Old 01-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Hatteras 48LRC/58YF bridge access?

Can somebody mention whether flying bridge access on these (or similar Hatteras models) is only via the cockpit ladder?

Or is there also an internal stairway -- that I don't seem to be able to find pictured anywhere -- to the flying bridge? Or...?

Realize this would be an easy question on the Hatteras forum, but I hesitate to join over there just for one small question...

-Chris

Old 01-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #2
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Can somebody mention whether flying bridge access on these (or similar Hatteras models) is only via the cockpit ladder?

Or is there also an internal stairway -- that I don't seem to be able to find pictured anywhere -- to the flying bridge? Or...?

Realize this would be an easy question on the Hatteras forum, but I hesitate to join over there just for one small question...

-Chris
The 48LRC is external only. The steps are a little bit narrow in my opinion.

Richard

Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
48lrc

The 48 LRC has two sets of four steps just outside the pilot house doors to access the boat deck. There are two steps up to the upper bridge from the boat deck. There is a ladder from the cockpit to the upper boat deck The 58 yachtfisher has a ladder aft of the lower helm separated bulkhead and by a door to the lower helm.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Several Hatteras MY models have a ladder to the FB from the pilot house. The 61 comes to mind for instance. If you go to the Hatteras Owners Forum, there is a section with the brochures on virtually all the vintage Hatts. And the membership is helpful on questions on almost all models.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
Guru

Thanks, folks. I've not been in any hurry to go larger, but I do occasionally get a wild hair... so I was just wondering if this one was worth pursuing. You probably can't tell from my avatar, but when we got this one, we were shopping for a flying bridge with stairs... and a boat attached. A few other features, too, of course, but I'm just not going to do ladders anymore.

-Chris
Old 01-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #6

City: Tokyo, Japan / Tampa, Florida / Washington, Virginia
Vessel Name: Mondai Nai
Vessel Model: Nordhaven 55 - 45
Send a message via Skype™ to IntervaleII
The 48 has exterior stairs on both sides. Wide and a protected way to the flybridge, there is also a ladder located in the cockpit to the boat deck. You can go on yacht world and look at the 48 LRC located in Virginia Beach, they have a lot of pictures.
IntervaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
It's not that big a project to modify to create stairs, particulalry the wider, 18'2" beam Hatts. This was a big selling point for us and for the new owners of our boat:

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
George
That's a ladder in your picture!
Real stairs have treads much wider, with treads being wider than the height of the riser.

Pic is of my FB stairs. With 9" treads and 8.5" risers they are fairly steep, but still OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB Stairs sml.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	36063  
Old 06-04-2015, 07:06 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Several Hatteras MY models have a ladder to the FB from the pilot house. The 61 comes to mind for instance. If you go to the Hatteras Owners Forum, there is a section with the brochures on virtually all the vintage Hatts. And the membership is helpful on questions on almost all models.

Revisiting this, if I may, please... I did check out those brochures; very interesting.

There's what looks to be a '77-'80 58' CPMY in the marina next door, and from a casual drive-by (by dinghy) it looks like there must be stairs leading from the pilot house to the flying bridge? And there is no direct (ladder) access from cockpit to flying bridge.

(This is actually the boat the spurred my original question... but I'd thought at the time that it was a YF model. Our recent dinghy ride suggested otherwise.)

I don't recognize anything in the brochure that clarifies... and it doesn't look like there are any listed for sale on Yachtworld...

I'd guess these would be DD powered, yes? Various 71s or 92s?

-Chris