Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Has anybody been following the hurricane that hit Cabo last week

There hasn't been much press about the devastation caused by this record setting hurricane. A friend of mine just returned from a time share vacation. It took 5 day's to get evacuated. He said the looting of stores by locals was unbelievable. Lines at the destroyed airport stretched over 2 miles in the sun waiting to board military planes to get out. I don't know how much he exaggerated, but he said the locals were pulling down racking at the Walmart and Home Depot and haul off everything in sight. Neighborhoods were being patrolled by locals with machetes, no electrical power or water. Complete blackness at night. There must be several hundreds of private and commercial sport fishing boats, not to mention cruising yachts that moor Cabo and La Paz. The storm hit as far north as Santa Rosalia, pretty much all of the cruising areas in Baha.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I wonder how many places on the US East Coast if they were totally leveled would come back or be bought up as national seashore as the infrastructure replacement would be prohibitive?

I would guess the cruising would be either unbelieveable unrestrictive or behind yellow tape and gunboats depending on what was left.

Hard to imagine yet not all that impossible.

I have no idea what it is like to cruise that peninsula...but beautifl cruising grounds without some infrastructure can be a mixed blessing.

Sorry...obviously have sympathy for anyone affected....goes without saying...just commenting on any natural disaster's future effects.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
La Paz was hit hard with at least 20 vessels sunk or overturned. Some deaths reported with a British diving instructor and his girlfriend on their 70 footer drowned. Cabo San Lucas suffered big time.

Further north near Santa Rosalia two management employees of a mining company were swept and away and lost.

Flooding occurred as far north as Las Vegas due to the storm with I15 washed away and closed near the AZ border.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I heard the boats in Cabo left for Puerto Vallarta ahead of the storm. That's the word here in Los Angeles. The devastation on land was huge and the rebuilding will last years. Cabo won't be a good destination this fall, just a stop over.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
All the while, the east coast has only experienced 5 named storms. I can not remember so few storms by 22 September in my 60+ years. Of course the weather can change at any time but peak season has come and gone.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Guru

City: Georgia
Natural disasters bring out the worst in some people, but the best in many others. Depending on how fast the place gets back to their level of normal is a function of the good folks doing more than the bad folks. Repair and rebuild takes time, and the more remote the location the longer it takes. And that part, there's one road in and one road out. Airport will help when it gets open.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
All the while, the east coast has only experienced 5 named storms. I can not remember so few storms by 22 September in my 60+ years. Of course the weather can change at any time but peak season has come and gone.
Hold your breath...it's only just past...

And for us up the coast...it is the peak season still as Sandy showed us.
Attached Thumbnails
peakofseason_sm.gif  
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
News, what news, the nightly pharmaceutical commercials that come on at 6:30? That news?
One would think the NFL was the only thing happening in the world, along with ISIS (same ole same ole since Istan!) Local channels devoted a good 30 seconds on Mexico evacuations because some locals filmed it on their phones and it was easy. It seems that the media has let go all its investigative reporters, and just troll Facebook for stories, which they lift intact, or play prepared press releases. It's how a NY company can make plans to totally devastate south Florida with their planned use of railroad tracks, yet it seems nobody in Miam or Ft. Lauderdale is aware.
The FEC railroad bridge in Jacksonville was stuck in the down position, blocking the river for the past week, and not a word was mentioned other than on Facebook.
Sad, the farming of the sheeple.
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote