Have a favorite knots book?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mncruiser

Vessel Name
Phoenix
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Looking for suggestions, my son (7) is showing interest and I’ve realized I have one or two knots I’m good at, and pretty horrible at the rest!

Thanks!

+1 for animated knots .com
Much easier to learn than from a couple of pictures.

Ted

++ Another vote for animated knots - it's where I always start.
I bet he will like the animation... he may be helping you learn in short order !
Only once have I had to look further - splicing 8 plait to anchor chain took some digging.

Yup. Animated Knots
You'll find it at Animated Knots By Grog in the App Store. i use the app as a reference often

I like Knots for Boaters by Brion Toss, apparently now under the Chapman's brand.
Not just how to tie, but how to use.

"Klutz Book of Knots" By John Cassidy

Nothing fancy. 24 hitches, ties, wraps and knots.

Ashley book of knots
Bayview,

I have a copy of the Ashley Book of knots - it has every knot ever tied and some that are more macramé than knots - the go to book - the encyclopedia of knots - but a smidge too much for a 7 year old methinks:blush: ie it has 620 pages covering 3854 knots

I have been boating - sailing and power for about 40years now and when I think about it, the most useful knot to me now is the bowline with the round turn and two half hitches second. Make sure whatever you get your 7 year old at least has these two.

Merry Christmas

My favourite knots books are used ones. I have purchased two from two different used book stores. People often haven't read the books they donate and you have bought from a used book store. This rule is really true with knot books, most are unread.

Hit your local quality used book store.

Blue Jackets Manual, US NAVY, 1945 - if you can find one. (a few other subjects as well). As a seven year old, I couldn't put it down!!

Online, check out the app Knots 3D.
I think Animated Knots by Grog is an excellent source BUT IMHO Knots 3D is better, much better. Need to read the instructions to maximize your experience.
Yes, I know it isn't a book.

I bought my partner a knots book. After a quick look, it was replaced with youtube search results. Does a great splice.

"Klutz Book of Knots" By John Cassidy

Nothing fancy. 24 hitches, ties, wraps and knots.

Absolutely. For a 7 y.o. Got color-coded cords and pages perforated to guide the action.

Tested with both my kids; thanks for reminding me to get a pair for the grandsons

Absolutely. For a 7 y.o. Got color-coded cords and pages perforated to guide the action.

Tested with both my kids; thanks for reminding me to get a pair for the grandsons

Oh goodie, LOL, I have progressed all the way up to a 7 year old.
I have discovered and accepted, if I cant do it with a bowline, I need to rethink the project. SMILE

Last edited:
Oh goodie, LOL, I have progressed all the way up to a 7 year old.
I have discovered and accepted, if I cant do it with a bowline, I need to rethink the project. SMILE

Exactly! The bowline is my only reliable, can do it without thinking knot. What’s funny is that’s the first knot my dad taught me on the sailboat! The rest are sketchy.

I’ll teach the bowline first. I have to admit many have been impressed with my bowline tying speed, but nobody has asked to learn it. Except for the interested in everything 7 year old!

He also has started making dock lines for his LEGO boats, I gutted 550 cord and he uses the small strands for his lines.

It’s fun growing future boaters!

When I think about it, if I have to splice 2 lines, 2 bowlines will do very nicely until I take it to a guy who knows how to splice. Yup, I pay him for it.
Now, if you have lines that do not have the ends whipped, shame on you.
I had a boat next to me, un-whipped lines. He'd leave the boat for a week or two. When he came back, he discovered one or two more lines had whipped ends.
(innocent look)

Bowline hands down is my most useful knot. Turns and half hitches next. The rolling hitch is useful as well.

My vote for the most useless knot is the spliced loop because it is too restrictive. It relegates nice general piece of rope to dock line duty.

Books???? They still make books?

animatedknots.com on the ipad.

Online, check out the app Knots 3D.
I think Animated Knots by Grog is an excellent source BUT IMHO Knots 3D is better, much better. Need to read the instructions to maximize your experience.
Yes, I know it isn't a book.

I like it too. And Knots 3D is a free app.

Back
Top Bottom