Heading out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knotheadcharters

Vessel Name
Amar la Vida
Vessel Make
1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Getting ready for a two week trip to Stuart. First extended trip since we bought her so hoping everything goes well. Just waiting for my parents to show up,driving from MD.

Where are you starting your journey?

The boat is in Jacksonville Florida. Nothing spectacular about 50-60 miles a day. We want easy 8kt days with plenty of time in the afternoons for strolling around off the boat. My parents boat on the Chesapeake Bay so it is a nice winter break for them.

We plan to be at the boat in Ft. Pierce most of next week and part of the week after. Taking care of chores. If they get finished, we will probably run up to Vero Beach for a few days. Either place would be a nice stop for you. At Vero you can walk to the beach or take the free bus shuttle to the beach or town for shopping. Saturday mornings the Farmers Market next to Fort Pierce City Marina is great. We are docked on E Dock nest to it. Next to Last Mango. Our car will be in Fort Pierce, so if you need anything be glad to help.

The boat is in Jacksonville Florida. Nothing spectacular about 50-60 miles a day. We want easy 8kt days with plenty of time in the afternoons for strolling around off the boat. My parents boat on the Chesapeake Bay so it is a nice winter break for them.

If you live in Jacksonville, you probably already know this, but a trip up the St. Johns River as far as Sanford is a pretty neat trip if you're into wildlife, anchoring out, etc. Not so much if you're into the bar and club scene. Here is a link to our trip:
http://www.widman.biz/indigo/Adventures_of_HIGH_COTTON.pdf

We're thinking of cruising the Chesapeake bay this late spring/summer.

Last edited:
Well we are in Cocoa Village Marina. Already had stops in Marineland and New Smyrna beach. So far so good ran mosquito lagoon and Indian River yesterday, blowing stink, 25 to 35. Fuel burn on the 6-71TI's wait for it...... 3.5 gallons an hour @8-9 kts. Yup not bad. Yesterday stopped for fuel in Titusville ran at 14 kts to Cocoa, have to figure burn but should not be too bad. Moonstruck, we will be in Ft. Pierce on the 31rst for 2 nights I will look for you.

Ron the Admiral and I did the St. John's back in 07. Went as far as Deland. It was an awesome trip. Not to much going on as it was April but it was a blast. Most of the fish camps were closed, I will be doing that trip again with the Californian for sure.

Well we are in Cocoa Village Marina. Already had stops in Marineland and New Smyrna beach. So far so good ran mosquito lagoon and Indian River yesterday, blowing stink, 25 to 35. Fuel burn on the 6-71TI's wait for it...... 3.5 gallons an hour @8-9 kts. Yup not bad. Yesterday stopped for fuel in Titusville ran at 14 kts to Cocoa, have to figure burn but should not be too bad. Moonstruck, we will be in Ft. Pierce on the 31rst for 2 nights I will look for you.

Great, My son and I plan to drive down, weather permitting, on the 1st. Should be in there late evening. We are in Ft. Pierce City Marina on "E" dock slip 7 next to Last Mango. You won't see the name on Moonstruck until we get the covers off the transom and dinghy. Ask Freddy, Craig, or whoever is on duty to put you on E dock. It is very convenient for walking to town. If you need groceries we will have a car.

There is a farmers market from 2 to 6 Wednesdays in the park. Don't miss the light show in the park. You can walk around under the trees as they light up to the music.

A

Here's a little something to do for New Years Eve. It is in the corner of the marina towards town. You can crawl back to your boat from there.:D

"Fort Pierce City Marina residents and guests - ring in the New Year upstairs at Cobb's landing from 9pm to 1am. $15.00 per person for buffet plus a cash bar. Bring in the New Year with your friends and neighbors and walk back to your boat... you couldn't ask for a better time".

If you are looking for a couple of restaurants walk south about a block to Orange Ave. Turn right. A block or so up on the corner is Yellow Fins---very good. just past that is an Italian restaurant. Kind of a hole in the wall, but pretty good.

That is a great price! I also agree on Yellow Fins!

Here's a little something to do for New Years Eve. It is in the corner of the marina towards town. You can crawl back to your boat from there.:D

"Fort Pierce City Marina residents and guests - ring in the New Year upstairs at Cobb's landing from 9pm to 1am. $15.00 per person for buffet plus a cash bar. Bring in the New Year with your friends and neighbors and walk back to your boat... you couldn't ask for a better time".

If you are looking for a couple of restaurants walk south about a block to Orange Ave. Turn right. A block or so up on the corner is Yellow Fins---very good. just past that is an Italian restaurant. Kind of a hole in the wall, but pretty good.

There is a good bakery/cafe for breakfast in the big condo building across from the park and courts building. I walk over there for breakfast. There is also pretty good coffee available in the marina office.

Hope you enjoy Fort Pierce. If you see capt. Tris on the Last Mango, tell him we are heading down tomorrow.

Happy New Year

I'll probably be headed back up to Stuart pretty soon also. I've got some woodwork quotes and some unfinished deck sealing and window replacement. The goal is to get the boat water-tight before the rainy season starts again. I'll likely be staying on the St. Lucie River about a mile south of Stuart Bridge.

I'll probably be headed back up to Stuart pretty soon also. I've got some woodwork quotes and some unfinished deck sealing and window replacement. The goal is to get the boat water-tight before the rainy season starts again. I'll likely be staying on the St. Lucie River about a mile south of Stuart Bridge.

Hey, Larry. I will be down this week seeing about some things. One of them being getting some hatches resealed. Do you think the yard you use is capable of that? We are only about 25 miles from Stuart.

"You won't see the name on Moonstruck until we get the covers off the transom and dinghy."

You don't need a name on the transom to recognize that beautiful boat.

Have you ever considered a white hull? :D Maybe even a flybridge? :eek:

Happy New Year, Don!!

Here we go again!

Chris and Amar La Vida are in the harbor tonight. Son David and I got in about 1600 hours after driving since 0500 hours. Met Chris and his Dad. Great boat and humongous inside. They are starting back in the am. Too bad. Hope they come back. So much to do around here with the inlet so handy.

Trip complete

:dance:Thanks Don , it was a real pleasure meeting you also, let me know if you ever stop over in Jacksonville. It was a great trip and the boat performed flawlessly. While going over my logbook and working out the numbers, I have a very good idea about my fuel burn over various speeds and conditions.
The sweet spot seems to be 1800 rpms, at that I am going between 14.5 and 16 Kts burning an average of 18 gallons an hour total!! I am really suprised as I thought it would be more, but the numbers do not lie. I stopped at Beach Marina in Jacksonville Beach on the first day and filled up at 4.60 a gallon!! Titusville and Ft. Pierce was 3.99 ad St. Augustine was 4.15, My suggestion is bypass Beach Marina for fuel. I heard on the radio Fernandina had fuel at 3.53 a gallon so again, SKIP Beach Marina.
As far as the places we stayed, our first stop was Marineland and it is a great place for a stop over. Eric and Chris do a great job there. Favor the red markers when going in as the water is slightly deeper. I draw 4.9 and had no problems. Cocoa Village Marina is a very nice marina and there is plenty to do. Check out the British pub right near the Marina, great atmosphere. Also in Cocoa check out Normans raw bar, great food and great prices. Titusville Cit Marina is also a very nice place to stay but the town has hit hard times and not much to note outside of the Marina. There is a Sav-a-lot about 3/4 mile from the marina. Ft. Pierce was another nice marina but alot of empty storefronts. The two restaurants Cobb Island and the Original Tiki Bar was nice but an 18 dollar Maui-Maui sandwhich for lunch is just a little ridiculous. When I inquired about that the waitress said "There caught local, right out there so they are really fresh" I had a hard time not laughing at her. We never made it to Stuart they were booked up for New Years so Ft. Pierce accomadated us.
Another good asset to use was Active Captain. It does not get any better than that. I willbe adding my comments there also.
All in all it was pretty great and the 10 days spent with my parents was priceless.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom