Hardtop verses Canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a couple must haves when recently shopping for our current boat: Aft stateroom with a good sized bed, dinette off of the galley, comfortable sun deck, fishing cockpit, and swim platform.

On the want list was updated electronics, good canvas, hardtop, bow thruster. Ok, got the hard top, good canvas and put in the thruster. The mid 1990's Raymarine electronics are still functional but their replacements are on my long term wish list.

Our hardtop keeps us fully enclosed, warm and dry with the associated canvas. When we start to warm up, I open some canvas and we get solid airflow. I have sliding side canvas panels that open up quite a bit and also for and aft "windows". I can't think of any days that I was sorry I had canvas all around as long as we were underway. Ok, even if we weren't underway. If this boat did not come with surround canvas, I would have put it in. I think our hardtop which was an add on by a previous owner, is rather heavy. At least it looks that way. I have crawled on top with no deflection. When we rock at anchor, the top does creak a little in one spot. I think it looks really good.

Hardtop

We put a Hard to Top on our boat in '14 or '15.

Didn't cost $8K, fits under 17' bridges, we are on the Loop and did the Champlain Canal.

Can remove if necessary and can use your current (1"bimini tubes) bikini structure.

Any question, get in touch.

Picture with post but could send more if I could figure out how in this forum.

BTW, total DIY if you are handy.

I swapped my canvas top on a Mainship Pilot 30ii for a hardtop fabricated by a local Alabama company. Company is not in business anymore so the name doesn't matter. The top was cored, about 1.5 to 2" thick and could easily support walking on it. No regrets on the installation, best upgrade to the boat that I could have done. I was moving from US south to Sweden and with expectation of lots of rain and weather (proven correct), the weatherproof top was so much better than the canvas. Also the design made the interior space under the top feel a lot bigger. A big added benefit was we could carry a Walker Bay 8 dinghy on the top and as the boat is pretty low profile we could throw the WB on the top without much effort. Also with some lights installed in the hardtop to light up the cabin area that area felt more usable. A wire chase to mount the gsp antennae and anchor light the hartop was super practical. As far as value to the boat I don't think it added much, if any but it improved the functionality of the boat so much that I'm really glad we did it. Cost at the time (2010) was about $12k.

My refit includes a hard top. 3/4 inch divinylcell with four layers of glass over and under, plus a 3" rim around edge. I also wanted a lot of camber so center is higher than outboard edges to reduce bulkiness of appearance. I wanted plenty of structure to carry weight of a person to install solar, and also wanted front edge to be rounded to follow contour of flybridge. About 7' x 11' with surface mount underside lights, cabling to radar, running lights, and solar, plus stainless support uprights. About $8k in Mexico painted to match rest of boat.

Had a friend build mine...aluminium powder coated $3500...really added to living space and very little wind resistance...open the windows to reduce high wind action and let it blow through

Attachments

• 48E621D4-85A6-4CBB-A3C8-C459E1F56712.jpg
    48E621D4-85A6-4CBB-A3C8-C459E1F56712.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 28
  • 53AC777F-D8DE-454C-8815-3E8D66B04593.jpg
    53AC777F-D8DE-454C-8815-3E8D66B04593.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 23
Mine would be a big one 10x19 and a few I did reach out to said that is to big for them

Attachments

• A3D62330-E112-4290-8CD6-D3275BC9D9E8.jpg
    A3D62330-E112-4290-8CD6-D3275BC9D9E8.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 15
Leave half the deck open as I did...gives you a sundeck

We need as much shade as we can get here in Florida

I do like the look of it, aluminum must be nice

Had a hard top made of 0.032 aluminum skins with baked on paint with 3" foam between. This was a standard cover made for room additions in Fl. The edges were epoxy/glassed to give rounded edges. We had a 15,000 Btu RV air conditioner on top, for those hot days at anchor or no wind. Worked very well. The support system was mostly made of the SS frame from a prior Bimini top along with a few cross braces. This withstood several cat 3 hurricanes. Canvas was attached with aluminum awning rails under the top. Canvas was removed during storms.

Do some canvas at the back then...leaves you the option

I think only two reasons I wouldn't go to hardtop. First is if you have an issue with air draft. Second is if you use your boat a lot without the top.

We've faced the issue on air draft and had to be very careful on our loop boat. We never use the flybridge without a top though due to concerns over the effect of the sun on people.

As to height, I'm 6' 4 1/2" barefoot and just under 6'6" with shoes. That drives our height but then we limited it by needing bridge clearance. If air draft wasn't an issue I'd want 7' height.

Back
Top Bottom