Hatteras 48' and 58' L.R.C.'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 48' engines would be the hardest to work on.

The 53' has the 871ti's which are easier to get to 3/4 times more expensive.

The 58' has the easiest by far to work on.

That's why I would consider the 58' BUT overall it is probably twice as expensive to own as the 48'

Everything is very tight on the 48'.

Having owned a 53' I was spoiled.

Our 44' Nauticat motor sailor is fine too.

Guess we will just stay with it since the 58' would PROBABLY just bury me with all it's costs.

Wish there was a reasonable priced 48' !

What about the 48 LRC in South Carolina on YW?

I've been in a 58 that had 24V, 32V and 48V and a 65 that had 12V and 32V. They had all of the volts ;)

Don't know about the 48s but the 58/65 carry 2200/2700 gallons and run either 4-71s or 6-71s.

I had 6 crazy voltages (12-24-32-48-120-240) in my 65' Burger with twin 6-71N's. Very weird. I always thought it would be nice to rip out the electrical system and do a complete rebuild.

Assuming the displacements are about the same, I think twin 4-71's would be ideal as the twin 6's were a bit overpowered for slow 8 knot cruising.

I recall Hatteras had those strange split engine rooms with the walk-through between the cabins. Do these 48/53 LRCs have one ER or the split ones?

They have single engine rooms. I absolutely loved the stand-up walk-in, split rooms on my 56MY. Having 18'2" beam didn't hurt either. The 53My is still pretty nice ERs even with 2 ft less beam.

What about the 48 LRC in South Carolina on YW?

Thank you Marty for the response !

The 48' L.R.C. in South Carolina it not good.

It has no stabilizers, both generators are gone and/or junk, etc.

Someone else has previously comment here on it.

He said it was total false advertising in the listing/photos.

I don't think it would be a good buy unless at a much lower price.

Tried once to contact the broker and do that and he was very silent.

When a salesman is silent, I really begin to wonder.

Don't need another huge money pit.

We paid only 70 K for our 44' Nauticat but have put in another 80 K.

Don't think that any of these 48' can be reasonably bought.

The wife just worries that our 44' might be too much for me to handle.

Am 67 but in good health.

Having owned a 53' Hatteras, a 48' would not be hard to handle.

And of course the 46' Nordvan is way too much money.

Even the 42' Kadey Krogen is pricey.

Our 44' has had almost a complete refit.

Guess I will be just a gentleman sailor.

Sail once in a while and motor a lot.

We could sell our 44' for 150 K and end up with 130.

The 48' goes for the low 200's so that puts us cash short of 100 K.

It's only 100 K.................L.O.L. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I got a really good boat so why not be GRATEFUL.

IIRC there was a fellow in Australia that had either a 60-some foot Cheoy Lee or Hatteras LRC and he made some great videos taking the boat a thousand miles or so into the South Pacific. And I *think* those videoes were posted on this forum. Anyone else remember that? (And what kind of boat it was?)

IIRC there was a fellow in Australia that had either a 60-some foot Cheoy Lee or Hatteras LRC and he made some great videos taking the boat a thousand miles or so into the South Pacific. And I *think* those videoes were posted on this forum. Anyone else remember that? (And what kind of boat it was?)

Hey Moonfish,

I almost bought a 46' Cheoy Lee but it had a ton of problems. Love the 3 staterooms and stand up engine room. Another one was recently for sale but it too had many issues. No stabilizers either. Only 1 currently listed at 250 K. Way too high ! For me, it has a much better layout than the 48' Hatteras L.R.C.
Maybe one will come available someday that is in good shape at a fair price. I would be willing to buy it almost anywhere it is located. The 46' reminds me of a 58' in miniature. My 44' Nauticat is a pretty nice motor sailor too. Michael 410-913-2330

I had 6 crazy voltages (12-24-32-48-120-240) in my 65' Burger with twin 6-71N's. Very weird. I always thought it would be nice to rip out the electrical system and do a complete rebuild.

Assuming the displacements are about the same, I think twin 4-71's would be ideal as the twin 6's were a bit overpowered for slow 8 knot cruising.

I recall Hatteras had those strange split engine rooms with the walk-through between the cabins. Do these 48/53 LRCs have one ER or the split ones?

I agree, the 4-71s are ideal. Also well regarded and relatively inexpensively rebuildable.

The 58/65 LRCs have a single, mid ship, walk-in engine room accessible from a hallway off the aft master. You may be thinking of the 53/58+ CPMY with the center hallway below deck. Those have split ERs.

Hey Moonfish,

I almost bought a 46' Cheoy Lee but it had a ton of problems. Love the 3 staterooms and stand up engine room. Another one was recently for sale but it too had many issues. No stabilizers either. Only 1 currently listed at 250 K. Way too high ! For me, it has a much better layout than the 48' Hatteras L.R.C.
Maybe one will come available someday that is in good shape at a fair price. I would be willing to buy it almost anywhere it is located. The 46' reminds me of a 58' in miniature. My 44' Nauticat is a pretty nice motor sailor too. Michael 410-913-2330

That's kind of a coincidence. It just so happens the Nauticat 44 is my favorite of the Nauticat line. I even like it more than the N52. In fact, if we ever go back to sail/motorsail, the N44 would be near the top of my list.

Sadly Nauticat declared bankruptcy about 6 months ago. There is a very nice N42 for sale on my dock in Sidney BC. In true Finnish style it has an onboard sauna.

Yes shipmates, I too was so very sad to learn that Nauticat had gone bankrupt.This was a true business with many family members involved. We too had a very small family business for almost 100 years so I feel their pain. I too prefer the 44' over the 52'. The 52' draws over 7' feet with 71' mast, etc. And no side doors or full keel. Seems as if many buyers today want the modern look.I'll take my old 44' or an old 46' Cheoy Lee/Defever any day ! Maybe someone will start up the Nauticat Co. !!!!!!!!!!! Michael

"Seems as if many buyers today want the modern look"

My guess would be few new buyers want or need the ability to ocean transit or Voyage , so don't want to pay for ability..

Their guests are more impressed with the big TV.

I am impressed by a big tv, especially since my eyes are not what they used to be! Right now we are watching Expedition Unknown on the 45” tv in our salon via satellite.

Not everyone who lives on a boat wants to “get away from it all”, and we have no real desire to live a life disconnected from contemporary amenities. If moving aboard meant we had to live the lives of monks in ascetic cells, cut off from the outside world, we would have done something else in our retirement.

And relatively few will actually cross oceans on their bluewater cruisers anyway although kudos to those who do. Our Hatteras is essentially a houseboat albeit one that can easily cross to the Bahamas.......and there’s nothing wrong with that.

I am impressed by a big tv, especially since my eyes are not what they used to be! Right now we are watching Expedition Unknown on the 45” tv in our salon via satellite.

Not everyone who lives on a boat wants to “get away from it all”, and we have no real desire to live a life disconnected from contemporary amenities. If moving aboard meant we had to live the lives of monks in ascetic cells, cut off from the outside world, we would have done something else in our retirement.

And relatively few will actually cross oceans on their bluewater cruisers anyway although kudos to those who do. Our Hatteras is essentially a houseboat albeit one that can easily cross to the Bahamas.......and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Well said!

Back when we were cruising the so pac the people that seemed to the happiest and really enjoying themselves were the ones that had more of the things they were used to prior to cruising . Ice, water, decent space, refrigeration really make life better. The only things that have changed since then are the need to communicate at the drop of the hat and the internet.

For the most part the folks that " roughed it" were fairly unhappy.

Personally I would like to be able to disconnect for awhile .. but we have become so accustomed to be able to do a quick search when we need info ( like when the water pump goes belly up or whatever ) that it would no doubt be difficult.

HOLLYWOOD

Wifey B: I fully respect those looking for peaceful escape from all worldly distractions and everything electronic and all communications. I can't understand them though anymore than they can us. Computers, televisions, phones, internet, emails. It's the energy from all these that run through our veins, that feeds us. We're retired, but not from the world and we still have interests in our extended family, in our businesses, in projects we've started. We read hundreds of emails every night and can't imagine being cut off. We're always reachable. Plus we keep up with the news of the world and we love sports so we watch sports year round. It's all these things that some run far away from that allow us to go far away and never feel cut off. You take them away and that's exactly how we'd feel, cut off, like someone had cut our arms off or something.

We don't dislike, don't fear the technology. We've thrived in a period in which it's been growing every year of our lives. It enriches our lives. It keeps us in touch. :thumb::D

We each have to find what works for us. I just suggest no one allow the enthusiasm or passion or others for a specific way to lead them to that path. Listen to all and then decide what is right for your life at this time and place. Don't copy me, because I'm a child of this information age, but don't copy those who reject it all either. Find your way. :)

Back when we were cruising the so pac the people that seemed to the happiest and really enjoying themselves were the ones that had more of the things they were used to prior to cruising... For the most part the folks that " roughed it" were fairly unhappy.

What do you consider "roughing it" in reference to these people? Are we talking about not having pressure hot/cold water for decent showers? Or was it refrigeration, etc.? Those are the primary things I think of that would ruin it for me.

Bought a Hat 58 LRC

A couple of months ago I looked at a 58 LRC in Vancouver. The 58 is quite imposing from the outside. Total LOA is around 63-65'. The walk-in engine room is wonderful - roomy, full headroom for 6'4". All equipment is easy to access. The small main engines are almost lost in there. The rest of the interior is not as spacious as one would expect partially due to the walk-around side decks. They are bullet proof but at 45 years of age it is all about condition and the previous owners upkeep.
Just bought that boat, I believe. We criss-crossed the US looking at 8 different 58 LRCs over the past 3 years (call me if you want my thoughts on any of them). Wife and I are dreaming of passagemaking after I retire (2.5 years and counting). Anyone with Hat passagemaking experience, especially Hat 58 LRC experience I'd be grateful to chat with you.

Welcome and congratulations! We looked seriously at that 58 LRC as well and loved it. If the timing was different we would have made an offer. I know, I know, the one that got away!

I've been following (but not yet visiting) many of the others. I've talked to other 58 LRC owners who have seen many of the East Coast boats. Some sound OK, others seem to be full-on dock queens and one or two sounded like complete basket cases. One was reported to have an engine (starter) fire during the sea trial and another had rat droppings throughout the ER. It seems surprisingly hard to find a well loved 58 LRC and you definitely found one.

I hope to meet up someday to pick your brain. We're in Seattle but our daughter starts at WWU this Fall so we'll be in Bellingham regularly. We're in a 40 PH trawler now but easily see a 58 LRC in our future (if there are any as good as yours left by then). I suspect our "boat lists" overlap considerably given the reasons you mentioned for selecting yours.

Again, welcome!

Welcome and congratulations! We looked seriously at that 58 LRC as well and loved it. If the timing was different we would have made an offer. I know, I know, the one that got away!

I've been following (but not yet visiting) many of the others. I've talked to other 58 LRC owners who have seen many of the East Coast boats. Some sound OK, others seem to be full-on dock queens and one or two sounded like complete basket cases. One was reported to have an engine (starter) fire during the sea trial and another had rat droppings throughout the ER. It seems surprisingly hard to find a well loved 58 LRC and you definitely found one.

I hope to meet up someday to pick your brain. We're in Seattle but our daughter starts at WWU this Fall so we'll be in Bellingham regularly. We're in a 40 PH trawler now but easily see a 58 LRC in our future (if there are any as good as yours left by then). I suspect our "boat lists" overlap considerably given the reasons you mentioned for selecting yours.

Again, welcome!

Thanks, and I'd love to get together. Any time you're up here gimme a call. 360-714-7172. Neil

Again, I will encourage engaging in the Hatteras Owners Forum and its offshoot, the LRC club. For new owners, contact the sponsor of the forum, Sam's Marine and give them your hull number; they are a wealth of information. One thing I'll also repeat is the commonality of so many construction elements and components across the entire Hatteras line regardless of MY, Convertible, or LRC.

Again, I will encourage engaging in the Hatteras Owners Forum and its offshoot, the LRC club. For new owners, contact the sponsor of the forum, Sam's Marine and give them your hull number; they are a wealth of information. One thing I'll also repeat is the commonality of so many construction elements and components across the entire Hatteras line regardless of MY, Convertible, or LRC.

Great advice, thx. I'm already there.

Juliet 15,

Congratulations on the new boat. I admired her listing but never saw her in- person.

Please consider sticking around here. Many of us would enjoy sharing your experience.

Will you be bringing the boat to WA?

Thx for the encouragement. I’ll stick around for sure. I’m bringing her down here to WA from BC (70 min drive by car) sometime around the 20th of March. As always, a lot of things I want to do to her. Our plan is to spend the next 2 years getting to know her, cruise The San Juan’s, Canada, and AK, and if we still feel the pull head south for the big trip. We figure we’ve got 10 to 15 years before we need to swallow the anchor. Are you in WA?

A couple of months ago I looked at a 58 LRC in Vancouver. The 58 is quite imposing from the outside. Total LOA is around 63-65'..

Really?
Surely it would be better selling as a 63-65 as usually, more length is more $$.
Rare if not unheard of talk size down.

Last edited:
Really?
Surely it would be better selling as a 63-65 as usually, more length is more $$.
Rare if not unheard of talk size down.

Hatteras was honest in its length designations; they didn't count the pulpit and swim platform. Our 56MY was almost 61' LOA.

Hatteras sold their boats by waterline length, our 63 is 70 feet from tip of bow to back edge of the swim platform. Having a larger model number (70 vs 63) would not change the appeal to a serious buyer and has saved us money whenever we pay to dock by the foot, unless they get smart and charge by the OAL.

Hatteras sold their boats by waterline length, our 63 is 70 feet from tip of bow to back edge of the swim platform. Having a larger model number (70 vs 63) would not change the appeal to a serious buyer and has saved us money whenever we pay to dock by the foot, unless they get smart and charge by the OAL.

No, they sold by deck length, not waterline. And not truly deck as they used model numbers which sometimes varied a foot or two from the deck length. Waterline length would be even less.

Some other builders do the same. I know our Sunseeker Manhattan 65 was the same boat as the Manhattan 63, just the galley moved. However, both had LOA of 69'1". I personally think counting the platform and pulpit in model names is misrepresentative. One of the worst of those is Beneteau. Sizes of swim platforms and bow pulpits vary tremendously but do nothing toward the space or performance of the boat.

Now, here, marinas do charge by LOA and some of them even measure themselves. LOA is also what goes on documentation.

Hi Juliet I hope the new boat is working well for you. I am interested in the 58’s. There is a 1977 the Maggie B did you view or have an inspection on that vessel.
Regards
Paul

Back
Top Bottom