Old 11-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Guru

Hauling to bottom paint - What else should I be doing

I'm hauling my boat next week to bottom paint, replace the stbd rudder log, replace 2 thru hull valves, replace zincs, wax the hull, and re-pitch the props.*

* Anyone have suggestions on anything else I should consider doing while the boat is on the hard
* Any suggestion on a web site that describes the process of preparing the bottom for painting.

Thanks guys and gals.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
RE: Hauling to bottom paint - What else should I be doing

Curious. Why are you having the props repitched.

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

you already note that you are replacing two through hull valves but I'd take a look at all the rest.* We had two we knew we wanted to replace based on how corroded they were*on the inside.**Once the boat was hauled we saw more that looked BAD.* One was so clogged there was barely a pin hole in the middle of it.*

hope everything goes well for you!
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -

You might want to check your bonding system for continuity while the boat is out of the water. When it's in the water the water will connect the through-hulls so you might not be able to tell if the bonding to any one of them is intact. We're going to have this done on our next haulout which should be in December if I can ever get a break in my work schedule to do it.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Lube all the thru-hull valves.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

Curious. Why are you having the props repitched.

SD
The engines turn 2750 rpm at WOT and should be turning 2900-3000. Over proping is the #1 reason for early engine failure.*

Marin wrote:

You might want to check your bonding system for continuity while the boat is out of the water. When it's in the water the water will connect the through-hulls so you might not be able to tell if the bonding to any one of them is intact.

Good idea, but how would I do this??? Damage due to*electrolysis is why I'm replacing the rudder log.

Pineapple Girl wrote:

you already note that you are replacing two through hull valves but I'd take a look at all the rest.

Good point and I will. The valves are being replace due to a broken stem that connects the handle to the valve. I close all my thru hull valves when the boat is not being used so they are exercised frequently, probably why the stems broke!

-- Edited by timjet on Wednesday 10th of November 2010 06:56:38 PM

-- Edited by timjet on Wednesday 10th of November 2010 07:08:50 PM
Old 11-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Guru

This statement was on the deficiency report of my survey when I bought the boat last May:
The belly of the hull is covered with dime to quarter size blisters, 90% are along the starboard belly of the hull. Note: These blisters do not appear to be structural.
Recommend: Having a competent person inspect and repair all blisters as needed at some point in time to prevent further possible damage from osmosis.

Anyone care to comment on the process necessary to repair this.
Thanks
Old 11-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

Quote:
timjet wrote:

Marin wrote:

You might want to check your bonding system for continuity while the boat is out of the water. When it's in the water the water will connect the through-hulls so you might not be able to tell if the bonding to any one of them is intact.

Good idea, but how would I do this???

We're going to have the electrical shop we use do it, but I assume it involves checking the continuity with a meter and real long leads*between every through-hull, the rudders if they're metal, the zincs, the props, etc.** If your boat's throughhulls are plastic then they won't be connected to the boat's bonding system, of course.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 10th of November 2010 07:11:52 PM
Old 11-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
timjet wrote:

This statement was on the deficiency report of my survey when I bought the boat last May:
The belly of the hull is covered with dime to quarter size blisters, 90% are along the starboard belly of the hull. Note: These blisters do not appear to be structural.
Recommend: Having a competent person inspect and repair all blisters as needed at some point in time to prevent further possible damage from osmosis.

Thanks
I had a blistering problem.* My marina manager called in a few experts.* Some said to dry and patch the area, then paint, one quoted $6,000 to re-gelcoat the entire underwater surface.

I called the surveyor who surveyd the boat when I bought it two years previous.* He had noticed some blistering and noted it.* He suggested having the blisters filled and painted but taking photographs before and after, then checking at the next haulout to see if the problem is getting worse.

I did what he suggested.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
timjet wrote:

Thanks
Yes... Save your money. If they are only cosmetic, they won't sink your boat. My hull is COVERED with blisters and unless I win the lottery, I won't repair them (that is unless they get worse... and it's unlikely they will). To repair it, they will plane off the top layers of gelcoat and recoat... Then, when they put it back in the water... the blisters could STILL come back.

There are a lot of opinions on both side of this issue, but unless you have a lot of spare coin or there is a buyer who's broker is giving them skewed advice. I'd just let them be, monitor them over the next years, and spend that money somewhere else.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Check the cutless bearings

I had the gel coat peel and re finish on a previous boat, I can tell you it is a long, expensive and drawn out proceedure, best avoided unless really needed.
Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Gonzo,
I don't agree w your see no evil attitude about blisters.
I grind down to the fibers on my hull wherever I see weeping or anything else that looks blister-like. Typically my "grinds" are about 3/32" to 1/8" deep and 1/2" wide and 5/8" long. I try to dry the work but weather usually dosn't allow much drying. Then I mix some epoxy (thickened) and cut a small brush short (for stifness) and coat all the "grinds" w one or two coats as thick as I can get them. Then I sand the slick surface of the cured epoxy quite well (for adheasion) and apply anti-fouling paint. I have no blisters that are "raised" (bumps) anymore**** ...just seeps. Most often small amounts of dark watery fluid leaks out of very small holes (less than 1/16" dia(most less than 1/32")). I think, Gonzo, that it's worth the effort to wage a little war and try to limit the water ingression into the hull. Two photos show the "grinds" on the port side and the nice smooth surface when done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sth71246.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	3430   Click image for larger version

Name:	sth71261.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	3431  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #13
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Would you be willing to pay someone over $200/ft. to do that? Would you be willing to do that many, many 100's of times just for cosmetic blisters? If one starts to look evil, I'll tackle it.

Sure... If it were just a few or if I had owned the boat from the start and stayed on top of the effort, maybe. But like I said, blisters don't sink boats, but they'll quickly sink a bank account. It's not that I wouldn't LOVE to have a nice flat bottom, it's just not a good cost versus benefit investment. IMHO

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Wednesday 10th of November 2010 08:11:26 PM
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
Guru

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Steve, about the cutlass bearings of which I have 2 on each shaft, can you really inspect them without taking the shaft out?

I'll post pictures when I get the boat out early next week of the blisters and get your opinions.

Thanks again folks.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

Regarding cutless bearings, what you're looking for is if they are moving out of their struts. For example if you see that a cutless bearing (rubber bushing if you will) has slipped backwards or forwards and part of it is hanging outside the bearing holder that is a failure in the process of happening. The cure is to pull the shaft and replace the bearing, making sure the alignment of the strut and shaft is correct and is not the cause of the bearing creeping out of the strut.

If a cutless bearing has worn to the point where the shaft has "wiggle" room where it runs through the bearing that's another indication that the bearing needs replacing.

If when the boat is out of the water the bearings are all properly in place and tight around their shafts they should be fine. There is no need that I can think of that you need to pull a shaft just to inspect the bearings.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 10th of November 2010 10:59:43 PM
Old 11-11-2010, 04:08 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:Would you be willing to pay someone over $200/ft. to do that? Would you be willing to do that many, many 100's of times just for cosmetic blisters? If one starts to look evil, I'll tackle it.

Sure... If it were just a few or if I had owned the boat from the start and stayed on top of the effort, maybe. But like I said, blisters don't sink boats, but they'll quickly sink a bank account. It's not that I wouldn't LOVE to have a nice flat bottom, it's just not a good cost versus benefit investment. IMHO

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Wednesday 10th of November 2010 08:11:26 PM
I am totally with you on this one Gonzo.* Every time my boat has been antifouled, they comment on it having quite a few small blisters, and we check then, photograph them, and they have never changed from one year to the next over the 8 yrs we've been doing this, so we just sand and antifoul over them and leave well alone.* The fellow who surveyed her noted them and said in all his long years in the business he had never heard of reported or personally knew of any vessel that sank because of a bit of pox, but he knew of many who has spent thousands getting done a job which probably affected the seaworthiness of the vessel not one iota.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #17
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Timjet,
like Marin said they yard I go to will take a look at the bearing holder then give the prop a goog shake side to side and up and down to see if there is some slop. So far they have pronounced them OK. If I remember correctly the surveyor did the same thing when I bought the boat, only about 2500 hours on her now, I believe the bearings last quite a bit longer ( I hope so)
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #18
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
timjet wrote:

The engines turn 2750 rpm at WOT and should be turning 2900-3000. Over proping is the #1 reason for early engine failure.*
According to many articals I have read the first thing you should check before having the props repitched is the back pressure on the exhaust.
This is often the cause for a boat not reaching WOT.

There is also issues such the load and how*clean the bottom is.

If the*props were properly pitched when new.* Why is there an issue now?*

It could be issues other than what you are indicating.
I don't knowbut if you have them re pitched and the issue was high back pressure what would the re pitching do to the engine?

Food for thought.

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #19
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Gonzo

Blisters sink the resale value of boats. As a prospective buyer, it is common to mark down the offer price by the amount to refinish the hull. Further, as a buyer, I'd also feel that a hull left to its blistering may speak poorly for the owner's attention in other areas. Eric's restorative techniques are neither expensive or time consuming.

Ralph Yost's boat on this forum had a* peel job a few years ago, maybe he could weigh in on the subject.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #20
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Two or three years before selling, I did a blister repair on my last sailboat. Same technique as Eric uses. the purchaser's surveyor told me the blisters had been "properly repaired". Cost me one two part pack of cold cure epoxy and a couple of hours work to fix maybe 3 dozen blisters. Each was 1/2 inch to 1.5 inch diameter. some leaked tea when ground into, some didn't.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote