Old 08-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #1

City: Dallas
General docking question

In the marina setup with a fairway running vertically and slips to port and starboard perpendicular to the fairway, how wide (in relation to the slip length) should the fairway be to allow for proper maneuvering?

Example, slips to both port and starboard are 35' long, and have floating concrete fingers between them (no piers/piling). How wide should the fairway be, at a minimum? 1.5x slip length? 2x slip length?

Thx
FutureLooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The wider the better.

Or whatever the marina gives you .. sells you.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #3

Let me rephrase; what is the narrowest fairway you would be comfortable navigating, as compared to your vessel's length?
Old 08-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #4

And to further specify, single screw no thrusters.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureLooper View Post
In the marina setup with a fairway running vertically and slips to port and starboard perpendicular to the fairway, how wide (in relation to the slip length) should the fairway be to allow for proper maneuvering?

Example, slips to both port and starboard are 35' long, and have floating concrete fingers between them (no piers/piling). How wide should the fairway be, at a minimum? 1.5x slip length? 2x slip length?
Guideline is 1.75 X slip length (or longest boat if marina allows overhang)
Some states such as CA may use a standard for new construction. In practice fairway widths are all over the place. More slips = more income.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I have docked in marinas with a 1.5 to more than a 2.0 ratio of fairway width to slip length plus overhang. With a crosswind, a single engine and no bow thruster, it is very, very difficult to turn into or back out of a 1.5 ratio fairway.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Let me rephrase; what is the narrowest fairway you would be comfortable navigating, as compared to your vessel's length?
With no wind or current you should be able to turn your boat in a 360 circle in it's own length. Wheel hard over in direction opposite prop walk. small applications of fwd/reverse/fwd/reverse etc will walk you around.

There aren't many days with no wind or current so each day will result in a different diameter. Keep the fenders out and a boat hook handy. As mentioned in a prior post, some days it's impossible.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #8

Thanks. I found out this spring that my marina put a new dock behind ours, and I've had a hell of a time getting into and out of the slip all year. Measured the fairway this weekend and its 1.75 boat length.
And of course, the wind is always blowing in Texas.
Even with the bow into the wind its been a crap shoot
Old 08-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
In Australia, the minimum design standard is 1.5 X the longest boat length using the fairway and the preferred is 1.75.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Sometimes you will only get 5 to 15 feet in a fairway of 40 foot slips.

With little wind or current it is doable, especially if you are good with spring lines.

More than a knot of current or 10 knots of wind and I would wait or try to get another slip assignment....yet it can be done.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #11
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
AusCan,
"Standard"?
Whose standard would that be?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
AusCan,
"Standard"?
Whose standard would that be?
Australian Standard 3962-2001

Here's a copy.
https://hamiltonislandproperty.files...of_marinas.pdf
Old 08-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Australian Standard 3962-2001

Here's a copy.
https://hamiltonislandproperty.files...of_marinas.pdf
Interesting,I was unaware of that. Good idea.
Normally any facility predating the AS does not have to comply. Many marinas expand after first construction, leading to varying spaces between fingers, the newer section could even be more spacious.
I find Akuna Bay Marina on the Hawkesbury tight, most of it predates the AS.
A marina tighter than you are used to definitely has you working harder than usual. And that`s on top of unfamiliar marina conditions.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #14
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Here is a hooker in the fairway measurements. Stalls are assigned by boat length with a 10% overhang allowance. What is not included are the boaters who have a O/B on the swim step in the 'Out of Water' position. With these extended lengths protruding into the waterway, one has an additional issue to deal with. I am not aware of any harbor in Southeast Alaska that takes issue with this intrusion of overall measurements. I make it here only as a point of discussion. Dealing with it is yet another piece of docking puzzle challenges.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #15
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
n my case I would say it is 1.5 the size of the dock but without measurement. In calm condition it is fine to get in and out ( I am going bow first ). With wind it may be a bit more challenging. It is a bit more challenging now that put a big cruiser on my starboard (43 feet) that is like 10 feet longer than the dock. When the wind blows and push me back toward this boat I have to make my maneuver quicker not to be out of my way.

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
2xboat length? 1.5x? unheard of! In our Yacht club marina, we are lucky to get much above 1.0x slip length, so if you have a boat that is shorter than the slip, you will do alright, but if you have a boat that is the full slip length, be very careful.
My own shelter is 55 ft long. I need 51 ft to clear my dinghy on davits at the stern and my pulpit and anchor at the bow. I might have a full 55 ft clearance to the boat side tied behind me, but occasionally a visiting boat is in there, so if the visitor is a bit wider than the regular occupant, so goes any extra room.
Backing out usually involves swinging the pulpit past the piling at the end of my shelter with 6" to a foot clearance, in order to be sure I don't nudge the boat behind with my dinghy. Coming in is less of an issue, as I can enter the shelter at a bit of an angle and by the time I straighten out, I am well clear of the boat behind me.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:09 PM   #17
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
n my caseIt is a bit more challenging now that put a big cruiser on my starboard (43 feet) that is like 10 feet longer than the dock. When the wind blows and push me back toward this boat I have to make my maneuver quicker not to be out of my way.

L.
Yep, You are not alone fellow boater, many of us share this picture.that is a common issue, a larger (More expensive-damage cost wise) boat as a neighbor. One of the precautions I have taken ( a subject of another recent thread-bumpers} is too lay out two of the large orange buoy ball float markers on the side exposed to this craft. Having this situation requires me to power into the slip head on carefully prepared to throw into reverse just as the bow makes contact with the float (protected by horizontal fastened bumper)then allowing the boat to idle against the float while I secure in a temporary move.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:16 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:

In perfect conditions, one boat length would give me enough space to exit and enter my comfortably.

Perfect conditions are rare, though. There are always days when wind, current and overhanging boats make a 2 boat length fairway a real challenge to negotiate.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:34 AM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: I've seen some from like barely more than the slip size but I'd never rent one of those. I think 1.5 would be absolute minimum acceptable and 1.75 to 2.0 far better. My concern isn't just me getting in and out but getting bashed by all the others who have trouble when it's windy or something.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:41 AM   #20
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I've seen some from like barely more than the slip size but I'd never rent one of those. I think 1.5 would be absolute minimum acceptable and 1.75 to 2.0 far better. My concern isn't just me getting in and out but getting bashed by all the others who have trouble when it's windy or something.
Exactly! Times when one watches with baited breath, another boater making an approach under conditions that find you saying under your breath, 'Glad it isn't me!'. A request for a different berth due to the issue mentioned in an earlier post on this thread regarding O/Bs in the raised position in a narrow fairway netted my a berth on the next finger that abutted to the next size limit which gave me a wider back door. Took a while on the 'wait' list but worth the time.

Al-Ketchikan