can be as*holes sometimes.* That's the penalty of the "no repercussions" nature of the internet.* But that should not diminish the value of your contribution to the group.* So like Carey, I hope you'll stick around and give us the benefit of your experiences and adventures*when you feel like writing them up.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 10th of February 2011 12:32:48 AM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #57
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

Ragnar,

Come back and I'll tell my story about when I worked on the Alaskan Star Semi-submersible drilling rig 60 miles offshore from Yakutat in a 60 foot swell.* I kid-you-not!* I read your experience with reflection of what could have happened to us those stormy nights in 1978...
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:44 AM   #58
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

IMHO Ragna, I think you misinterpreted KJ's post. For myself I thought your story was extraordinary.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:25 AM   #59
TF Site Team

I roger that. I think you totally misinterpreted KJ's comment Ragnar. It was complimentary. My reading of it was wow, here's someone who has really done some s**t worth writing about, and worth reading as well. For mine, I want the movie rights, bugger the book. We're always pulling legs on here - can't help it, it's par for the course. Just don't take things quite so literally. Same goes for over on OTDE. Just jump in and hayangon.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #60
KJ
El Capitan

Heavy Weather

Quote:
Ragnar wrote:

Richard (Ragnar),
Please accept my most humble apology for any possible negativity that you might have derived from my post.* Your interpretation was just the opposite of my intent. I have nothing but the greatest admiration for an individual that has been through such an ordeal as you and still maintains a positive attitude.* My comments about movie and book rights was just my way of saying that more people should be able to share your experience.* As many of the other folks have mentioned, we welcome the addition of such* seaman as yourself to the forum.
My inquiry regarding your avatar, Ragnar; I was curious as to the reference of the name, Raganr Lodbrok was a* legendary Norse superhero that was supposed to be a direct descendant of Odin (the head honcho of Norse mythology).* I thought it was a really cool name.***
Anyway, hope to hear from you soon.******* KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 10th of February 2011 08:49:46 AM