Old 05-30-2016, 01:16 AM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle
The happiest day of a boat owners life?

Just sold my 20ft CC, but unlike with previous boats, today was NOT a happy day. When I was cleaning it out last night I felt depressed. Parked it at the curb and walked solemnly back home.

This morning as it was hitched to the new guy's truck I walked back and found myself saying outloud "Goodbye girl, we shared alot of happy times together" as I patted her. To make matters worse, he likes the boat's name "Mako" and won't change it .

Weird. I suppose the difference is that I did not grow tired of her. Have to sell her because of upcoming job issues, plus eventually there will be a nice, new trawler to replace her!
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:23 AM   #2
FF
Guru

The day he buys his boat,

The day he sells his boat

Are the tw happiest days .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:07 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Never sold something that I didn't want to get rid of. Have had seller's remorse much later. Sorry for your loss!

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I've never experienced joy in parting with a boat.

I have with a car, but simply because I'd tired of that particular car. 1997 SAAB 900 Convertible, purchased new, traded in 2004. It was actually a great car and all the things I hoped it would be when I bought it. However, it was a SAAB and that just lacked any real appeal. When I got married in 2001, my wife got a Miata and it was just so much more a fun car, just had style where the SAAB had none.

The SAAB was the one time I overthought, outsmarted all other car buyers, went for real quality over perceived and style. Went outside the box. Regretted it almost from day one. It drove well, never had any problems, and yet I could never become enamored with it or attached to it.

Only boat I've really missed was our Cobalt 30' Bowrider we had on the lake in NC and parted with when we moved to FL. It was just an incredible boat, but it made sense there on the lake and not on the coast of FL.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
You hear that expression all the time (two happiest days are days bought and sold) but when we sold the Carver it was kind of sad. That was our first big(ger) boat, our first boat too big to trailer, which is a very different kind of boat ownership. We learned a lot on the old boat, it was a great teaching boat. We got rid of a ton of the previous owner's stuff (maybe literally a ton come to think of it) and really gave that boat a second life. I had 130 items on the to-do list eventually and got almost all of them done before we sold it. That was a good boat, good bones.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I sold a whaler and couldn't wait to get it gone. My 28 hydrasport was hard to watch pull away. I didn't use it enough. Had to piss or get off the pot with my lugger
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
We sold our San Juan 23, and it was a very sad day indeed. We loved Pondweed.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Ok, one was sentimental to me. The boat he owned when we met, the first boat we had. It was a 25' Cobalt. However, it was sort of made ok by the fact we were just getting a bigger one of the same brand, a 30' Cobalt. And then it was the first we bought together.

Then when we moved to the coast it was bye bye to it. I can't separate the emotion of the boat and the emotion of leaving our home on the lake. We had zip zero nada no hesitancy at all in doing so and love the move, but still there are so many memories on the lake. We have when we've returned to the area rented a boat and gotten out a couple of times. The memories are all still with us though. But to us that represents a stage or phase of our lives, not just a boat. Now in our third sta of life together. The phase before we were together we both try to forget. Life has been so wonderful since then though.

I'd think mostly in parting with a boat, it's not the boat, but the memories of that period of your life.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #9

City: Hendersonville, NC
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
When I sold my C-Dory that had taken me anywhere I wanted to go under any conditions (although it might have been uncomfortable, it was always safe) I know the feeling. But sometimes it's time to move on.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:26 PM   #10

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
same year ago we sold our damaged OA 66 was very sad day we spend 8 years on it with your 2 kids leaving onboard full time (one of my kid came onboard 48 hours after he born) so you can imagine all souvenirs we had on this boat, was really member of your family.
Now since 7 months we on the new boat Terranova 85 slowly by slowly we adopt him but still not the same form previous boat, I think we need time...
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Bremerton WA
Vessel Name: Athena
Vessel Model: 41 Roughwater
Just let my 21 Bayrunner go to a good new owner. Had a lot off good times in her and will miss her. But I no there will be more good times to come in my new boat. that's the way it go's
Russ Borman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:37 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle
Yep, I agree with what Russ Borman says, except I would use the word "know" instead of "no"

But like my wife said to me last night, we'll miss it but are excited to move on to a new adventure!
Attached Thumbnails
Make driving away... goodbye!.jpg  
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:11 AM   #13
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I do not keep long term lasting emotions toward material objects. Do have good time[s] with/in/on/around them and fond memories after item is gone. BTW... I do make love to them and take care of them while in possession. But, once they're gone... they're gone! Just that quickly I completely wash my hands and mind/emotions regarding them!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:24 AM   #14
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Congratulations and condolences on your sale. I know the feeling. I just sold for similar reasons. While I'm pleased with how quickly she sold, and the cash sure looks nice in the ol' bank account, I already miss being a boater. Especially this time of year. I'm on the water for work, and I still see all the other boats out enjoying the weather, and I miss it.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #15

City: Fayetteville, NC
Vessel Name: Dirty Deeds
Vessel Model: Maritimo 48
I overheard the shopworn phrase in the barbershop yesterday- a guy saying how happy he was to buy his boat, and how happy he was to get rid of it.

If you really feel that way, you're not a boater at heart. Boats are expensive to buy and expensive to keep. Big boats even more so. The maintenance is never-ending and the learning curve is steep.

In the past three weeks, I've spent time on five different vessels, from a canoe to a 43 footer, and I've enjoyed them all. I might eventually downsize, due to health or finances, but I would not be happy about parting with any of my boats.
ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #16
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
When I sold my Catalina 36 it was with mixed emotions. It was the boat my parents had restored from a complete disaster. It was the boat that my kids had spent many days on with their grandparents and cousins. It was the boat that my Dad was on when he had his stroke. It was the boat that I would take my kids out on for great vacations when they were at the age when time with parents was a distant second to time with friends. It was the boat that my wife I and I got to enjoy peaceful weekends on just the two of us. We loved that boat and all it represented. I was sad to see it go.

OTOH, I was incredibly relieved to have it sell. I had already bought another boat and needed to get it sold. I didn't have the money, time, or emotional energy to own two sailboat at the same time.

Now I am in the same situation. I need to get my sailboat sold. I am not as emotionally attached to this boat as I was the former boat (although my daughter didn't speak to me for two weeks after we told her we were going to sell it). Selling it is admitting that I'm not as fit as I used to be. Who am I if I'm not a sailor? However, I still don't have the money, time, or emotional energy to own two boats. So I will be a bit sad when the boat sells, I will also be incredibly relieved.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #17
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
I see it like this:

I'm not happy at all about not having Moon Dance any longer.

I've very happy to not be paying slip fees, insurance, and trying to keep up with the maintenance.

That "duality of man" thing.
Attached Thumbnails
FMJ.jpg  
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #18
Guru

City: kemah
Every day he's breathing.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #19

City: Redlands
Every day that I wake up on my boat and get to have another day on the water is my best day! I say this after three years and 14,000 miles.
Arch