Head height Island Gypsy 44

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim26400

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone can tell me what the head height is in the saloon of these? I’m 194cm 6’4” and have plenty of bumps on my head from past boats :)
Jim :)

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone can tell me what the head height is in the saloon of these? I’m 194cm 6’4” and have plenty of bumps on my head from past boats :)
Jim :)

Official heights are dangerous too as they may be in certain areas and not throughout. At your height, I'd definitely get real measurements. I have the same issue as I'm just slightly taller than you.

These people in Sydney have an aft cabin 44ft version for sale: Andrew Moore Marine - Boats for Sale Sydney.
You could send Andrew an email and ask,not sure you`ll get a reply but who knows. Or you might find someone local to ask. Or search for Island Gypsy on www.yachthub.com.au and check out the pics for indications. I`m 5ft 11'',my 36 has headroom everywhere.

Official heights are dangerous too as they may be in certain areas and not throughout. At your height, I'd definitely get real measurements.

Welcome Mate. +1 on his post.

You may get a measurement and believe it is okay for you. However once to step aboard you may be cracking your head in some parts of the vessel, (like on over head handrails or light and ect.) which mean more bumps on your head Mate.

You may want to find a vessel like it and see for yourself if that kind of vessel will work for you.

Cheers.

H.

Last edited:
Official heights are dangerous too as they may be in certain areas and not throughout. At your height, I'd definitely get real measurements.

Welcome Mate. +1 on his post.

You may get a measurement and believe it is okay for you. However once to step aboard you may be cracking your head in some parts of the vessel, (like on over head handrails or light and ect.) which mean more bumps on your head Mate.

You may want to find a vessel like it and see for yourself if that kind of vessel will work for you.

Cheers.

H.

Steps are another danger spot as you're rising higher with each step so sometimes they become a matter of timing. I hate those places that I hit only on occasion when I step just wrong. As you stated, any lights that stick down even an inch can turn an otherwise safe area dangerous. Then the stateroom, head, and worst potential place of all, the shower.

BandB brings up a good point on steps and as well on the shower. I am only 6'0" and have cracked my head a number of times in showers.:facepalm:

You poor Fellas over 6 foot need to wear helmets on some vessel!

Cheers.

H.

We looked at two IG 44s in the US. Both were delightfully commodious in the living spaces. Both had ample headroom for my 6'-3". Both were grossly overpowered if the thought of being parsimonious with fuel was a consideration (both were turbo diesels, one totaling 1100hp and the other 750hp.).

From what I've seen of the trawler world, all have adequate headroom. Some, like our '84 38' FuHwa sedan, are lacking in shoulder room and head height under doors heads (ours are pretty, but arched - round headed, so I have to center myself to avoid mussing my hair). I regularly hit my head at the aft sliding door; I'd like to think I'd learn... Boats of this size, and the IGs are remarkably poor in grovelling room in the ER.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom