Old 05-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #61
Veteran Member

City: San Francisco Bay and Delta
Vessel Name: Happy Clown
Vessel Model: Heritage 45 Europa
Another factor: a pilot house means stairs up and stairs down where as a sedan style with helm off galley/saloon has but stairs (or ladder) down. Easier on the knees when ease on the knees matters. I bet I go through the boat, fore and aft, 15 times a day when busy.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #62
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Ok, my turn. So many of the positives given to a PH I experience in a hard top covered fly bridge enclosed with zipper opening Macralon. I have a partial wrap around couch, extra chair, all the electronics, seating or sleeping above the aft part of the couch. Now we are centered in southern California so its usually not freezing and only rarely frying. I love the view from up there. Great angle on the water. Guests can join. Then we have a sundeck, so I can be included in socializing there. We have a salon with a helm but it is almost never used except for the wine glasses stored below. Ok, it is a long way to the galley and head and engine room but I can make it in a heart beat when necessary. I admit I have never had a PH so no comparison here but I love what I have and you will love what you buy.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #63
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Pilothouse for the win here

Portuguese bridge, doors each side, big overhangs so well shaded in the tropics and the all important fridge.
A few short steps to a big bed and bathroom and a few steps more onto the back deck
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_15495692257701360~01.jpg   FB_IMG_15495691885748833~01.jpg   1505520322036.jpg  
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #64
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
We went with a pilothouse as my wife did not want to deal with a ladder for a flybridge. As we consider a larger boat we will be considering a raised pilothouse or possibly a flybridge with stairs.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #65
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Again, there are huge regional differences. Around here, most of the fly-bridges have been encased in an oxygen tent. While it does make them more comfortable given our cool and wet weather, in a way it kind of defeats the purpose. Additionally, I wouldn't want the additional windage way up high.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #66
Veteran Member

City: Isla Saboga
Vessel Name: Sunset
Vessel Model: Offshore 48 Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Again, there are huge regional differences. Around here, most of the fly-bridges have been encased in an oxygen tent. While it does make them more comfortable given our cool and wet weather, in a way it kind of defeats the purpose. Additionally, I wouldn't want the additional windage way up high.
In a certain sense, an enclosed flybridge is not a lot different than a raised pilothouse. It has protection from the weather and sun; offers great visibility, and usually has an area for guests to congregate and chat while under way.

We went back and forth between a DeFever RPH and the boat we finally bought, an Offshore 48 Yachtfisher The pilothouse was a huge plus on the DeFever, but the flybridge was a big negative, as it was small, un-enclosed, and you felt very isolated from everything else while up there. On the Offshore, however, the flybridge is large with lots of seating for guests; it's enclosed, and it is well integrated with the enclosed sun deck just 3 steps down.

One of the disadvantages of the enclosed flybridge is that you get a lot of visual distortion looking through Eisenglass versus real glass, and that makes me feel like I'm not seeing as well as I should.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:48 PM   #67

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Took long time to find but PH with port bridge, 3 zone heat AC and no canvas is way to go imo
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 PM   #68
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
We had a fully enclosed, Red Dot heated 1981 34' Mainship prior to Sandpiper. Could not see well from lower station so moved all electronics to the bridge and drove 100% from there.

The view was 360 degrees without much blockage, cool in the summer with curtains up.

However there is not much relief from the sun execpt when overhead. Unless you have a hardtop with overhang. Most clear plastic advertised as UV protected is referring to not having the plastic turn brown and crack from sun exposure.

Long ways to head, food, engine room.

Unless the enclosure is covered, taken down in the off season, or you are lucky enough to have covered moorage, significant capitol will be required to maintain the enclosure. Back when we had the enclosure, it cost $100 per panel when the panel turned brown or cracked in extreme freezing and wind. That was in the late 80's - 90's. I was replacing three out of the 12 total panels per year on top.

Pilothouse annual maintenance is 0.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:11 AM   #69
Guru

City: Seattle
I think this thread should have been “To have or not to have a flybridge”

We’re talking about trawlers and long distance cruisers for the most part here, not sport fishers or ski boats.

To make my point another way, if you had to choose only ONE, would it be the PH or the FB?
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:26 AM   #70
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by saboga View Post
One of the disadvantages of the enclosed flybridge is that you get a lot of visual distortion looking through Eisenglass versus real glass, and that makes me feel like I'm not seeing as well as I should.
You can maybe fix, or at least improve, that... by switching to a semi-rigid clear (Makrolon, Lexan, EZ2CY, etc.) for your front panels. Open by pninning to the underside of hardtop or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
I think this thread should have been “To have or not to have a flybridge”

To make my point another way, if you had to choose only ONE, would it be the PH or the FB?

Flybridge.

But I wouldn't mind a lower station too.

-Chris
Old 05-22-2019, 05:43 AM   #71
FF
Guru

"Took long time to find but PH with port bridge, 3 zone heat AC and no canvas is way to go imo"

Helps recreation too if the only Teak is a salad bowl.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #72
Veteran Member

City: Echo Bay
Vessel Name: The Lady "K"
Vessel Model: Custom Steel Trawler 48'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
I think the pilot house is a lonely place...

We have 3 stations- flybridge, salon, and starboard stern. I drive from the flybridge 95% of the time. A PH with a day bunk and double doors would be nice...
I have a full 5 steps up to a pilot house
and I love it. Set the auto. and have a short
Nap on the wheel house settee and have a short nap. Refreshing. Giver-ER.
Capt Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:09 AM   #73
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
A deck-level "raised" pilothouse makes single-handling easier than descending stairs/ladders.
Attached Thumbnails
leaving berth.jpg   coot with sails.JPG  
Old 05-26-2019, 06:40 AM   #74
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Extra visibility from extra height is priceless when cruising in adventure land. (-;
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #75
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
So many choices. To my way of thinking, comparing a part of the boat vs the entire vessel only tells a part of the story.

My wish list involves good visibility, side doors to deck, side doors to dock, big ER, large master, washer and dryer, two heads, voluminous storage, boat deck, safe flat working area around anchor, covered side decks, private sleeping spaces for minimally 4 guests, outdoor seating for many, large lazarette and no teak decks. The list of boats that encompass these minimal needs does not include a PH under 45 feet.

The above requirements opens the door for Grand Banks, Hatteras, many different sun deck models and sedans. So many choices beyond what we may own.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:55 AM   #76
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
My vote = Pilothouse. Hands down. (for us).

Loving that wheelhouse!
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #77
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Loving that wheelhouse!
The N62's ER, not so much.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #78
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I could argue that a pilot house really doesn't work well on boats much less than 50 feet. But I'll never have a boat bigger than 50 feet, just no need.

But, I generally don't like them anyway. Waste of space.

IF, I really want to see, the flybridge beats the PH all to pieces, with clear 360 views and you can enclose it and heat or cool it if you need.

I like the lower salon area open... no walls between the galley, salon, PH with the only exception of the stateroom and the head.

A PH set up like the bigger Navigators is great, completely open and still have a pilot house. That would work. But still restricted visibility.

On my little Mainship, we operate from the flybridge 90% of the time, and can congregate there and have great visibility and open the enclosures for fresh air, which we usually do.

If the weather is nasty, my lower helm still has 360d view, heat and ac and all the amenities I need, plus folks can congegate down there, too.

Lots of choices.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:26 AM   #79
Veteran Member

City: Pentwater
I've really enjoyed reading everyone's opinions. Thanks! We are currently evaluating a Symbol 45 which checks off pretty much all of our boxes. It has a flybridge and a PH with access to the flybridge through the PH so no ladders! I am really looking forward to seeing it in person because as we all know the pictures don't tell the story!
Julsburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #80
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julsburd View Post
I've really enjoyed reading everyone's opinions. Thanks! We are currently evaluating a Symbol 45 which checks off pretty much all of our boxes. It has a flybridge and a PH with access to the flybridge through the PH so no ladders! I am really looking forward to seeing it in person because as we all know the pictures don't tell the story!
Beautiful boat, well appointed. Not knowing where the boat is located, I did look at the pics of the boat located in NY. I do hope that is the boat you are about to view.
Alas, no price listed.....That part scares me. CHUCKLE