Have you seen this captain around?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keb

Being fairly new to this forum I have read many tales of clueless boaters, etc and found this video quite amazing regarding the captains awareness of surroundings during traffic. Ouch.

http://youtu.be/BI4quuGz_zk

Kevin
Portland, OR

What a idiot, if someone did that to my boat I would be after them with a boat hook intending great bodily harm.

There but for the Grace of God go I

Greetings,
Someone DID do that to my boat while docked at Roland Martin's marina on Lake Okeechobee. About 06:00hrs. "someone-I suspect a commercial fisherman" roared right by towing a skiff which gouged about 12' of pain on the stb'd side of my hull. He was out of reading distance by the time I got to the aft deck. No staff around to report to and we left shortly thereafter. Forgot about it until about a month later when it was too late to complain.

Being fairly new to this forum I have read many tales of clueless boaters, etc and found this video quite amazing regarding the captains awareness of surroundings during traffic. Ouch.

http://youtu.be/BI4quuGz_zk

Kevin
Portland, OR

Yes, he is a TF member.

Maybe not that captain but 19 of his brothers and one sister in the last couple days heading south on the ICW between St Augustine and Titusville, Fl.

At least 20 out of the 30 or so larger vessels (trawlers, motoryachts and sailboats) that passed me were hogging my side of the channel (without proper whistle signals). Either that or they flat out forced me to run outside the channel or if too shallow, to pass gunnel to gunnel at 20 feet or so. For once the little guys and normally maligned groups were more courteous than the cruisers.

I am usually not too fussy about all that, it just seemed like a steady procession of the clueless or rude..

The one lady was dead ahead and only 100 yards away when I sounded 5 short....she barely moved and I missed a daymark by about 5 feet. She had the gall to radio I had plenty of room.

Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom