They are all off lobster hunting!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Green Turtle Bahamas in August..

Man we searched all day for lobster. No luck. Probably in the wrong spot. We were in Gillam Bay/Long Bay around that big Pelican House out on the rock. Then floated with the current toward Bita Bay. Lots of rocks, but no rock lobster.

Where’s the good spot?

Because we suck at lobsta huntin’ we were forced into plan B— hamburger/spam/jalapeño fried rice. It’s gonna be amazing. [emoji51]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6686.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	92264Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6687.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	92265
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Maybe the best time to go, except for maybe a hurricane...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #5
Guru

Wait, wut? Hurricane?
Old 08-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Did you try asking a local where they are hot right now? a twenty works wonders!

When we were there last year we bought a bag of nine for not much at Treasure, Three great meals out of them!

Green Turtle, Treasure, And Manjack | AtAnchor.com
Old 08-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #7
Guru

Green Turtle Bahamas in August..

Yeah the local told us to go where we went. We are going to try another spot tomorrow, then if no luck will get this guy we met in a bar here to take us out. He’s is a self proclaimed lobster genius. Sounds legit.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #8
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Yeah Mon
Old 08-13-2019, 09:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Tarpon Spgs Fl.
Vessel Name: sold Pursuit refit '76 36' sloop
Vessel Model: trawler in future...
ha...39 years ago when I spent a year sailing and diving the Bahamas and 4 years sailing the caribbean...we got sick of eating lobster....average size i speared was 3-4 lbs...anytime i wanted em.
At Conception Island in 25 ft. depth I got the 75 yr old grandaddy..14.5 lbs!...
he still had blue on his shoulders from a recent molt...thus the meat was tender..it took us 3 days to eat the 8 lb. tail...his 2 antennas were each 6 ft long...ahhhh the good old days.... how lucky I was.
x sailor, x st. Thomas captain '78-'83, sailed entire Bahamas, Dom. Rep. P.R. and eastern Caribbean in 1971 Morgan 35 c/b sloop, 15 hp yanmar. ... 1/'17 SOLD 1976 morgan Heritage West Indies 36' sloop..gorgeous refit..pic'd avatar
bigthaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
It's offseason. I know someone who got dockage at Bahia Mar for $1.25/ft. Wish we were there but we are enjoying our work here in SC and have two more weeks before we take a break. Then we'll get some boating in.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:00 PM   #11
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Hwy car dude. We were there two weeks ago, saw your boat tied up next door to black sound marina. Looked good.

Tough to find fish or lobster from Green turtle south these days, unfortunately. Too many guys in trip engine center consoles running over for a long weekend and hitting rhe area hard with no regard to limits or regs. I know a guy who went over last year and brought home 400 lbs of undersized hog fish and grouper filets. He wàs bragging about it on the docks at leeward.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #12
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Cardude:

Great to see that you are having fun on your boat!

Another easy meal is hard-boiled eggs with spinach and some of that great bahamian bread.

Are you in the photos? How many do you have aboard with you this trip?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #13

City: Florida
Vessel Model: 420AC Sea Ray
Good to see you got back over there. We will be back the 29th ourselves. We brought our big boat back last month but my little boat is parked next door right now getting worked on.

Be careful around that rock of Bita/ Longbeach. There are a couple of butt head reef sharks that cruise that rock.

The pigs are near the dump. There is a guy who keeps some in a pen by there and a few got out and did pig things...
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #14
Guru

Score!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6693.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	92284

We got three! That was hard work. Got them in the cut between GTC and Fiddle right after low tide but still lots of current rushing through there. I was in the dinghy while my strong swimming son did all the work. [emoji6]
Old 08-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
Good to see you got back over there. We will be back the 29th ourselves. We brought our big boat back last month but my little boat is parked next door right now getting worked on.

Be careful around that rock of Bita/ Longbeach. There are a couple of butt head reef sharks that cruise that rock.

The pigs are near the dump. There is a guy who keeps some in a pen by there and a few got out and did pig things...

Thanks for the shark tip! I was on constant shark when he was diving but not sure what I would do. Jump in and punch on the nose I guess?

It’s so uncrowded here. I like it! Not that I’m unsocial. [emoji51]
Old 08-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #16

City: Florida
Vessel Model: 420AC Sea Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
It’s so uncrowded here. I like it! Not that I’m unsocial. [emoji51]

Yep. Things are winding down there. Almost everything closes after Sept. 3rd.
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Cardude:

Great to see that you are having fun on your boat!

Another easy meal is hard-boiled eggs with spinach and some of that great bahamian bread.

Are you in the photos? How many do you have aboard with you this trip?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Yes, we are having some fun. Just me and my eldest son this trip. Wife and youngest son had some things going on. That’s my son in that lobster photo. That’s me in the hat acting like I’m playing volleyball. [emoji41]

Thanks for the tip on the food. That sounds good! My son on the boat is a good cook, and he’s going to chef up these lobster. He split the tails to pan fry in garlic and caper butter, then going to toss some pasta in to soak up the juicy goodness he said. I’m excited!
Old 08-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Hwy car dude. We were there two weeks ago, saw your boat tied up next door to black sound marina. Looked good.

Tough to find fish or lobster from Green turtle south these days, unfortunately. Too many guys in trip engine center consoles running over for a long weekend and hitting rhe area hard with no regard to limits or regs. I know a guy who went over last year and brought home 400 lbs of undersized hog fish and grouper filets. He wàs bragging about it on the docks at leeward.

Cool! What did you think about my slip setup? I thought it was nice having those piles outside the T-head so I can pull it off the dock, plus plenty of room for extra lines for storms?

That’s a damn shame those dudes are overfishing this area. Gordon Gekko was wrong— greed is not good!
Old 08-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Tarpon Spgs Fl.
Vessel Name: sold Pursuit refit '76 36' sloop
Vessel Model: trawler in future...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post

That sucks....soon the'll be nothing left...too many aholes
x sailor, x st. Thomas captain '78-'83, sailed entire Bahamas, Dom. Rep. P.R. and eastern Caribbean in 1971 Morgan 35 c/b sloop, 15 hp yanmar. ... 1/'17 SOLD 1976 morgan Heritage West Indies 36' sloop..gorgeous refit..pic'd avatar
bigthaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #20
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Cool! What did you think about my slip setup? I thought it was nice having those piles outside the T-head so I can pull it off the dock, plus plenty of room for extra lines for storms?

That’s a damn shame those dudes are overfishing this area. Gordon Gekko was wrong— greed is not good!

I thought the slip set up looked really good. Black Sound is a great place to keep a boat. Are you going to haul out at the boatyard in the event of a big storm?

Yes, the overfishing is a shame. I was in the Bahamas fisheries booth at Icast (a trade show for fishing retailers, guides and professional fisherman) in July. They told me there isn't a single fisheries officer in the entire Abaco chain from Walkers to Hole in The Wall. Some people are going to abuse that.

We are having a garage built and our driveway contractor just got back from his first Bahamas fishing trip last week on their 34' Contender. They went to Bimini. When I asked him how they did he said "not very good, just a few snapper. But we found an area that had a lot of conchs. We picked up a few hundred."

The limit is 6 per boat. Also, it's illegal to bring conch back into the US, even if it caught in the Bahamas.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote