Old 02-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #1

City: baltimore
Hatteras 48' and 58' L.R.C.'s

I previously owned a Hatteras 53' M.Y. Presently have a 44' Nauticat Motor Sailor that has been extensively refitted. Using it in the Chesapeake Bay but sometimes dream of crossing the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean. Have always admired the 48/58 L.R.C.'s. I notice that there are many more 58's for sale than 48's and the price spread is not that much. People ask 250 for a 48 and only 300/325 for a 58. Having owned a 53', I am not intimidated by the size of a 58. Which is better for offshore work. Run at the right speed, either one can cross the oceans. Is it the 32 volt system on the 58. I have never been on a 58 and the 48 I was on seemed a bit tiny. Also, there was no space in the engine room. They both have the same engines other than some 58 have the 671's which seems not too important. I would love to go onto a 58. I hope that some folks will give me some insights. Maybe the 58 is a dog ? In that case, the 48 seems way overpriced to me. The 53 Hatteras engines just killed me on fuel and maintenance so that is not an option. Maybe the 58 is too much boat with the painting/leaks/limited slip availability ? My 44' Nauticat burns 3 gallons at 8 knots so who knows what is best. Looking for HONEST comments from knowledgeable shipmates. Michael 410-913-2330
hatteras53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Welcome!

Only you can decide what's too small for you, and asking prices are negotiable, frequently starting higher than they should. I'm biased, but those boats have great reputations, usually deserved, but that's only one consideration among many others in determining a boat's value. Take a fresh look at both models to see which meets your requirements and then focus the search to determine what you think is a fair price.

Good luck in your search!
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Hatteras yachts and their LRCs have a great reputation, a strong market following and therefore strong resale value.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Are they 32V or 24V? Has anyone here known anyone to cross an ocean in a Hatteras LRC? Ironically, today, no Hatteras has the range except the 105 does if you run it at 600 RPM and 7.5 knots.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #6

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
You’ll get a lot of very knowledgeable input on the Hatteras Owners Forum, www.samsmarine.com.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #7
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Are they 32V or 24V? Has anyone here known anyone to cross an ocean in a Hatteras LRC? Ironically, today, no Hatteras has the range except the 105 does if you run it at 600 RPM and 7.5 knots.
I've been in a 58 that had 24V, 32V and 48V and a 65 that had 12V and 32V. They had all of the volts

Don't know about the 48s but the 58/65 carry 2200/2700 gallons and run either 4-71s or 6-71s. They are often described as live-aboards with trans-Atlantic range and I understand from another site or two it's been done but often eitger hearsay or second-hand reports. Of course, given most were launched in the 1970s and Hatteras is basically out of the LRC business they don't enjoy the marketing proof points of Nordhavn, Selene or other proven passagemakers.

I would however imagine a Pacific crossing would be another matter entirely.

As we consider upgrading the 58 and 65 LRCs are high on our list. Walk-in, standup engine room, rear master, three or four staterooms forward, etc.

Can you tell I'm an admirer?
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:52 PM   #8

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
A couple of months ago I looked at a 58 LRC in Vancouver. The 58 is quite imposing from the outside. Total LOA is around 63-65'. The walk-in engine room is wonderful - roomy, full headroom for 6'4". All equipment is easy to access. The small main engines are almost lost in there. The rest of the interior is not as spacious as one would expect partially due to the walk-around side decks. They are bullet proof but at 45 years of age it is all about condition and the previous owners upkeep.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:58 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
If you go over to the Hatteras Owners Forum, there is a member with the screen name "Skooch"who has a home port at Whorton's Creek; Dave Stahl is a heckuva a nice guy.
300k is cheap for a 58, they are typically in the 400's when in good condition.

I've been on multiples of all flavors of LRC, including two of the rare 65. The 58 is the best all around LRC, the 42 is my favorite but not an oceanic passage maker. At least one 58 has circumnavigated. For our personal purposes, which did not entail ocean crossings, we liked the layout of the 56MY was much better, again for US.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:58 PM   #10

City: Kiln,MS
I was doing a bit of research on the 48's range. I found a site that had a good article on the 48 including range info. Interestingly enough the guy tested it on a single screw with one prop removed. His numbers came up with 3500nm range at 6.9nt. That got me thinking about automatic feathering props. Max props states you would loose 4% efficiency over a STD prop.

See link below.

https://www.hatteraslrc.com/Fleet/fleet1.htm
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I was on a tour of a Hatt 60ish in Pittsburg at an early TF Rendezvous that had 24V, 32V and 48V. It was a huge leap up from my humble 12V/Propane boat. My head was swirling, trying to take it all in...kinda like drinking from a firehose. What impressed me the most was the dining room table with 6 chairs!

A few years later, I enjoyed the company of a Hatt 60 stuck on my bow like a pickle on a fork during the Blue Angels show at Fleet Week in SFO. It was an 'interesting' encounter, to say the least.

TF member Scary had a Hatt 48 that was a great, seaworthy vessel. We enjoyed many CA Delta anchorages, stories, beers, dink rides (and a grounding). I loved the flow of that boat. As the song goes, "It has everything I want...and nothing that I don't."

So, in a way, I guess I've enjoyed a couple varied perspectives on the Hatt 48-60s in my relatively brief trawler life. I've loved many of the minutes...except for the pickle.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:11 PM   #12
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
If you go over to the Hatteras Owners Forum, there is a member with the screen name "Skooch"who has a home port at Whorton's Creek; Dave Stahl is a heckuva a nice guy.
300k is cheap for a 58, they are typically in the 400's when in good condition.

I've been on multiples of all flavors of LRC, including two of the rare 65. The 58 is the best all around LRC, the 42 is my favorite but not an oceanic passage maker. At least one 58 has circumnavigated. For our personal purposes, which did not entail ocean crossings, we liked the layout of the 56MY was much better, again for US.
We had Hatts on both sides of us under the covered shed at Worton last year. One was a 53 (visible in my avatar), which was being lovingly restored but may have left by now for South Carolina. The other, I believe, was a 58 that needed cosmetic attention (at a minimum).
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatteras53 View Post
Maybe the 58 is too much boat with the painting/leaks/limited slip availability ? My 44' Nauticat burns 3 gallons at 8 knots so who knows what is best. Looking for HONEST comments from knowledgeable shipmates. Michael 410-913-2330
Welcome!

I have always been a Hatteras fan, since working for a dealer and crewing on a 70. The LRCs have been favorites of mine, though I have not had the chance to get to intimately know or run them. I have fantasized about a cherry 48 or 58, but the age of the systems (40 years), windows, and paint all scare me. We don’t entertain enough for a 58, but it’s my favorite. I suspect most of these classics have great bones, but you could be into some substantial capital for a refit to make one worthy of an ocean crossing. Perhaps if used as a coastal cruiser you could spread out the projects and costs. I shudder to think about the cost to paint a 58, rebuild older stabilizers, or to replace hoses on four heads.

There was a big thread on this forum about a 48 LRC refit, if I recall correctly.

Best Wishes
Old 02-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I was on a tour of a Hatt 60ish in Pittsburg at an early TF Rendezvous that had 24V, 32V and 48V. It was a huge leap up from my humble 12V/Propane boat. My head was swirling, trying to take it all in...kinda like drinking from a firehose. What impressed me the most was the dining room table with 6 chairs!

A few years later, I enjoyed the company of a Hatt 60 stuck on my bow like a pickle on a fork during the Blue Angels show at Fleet Week in SFO. It was an 'interesting' encounter, to say the least.

TF member Scary had a Hatt 48 that was a great, seaworthy vessel. We enjoyed many CA Delta anchorages, stories, beers, dink rides (and a grounding). I loved the flow of that boat. As the song goes, "It has everything I want...and nothing that I don't."

So, in a way, I guess I've enjoyed a couple varied perspectives on the Hatt 48-60s in my relatively brief trawler life. I've loved many of the minutes...except for the pickle.
Funny story, Steve bought his 48 LRC because I turned him on to the Hatteras LRC’s after falling in love with them. His former boat was a Bayliner 4788 and he wanted something with more offshore capability.

He bought the only decent shape 48 LRC on the west coast, about a year before I was ready to move up in size. I drooled over his boat but needed a bit more time and he was ready willing and able.

I still love the 48 LRC’s and could come within spitting distance of trading my boat for one, but with all the time and energy I put into my 4788 I just do not want to go through it again, not for my coastal cruising plans.

Great boats they are!!! I think they could do a pacific crossing, or come close. Perhaps there might be the need to have a fuel bladder.

The Hatteras LRC’s were cruising the worlds oceans before Nordhavn was even a dream.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:26 PM   #15
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
https://www.hatteraslrc.com/
Old 02-13-2019, 07:31 AM   #16
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatteras53 View Post
Is it the 32 volt system on the 58.

They both have the same engines other than some 58 have the 671's which seems not too important. I would love to go onto a 58. I hope that some folks will give me some insights. Maybe the 58 is a dog ? ... The 53 Hatteras engines just killed me on fuel and maintenance so that is not an option.

I just read elsewhere that Hatteras changed from 32V systems in either 1987 or after 1987, one of those.

What were your 53 engines... that made them potentially more expensive than the engines in 58s? Can't imagine it being less expensive to run a 58 compared to a 53... aside from operator technique (hull speed or below versus semi-planing).

-Chris
Old 02-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #17
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
The 53 usually came with 8v71s though IIRC some later versions had 6v92's. They're more costly because they are designed to get the boat up on plane and cruise in the teens. Not so costly if you run hull speed or less, which is what I'd say the majority of owners do.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Funny story, Steve bought his 48 LRC because I turned him on to the Hatteras LRC’s after falling in love with them. His former boat was a Bayliner 4788 and he wanted something with more offshore capability.

He bought the only decent shape 48 LRC on the west coast, about a year before I was ready to move up in size. I drooled over his boat but needed a bit more time and he was ready willing and able.

I still love the 48 LRC’s and could come within spitting distance of trading my boat for one, but with all the time and energy I put into my 4788 I just do not want to go through it again, not for my coastal cruising plans.

Great boats they are!!! I think they could do a pacific crossing, or come close. Perhaps there might be the need to have a fuel bladder.

The Hatteras LRC’s were cruising the worlds oceans before Nordhavn was even a dream.
Steve sold that Hatt 48 LRC last year. I was operating in the SF Bay when the new owner was moving west in the Bay toward Sausalito to stage for a weather window to go out the Golden Gate. I saw him on the AIS and hailed him. We had a brief radio exchange and he was so excited to have that boat.

Sadly, due to personal circumstances, cruising that LRC far and wide was a dashed dream for Steve. Aside from the trip down the coast after purchase, she remained in the Bay and Delta where he and his family thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was great to see the dream fulfillment for the new owner begin.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #19
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
A friend of mine had a 48 LRC. Probably one of the biggest 48s around in terms interior space and looking massive at the dock for its size. It had Detroit 453s and was a great cruising platform for him. I would have bought one of these if our orientation wasn't fishing in Alaska. Our Hatt convertible is a better choice for that but I run it like a trawler, at displacement speeds.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #20
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
All these boats are getting quite old these days and the 58 LRC is a significant jump up in size from the 48. We looked at a couple of 58 LRCs before buying our motoryacht and I don’t recall them being any more roomy than our comparison boats. They also all had soft decks in one place or another and most systems were worn out or very close to being so. Since so few were made and survive today, there is not much choice out there except tired out boats and very expensive/overpriced Bristol condition boats that are not often available on YachtWorld.

Unless you absolutely must cross oceans on your own bottom, I’d look at motor yachts in your size and price range: there are far more to choose from in all sorts of condition for much less money than the Bluewater power cruisers. You can ship most any boat most anywhere for $30k to $40k, compare that to the expense and wear and tear of running there on your own bottom. Not mention the added acquisition cost.......
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote