Old 03-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #21
City: Thorndike
Vessel Name: Periwinkle
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
I had a great app for android. It was called currents". Last time I looked it had not been updated from 2013. That was the easiest and best I found. Not anything as easy to use. Eldridges is maybe my next best bet. NOAA gives currents in the inlets and then simply apply North and South common since. The current does change as you move from the inlet and the app automatically made the calculations. I think the NOAA web site gives the formula but I have not yet looked at it.
Currents are definitely a must for the next leg of the trip.

kpinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #22
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Great blog. Put its link in your signature that way folks will know where to look....

1988 M/Y Camargue Yacht Fisher
Alaskan Sea-Duction
MMSI: 338131469
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #23
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
It is difficult to time the currents right in the n fla, ga, sc, nc region. Many inlets, and current changes direction in multiple places, as you approach then depart an inlet, when tide changes, etc. Nothing feels as good as getting a couple free kts, but dang hard to time. In north SC and in NC I've got some of the worst areas dialed in, but they are long stretches where it really matters.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #24
City: New Bern, N.C.
Great blog, great pics! Wonderful to see another vintage Gulfstar out there doing it! Keep up the good work.
"Keep putting off till tomorrow, and you'll end up with a lot of empty yesterdays" Prof. Harold Hill
Bilgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #25
City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
As Ski infers, it really isn't necessary to be that granular. Sometimes the tide cycle just isn't going to fit a practical schedule. What you pick up south of the inlet coming north on the ebb, you often give up on the other side for a variety of reasons. I found the published stations to be more than adequate and I enjoyed the sport of navigation. If you can get lucky and hit it a bit before slack before flood, you can get a little slingshot effect. Myself, I just want to generally know how long it will take to get from point A to point be at a certain RPM, and if it is worth sleeping in or dawdling a little bit longer or getting up earlier. Most of the time, it doesn't matter for practical purposes; the sum of the day's tide shifts over a 40-60 mile stretch balance out. Unless of course I am going in or out an inlet (to/from the ocean where tide against the wind can really effect safe sea conditions as well as speed.

Depending on your draft and the dredging schedule, there are always some spots every year that may only be negotiable at mid to high tide. We've been known to truncate the day's cruise and anchor out waiting for safe water heights. Fortunately, it's gunk holer's heaven through there. A few times we liked the spot so much we stayed there a few more unplanned days. Cruising at it's finest!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote