Old 10-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #41
Guru

City: Hampton Va Back River
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
It is unusual and a little scary, at least to me.
If Ehrlin, the owner demanded insurance on the boats, I think he would lose half his paying customers.

What I like about the place, no problems with DIY yard work. Easy relaxed atmosphere, nobody super pretentious, people just seem like honest hard working folk. there is a mix of vary nice looking boats and run down looking boats. This yard also demolishes and crushes old boats which is fun to watch. And sometimes I get free stuff.

here it is near LAFB in Hampton. We pay $150 per month.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...!4d-76.3138461

The owner has a metal working business with the area shipyards, but the marina he seems to run for the fun of it. He really enjoys it, he is there all the time working on projects.

Another advantage he will haul out any wooden boat even if falling apart. A lot of marinas wont do that. My boat is in great shape, but when I called 4 marinas, Dandy Haven, York River Yacht haven refuse to haul wood boats. Belle Isle and Marina cove will.

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #42
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Being in Alaska, we heat boats year round.

Big boats and small... They all use some form of diesel heat. Even the smallest outboard powered cuddly cabins will generally have a diesel furnace of some kind.

Some prefer hydronic.
Some prefer forced air.
Some prefer Espar
Some prefer webasto
Some prefer Wallas

The common denominator with all the systems is that they use diesel.

No need to run the generator, as they use DC power. They are perfectly safe as they exhaust outside the boat. They are reliable, and they are very efficient.

I'll be on the boat tonight. Although the temperature will be in the 30's the boat will be perfectly warm and cosey.

Folks, you can choose whatever you want. You can run your generator 24X7 if you want. You can poision the air you breath by using non vented heaters if you want. You can get cold, and wear heavy jackets onboard, and sleep under layers of blankets if you want. Thats up to you.

But...If you want to stay warm. If you want to stay dry. If you want to stay safe. Invest in a diesel furnace.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #43
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
If Ehrlin, the owner demanded insurance on the boats, I think he would lose half his paying customers.

What I like about the place, no problems with DIY yard work. Easy relaxed atmosphere, nobody super pretentious, people just seem like honest hard working folk. there is a mix of vary nice looking boats and run down looking boats. This yard also demolishes and crushes old boats which is fun to watch. And sometimes I get free stuff.

here it is near LAFB in Hampton. We pay $150 per month.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...!4d-76.3138461

The owner has a metal working business with the area shipyards, but the marina he seems to run for the fun of it. He really enjoys it, he is there all the time working on projects.

Another advantage he will haul out any wooden boat even if falling apart. A lot of marinas wont do that. My boat is in great shape, but when I called 4 marinas, Dandy Haven, York River Yacht haven refuse to haul wood boats. Belle Isle and Marina cove will.
I also prefer a laidback type of place but given what I see on a daily basis I'm a little unsettled about putting my boat (home) at risk based on the often poor judgement of a neighbour. It is rare that if one boat goes it's the only one. I've been involved the the investigation of several major marina fires and witnessed two boats go up in flames. It is truly amazing how fast they go.

How is that little bay for anchoring, I'll be passing that way in a week or so after Matthew goes away and it looks like a convenient overnighter.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #44
Guru

City: Hampton Va Back River
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I also prefer a laidback type of place but given what I see on a daily basis I'm a little unsettled about putting my boat (home) at risk based on the often poor judgement of a neighbour. It is rare that if one boat goes it's the only one. I've been involved the the investigation of several major marina fires and witnessed two boats go up in flames. It is truly amazing how fast they go.

How is that little bay for anchoring, I'll be passing that way in a week or so after Matthew goes away and it looks like a convenient overnighter.
Oh very nice for anchoring. There are many little coves well protected.

Right behind that long arching sand spit, is a pleasant spot, you can anchor very close to shore. People pull their boats right up to the sand and walk around and also fish. It can be very wavy elsewhere, and very calm water in there. On that map called north end point.

During the week, fighter jets from LAFB can roar overhead only during the day. They show an impressive amount of power and noise. some days nothing, some days they are flying. Most days is quiet.

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote