Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Per
Guru

Cool Happy Summer Cruising every one...

I hope everyone is getting out there on their favorite spot and enjoying the water.
I finally bit the bullet and had my generator replaced, got a refurb NL 5.0 KW.
This past weekend we went to the Island (Catalina) got on a mooring and really enjoyed everything boating has to offer.

Here is a photo of our boat out there, taken early evening from the pier at The Isthmus.

Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Well, six weeks out of commission beginning in June due to propeller shaft issue. Now in the middle of having a three-week period for several day trips until a two-week visit via public transportation to Germany beginning in August. Then take the boat to the yard for bottom painting and other maintenance. And then beginning in September to fulfill boat-trip promises to friends and acquaintances. Another summer mostly not boating. Good thing the boating season here is 12 months long.

Winter boating here:

Old 07-24-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per View Post
Here is a photo of our boat out there, taken early evening from the pier at The Isthmus.
Hey, what are all those creatures out on the...... oh, they're other boats. Bummer.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
Master and Commander

I suppose it depends on whether you like close company.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:58 AM   #5
Master and Commander

While alone, still "in the middle of it all."

Old 07-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
Guru

Attitude Adjustment has been underway since June 18th. Down LI Sound, up the Hudson River, Erie Canal, Oswego Canal, across Lake Ontario, Trent-Severn waterway, and currently in the Georgian Bay.
We have met so many new friends, the Canadians have been awesome, and the scenery gets better every day.
In a few weeks we will turn around and return home basically on the same route stopping in some of the places we missed.
Mystic,Ct
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Per
Guru

The Island of Catalina have many anchorages for those who seek solitude and tranquility.
We prefer to be on a mooring where we can go ashore, buy a meal or an icecream.
It is not full commando but it is also far from marina life style, though many people have come there for generations and have some serious social hours.
The Isthmus is also called Two Harbors, on the other side of the Island is Catalina Harbor, a natural Harbour where many who seek to be further away from other mankind will moor or anchor. There are the most spectacular views.
Here is a photo of the pregnant lady. Last year there was a bald eagles nest on the lady's head or hair...
Old 07-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

Not bad. When do they put the trees out?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Not bad. When do they put the trees out?

"Many a true word is said in jest" .

Very funny

Sd
Old 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
Season in NJ is half shot-- Being half shot myself I been known to go Overboard!!!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #11

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Attitude Adjustment has been underway since June 18th. Down LI Sound, up the Hudson River, Erie Canal, Oswego Canal, across Lake Ontario, Trent-Severn waterway, and currently in the Georgian Bay.
We have met so many new friends, the Canadians have been awesome, and the scenery gets better every day.
In a few weeks we will turn around and return home basically on the same route stopping in some of the places we missed.
On your way back through Lake Ontario... on the US side of the lake, you might want to stop at Point Breeze... we are docked there at Lake Breeze Marina. You can then stop in at Rochester - the Yacht Club is a great place to stop and then an easy leg the next day to Oswego.
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
Per
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Season in NJ is half shot-- Being half shot myself I been known to go Overboard!!!
that is exactly what i do first day on vacation when the boat is safe in the mooring, and always from the flybridge...

here is a tree for Marin, a real Catalina tree...
Old 07-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per View Post

here is a tree for Marin, a real Catalina tree...
Hmmm.... looks like one of those designer trees they sell in the shops on Rodeo Drive. What about trees like these? They got any of them out there? I know they do in northern California but I wonder if they meet emissions and safety requirements for southern California.

Attachment 12100

Attachment 12101
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Looks great, Per! Glad to hear you bit the bullet and solved your genset woes. Wish I was within range of Catalina. Love that place!

Might be in LGB next week. I'll PM you.

They might have lots of trees in the PNW, but apparently water under your boat is optional. No thanks!

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

They might have lots of trees in the PNW, but apparently water under your boat is optional. No thanks!
That's pretty funny coming from someone who boats in a place where, according to what everyone down there posts about it, the average depth is 6 inches and running aground is an every-fifteen-minute occurance.

When I took the photo below the depth sounder was reading just a few feet shy of 1,000 feet. Granted a lot of water goes away up here a couple of times a day. But then it all comes right back again so no worries.

Attachment 12102
Old 07-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
Per
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Looks great, Per! Glad to hear you bit the bullet and solved your genset woes. Wish I was within range of Catalina. Love that place!

Might be in LGB next week. I'll PM you.

sounds good, i got plenty cold ones onboard.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
Per
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
What about trees like these? They got any of them out there?

Attachment 12100

Attachment 12101
no trees like that but we looked around
here we are at the USC Wrigley Ocean Science Campus, the helipad is serving the hyper-barometric chamber used to treat divers from all over California and N. Mecico.

(btw that eagle looks so cold it grew fur....)
Old 07-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #18
Per
Guru

here are some "boats" we went by on our way through the LA and LB ports, on our way to fuel before heading to the Island.
It was a beautiful summer morning.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I guess if you're boating where the tides are that extreme, you need to time your trips and your slip access around low tides. That's 4 times a day of no access to your slip in a marina like this. No thanks.

While I'm here, I'll enjoy the warm waters and great climate of California with its year round boating and fishing.

For Marin, the waters and the boating environment are absolutely terrible down here. Even though you were named after California's Marin County, stay where you are. Your namesake is doing just fine without you.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

Never heard of a marina up here yet with slip access limited by the tides. although I suppose there may be a few little ones like that. That aerial photo is more or less worthless for determining the actual depth of the water. I've spent decades looking down on this area from the plane, including places where we regularly boat, and docks can look like they're aground at low tide even though they aren't. I don't know where that photo was taken but it may well be there's only three or four feet at low tide under the innermost dock but that's probably enough to float the boats there. Our 30,000 pound GB draws 4 feet even though we operate it as though it draws six.

California. Ha. I could not be paid enough to live in California. Any of it, north or south. Or even visit. The only places I have been in the US that I find more boring geographically than the SFO bay area and SoCal are Kansas and west Texas. Every time one of you guys puts up photos of your "cruising" on the bay or off the SoCal coast I thank my departed mother for having had the good sense to get out of the place when the getting was good. Of course, she could have done a hell of a lot better than Hawaii, but at least it wasn't California. So no worries, it's all yours down there.

PS I was not named after the county although it proved handy since nobody (including me) had any problems remembering my name.