Heat reduction using window film?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Has anyone heard or or used V-Kool film on their salon windows?

I'm debating the merits of using something like that on the inside of our EB47's salon glass. We already have curtains, and likewise external textilene covers that get used when it's not in operation. Wondering what the up/downsides to some UV-blocking film might be.

And if not this particular brand, others?

I'm debating the merits of using something like that on the inside of our EB47's salon glass. We already have curtains, and likewise external textilene covers that get used when it's not in operation. Wondering what the up/downsides to some UV-blocking film might be.

If its temperature you want to lower, yes it works. I saw a demo at a home show for window film and it definitely cuts down interior temperatures. The demo was using a heat lamp with different grades of tint film. I had the same film installed on the inside of my office windows and it did cut down the temperature. I'm sure it cuts down UV as well.
The film I had installed was 3m, but I'm sure others will work. You can buy quality film on Amazon and DIY or visit an auto tint company. I'm sure they can do it.

I’ve used film on a couple of boats. Makes a huge difference. On my last boat I installed the kind that goes right on the glass. It’s a little fiddly getting it on wrinkle and bubble free, but 15 years later it still looks good and the heat reduction was substantial.
Current boat has heat reduction roller shades. I really like this way as I can roll them up in the winter when they’re not needed. You feel an immediate difference when you pull them down.

The previous owner had window film applied to the all windows except the windshield. I like it, don't know the manufacturer.

The only real downside I've experienced is when you slide the windows open, the overlapped portions of the windows are pretty difficult to see through. It is a minor concern as I usually operate from the upper station but I do find it annoying. I've found that opening a forward hatch or running a fan is a better option to keep the salon comfortable without cranking up the generator and AC.

The previous owner had window film applied to the all windows except the windshield. I like it, don't know the manufacturer.

The only real downside I've experienced is when you slide the windows open, the overlapped portions of the windows are pretty difficult to see through. It is a minor concern as I usually operate from the upper station but I do find it annoying. I've found that opening a forward hatch or running a fan is a better option to keep the salon comfortable without cranking up the generator and AC.

I'd imagine film that has polarization would certainly have overlap problems. And any kind of light-passing filtering would likewise increase. I only have two windows on the salon that overlap that way, and neither are in my typical helm field of view. That and when I'd be running from inside it's unlikely the windows would be open. So probably not a big issue for my situation, but good to point it out as an issue.

The one thing I've heard about films like that is to be careful not to use them on the inside of sealed multi-pane windows as the heat can get trapped and cause issues for the seal. Don't know how much truth there is to that.

Had a trapped heat situation with a east-facing front door that was painted black. Hanging a wreath there during Christmas season never worked as the heat would get trapped and pretty much dehydrate the pine needles in about 3 days time! Had to switch to an artificial wreath after that discovery.

Don't see the same thing happening on the boat windows as they're single pane, but figured it was worth asking if anyone's had genuine problems from using films like that.

As long as the polarization film is in the same orientation it will not totally block the light/view. But, if you run the film 90 degrees to one another across the two windows it will. The only reason to run polarized film is if you are looking to cut reflections off the surface of the water, otherwise for randomly polarized light (like directly from the sun) it will just act as a neutral density filter and cut the overall percentage of light.

Our current boat came with some interior tinting on the windows. Apparently only color tinting, no UV or IR filtering. Dark. Made everything outside those windows look purple. Yuck.

We replaced with 3M Prestige 50, and added Prestige 60 to the previously-untinted rear slider. (The numbers mean how much light they let pass through.) Two god outcomes: everything outside isn't purple anymore, and we had a significant reduction in interior heat from the front windows. IIRC, it was a 20°F reduction at peak, something like that.

Installer (XlntTint, did good work) said they couldn't put Prestige 40 on the front; said it'd trap too much heat and risk shattering from that.

We still use the exterior Textilene mesh on the front windows in Juyly and August, though.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom