Heading North on the ICW to NY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Hi all,

I started heading north from Ft. Pierce last Monday, in pouring rain and wind, but it only lasted for 7 days:banghead:,
then at 2 p.m. yesterday, the sun made its arrival in Savannah.

Today, still sunny and looks to stay so for a while.

Sort of miss the wind and waves, but not much. i'm sure i will see it again.

OK. 5 things:

1. You can follow my route on marinetraffic.com
Dauntless, MMSI 367571090
If anyone knows how to look up past days' tracks, I would like to know.

2. i actually keep a record of my tracks on "My Tracks" it gives me speed, milage and average speed and allows me to save each leg.

3. I'm looking for a place to pull over and grab dinner this afternoon/evening. Must be a place that I can tie to, run around, amybe buy afew things and even find southern bbq?? Looks like it will need to be between ICW mile 530 and 510.
Any ideas??

4. Should be about Myrtle Beach by Wednesday evening. My visitors will be taking Amtrack back to NY Thursday. Any suggestions as to where best to leave them to facilatate thier getting to Florence SC (I think most convenient) for Amtrak.

5. lastly, I wil then putter north alone about 50 miles per day, but am also looking for an inexpensive marina that does have easy access to the world to stay some days, do some stuff on the boat and maybe pickup a visitor or two from ny. Should probably be around Virginia, maryland area. Any ideas??

Sometimeon the way my best communication is thru my gmail account at wxman22

Thanks for your help.

Richard

You should be able to find most anything in Beaufort, SC. It is about mile 536 ICW. There is an anchorage just south of the marina, a conveniently located marina, and a town dock (I don't think they allow overnighting on the town dock). Many restaurants within walking distance.

Sorry, I'm no help for any of your questions.... but I'm looking forward to the trip.

Hi all,

1. You can follow my route on marinetraffic.com
Dauntless, MMSI 367571090
If anyone knows how to look up past days' tracks, I would like to know.

Richard

Here for the track for last 7 days: Google Maps APRS

You will have to plug the 7 days into the boxes on the right side.

Then go here: Station statistics for 367571090

Bottom graph will give speed info for a short period.

ICW 510-530 is a pretty desolate stretch, so follow the other poster's advice and stop in Beaufort. You may have to ask around to find a real BBQ place as I doubt that one exists in the tourist stretch near the dinghy dock. But I am sure one is there.

A good stop to exchange crew is Portsmouth. You can hang out for a few days at one of the free docks on the western shore of the ICW, noted as High Street Landing and North Landing on Active Captain.

David

Q on Bay, Bay St. Beaufort. Don't know how good, but they say they have pulled pork.

I was trying to avoid using dingy.
I've had enough adventure for the last 7 days.
Did I say that we spent 3 days only seeing 4 other boats underway??:dance:

This marina is a great place to stay. I think they still have a courtesy car for grocery shopping. Be sure to set up for the floating docks with your fenders on the waterline and your bow into the current. There can be a strong current running there. Have your lines ready if they put you inside the face dock, it can get tight in there.

http://www.downtownmarinabeaufort.com/

Here I am, half a world away watching you making your way up north in real time. I date from way before GPS etc. so I find it truly remarkable. :)

Dauntless,
You can anchor out and then in the morning come in and tie the mother ship up to the courtesy dock all day if you want. Pull off at night and drop the hook again. I agree that Beaufort, SC is your best bet in that stretch. As stated before the Portsmouth, VA is an excellent option for the next layover.

How pretty is the stretch between Mryle Beach and Wilminton??

Wxxx-I used to live in that area, it is not a real pretty cruise with some skinny water issues, especially around Shallotte and Lockwood Folly inlets. Most of the ICW is just behind the barrier islands, (Sunset Bch, Ocean Isle Bch, Holden Bch, Long Bch). Just north of Shallote, NC you go back into a ditch to Southport.

Thanks All,

Looks like salad, with egg and tuna tonight.
we want to make some miles, as we do need to be in Myrtle Beach Thursday.

Speaking of before gps, I used to have to type my forecast on a teletype tape. Make one mistake and whole thing had to be done over.

one night, it was a one line forecast, so i made up three at once, so I only had to insert the tape into the transmitter once, but would have to turn it off as soon as it broadcast one forecast. Then do the same thing three hours later for the next one.
But I forgot, so went six hours with no TAF for my station.
Nobody called, evidently they were not missed.

Richard

Excellent! Another trip to follow! :dance:

Yes, pictures please! Your admirers are a greedy lot!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom