Old 08-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #101
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Can you mention which schools/captains you used either in PM or on this thread?

Later,
Dan
Originally decided not to mention the operations because it was so long ago (actually last century). In Florida, Southwest Florida Yacht Charters, In Anacordes is was Anacordes Yacht Charters.

For comic relief the first time I ever docked a Krogen 42 without a captain aboard, the boat that was sharing the slip was Nordhavn's "First Forty" just delivered. Go big or go home.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #102
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I was trained on "small" boats by the US Navy. It was a 65' ( if memory serves) twin 6-71 landing craft. I was a BM3 and the Chief pitched me some keys, said, "I need you to learn how to run that landing craft to ferry liberty sailors from our Destroyer while deployed. School consist of, by myself ramming....eer landing the craft against a deserted pier until I had it down......B4 it was over I could spin her walk her sideways in either direction and after I figgered her out no spring lines necessary......I wonder if the tides floated all those creosote splinters out to sea I left floating from crash....I mean landing her

Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #103
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
California Maritime Academy cadets on Cub practicing docking against a bridge pier in strong Carquinez Strait current:

They also practice on small sailboats in the strait as well as on months-long summer cruises on training ship Golden Bear, now in Hawaiian waters.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #104
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Originally decided not to mention the operations because it was so long ago (actually last century). In Florida, Southwest Florida Yacht Charters, In Anacordes is was Anacordes Yacht Charters.

For comic relief the first time I ever docked a Krogen 42 without a captain aboard, the boat that was sharing the slip was Nordhavn's "First Forty" just delivered. Go big or go home.
Thank you.

We are looking at those two companies but if there are others we will check them out as well.

Thanks,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #105
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I'm curious to the amount of training many "Cruisers" seek beyond the first couple of hours offered when buying a boat and meeting state safety requirements.
In my opinion, boating, like everything else involving operating a machine, is 90% logic and common sense and 10% training. And I believe that most people, if they possess a fair degree of logic and common sense and have learned how to learn (the only real value in getting a college degree), can dispense with formal training in the case of recreational boating.

There is a ton of good and accurate information on virtually every aspect of operating a boat. This is nothing new; there have been countless books and articles published for decades if not centuries.

This has been augmented by the internet where one can learn about everything from anchoring to zincs. The downside of the internet, of course, is that since it requires no effort to "be in print," it is far more difficult to separate the accurate from the inaccurate. The time, effort, cost, and multiple review process of getting a book published tends to weed out most of the inaccurate rubbish beforehand.

So a person who truly desires to become a knowledgeable, responsible, and safe recreational boater can get all the information they need to become one if they make the effort to search it out and read it (and watch how-to videos on YouTube ).

This is not to say I don't believe there is value in classroom and hands-on training from someone experienced in the subject, be it weather, navigation, maneuvering, etc.

We took the multi-session USCG Auxiliary boating course when we bought our 17' Arima in 1987. While we both already knew or had been exposed to most of what was being taught, it served as a great refresher and reminder, and we did learn new stuff, particularly about hypothermia and local weather (both classes taught be working experts in the fields).

Years later we chartered a GB36 when we decided to explore the notion of getting into this kind of boating, and we had about two hours of practice with the charter company's checkout skipper, mostly to do with docking and close-in maneuvering, as we had never run a boat of this type.

That has been the extent of our "formal" training. The rest of it has been 27 years of running our own boats in a variety of PNW and BC locations and conditions. That's not counting the years of sailing and fishing I did on friends' boats in Hawaii before moving here, the racing crew experience (sail) I had here in the early 80s, and my wife's years of boating with her dad.

Combine this with over three decades of float flying in Washington, BC, and SE Alaska, and the northwest coastal marine environment is something we are very familiar and comfortable with and in, even though we know we have only scratched the surface in terms of our boating knowledge, and that there are countless conditions and situations we have yet to experience.

When we are going to encounter something new, like the narrow passes up north with their tidal currents that can run 10 knots or more, we talk to experienced people we know and read about the best techniques of dealing with these passes, and then we follow the accepted practices.

Which brings me back to my opening statement. My wife and I have found that successful, safe and enjoyable boating is directly proportional to the degree of logic, common sense, and self-reliability one brings to the undertaking. These attributes can perhaps lead one to take classes, perhaps hire instructors, perhaps research, read, and learn about a particular aspect of boating on one's own. But I think the most important thing these attributes will do is motivate one to take it one step at a time, retain what is learned and experienced, and put it into practice.

All the while keeping in mind the words I heard so many times from Alan Mulally when I worked with him that they are burned into my brain, "Remember, this is supposed to be fun."
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #106
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Marine fire fighting-Delgado College
Radar- Delgado College
Numerous courses to completion of Master Unlimited Tonnage Steam or Motor / Inland and Western Rivers
Tankerman
Lifeboatman
Stability and Trim for Ship's Officer course

Taught Seamanship in Jefferson Parish H.S. East and West
Six years experience with Licensed Chief Engineer (Steam)
Four years experience as Mate on Inspected Vessels
Four years experience as Pilot on unlimited tonnage Steam
First Class Pilot unlimited tonnage Inland/ Western Rivers (sections of Ohio and Miss. only)
Fifteen years experience as Captain and Pilot of Un-inspected towing vessels liquid and dry bulk Western Rivers and Inland
Sea School Refresher Course
First Aid
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #107
Guru

Ok, you are hired......even though you are overqualified ..... With you we are going to break with our tradition of hiring unqualified boobs.... Welcome aboard....oh yeah...we pay on the unqualified boob scale....sorry...
Old 08-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #108
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Ok, you are hired......even though you are overqualified ..... With you we are going to break with our tradition of hiring unqualified boobs.... Welcome aboard....oh yeah...we pay on the unqualified boob scale....sorry...
Wifey B: How do you decide if boobs are qualified or not? Is it by feel or looks or size or shape? Oh, silly me. I took it literally.....
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #109
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: How do you decide if boobs are qualified or not? Is it by feel or looks or size or shape? Oh, silly me. I took it literally.....
Taste.......literally speaking..... Sometimes the nuzzle factor adds points...in the figger of speech used as a metaphor I guess that would be dumb ass... What do u think ...ur call
Old 08-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #110
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
I don't hold any of those licenses anymore, would be hard pressed to do the physical involved with life boating drills as learned, still retain the marlin spike seamanship skills, and if I don't remember some of the training, or courses at least I know where to look for the book or notes.
I was extremely blessed by learning boat handling from Capt. Verne Streackfus, Captain of the Steamer President in the 1970's. He departed and landed twice a day at the foot of Canal Street on the Miss. River no matter the current, eddy, and only once canceled for weather. 300' long, 4.5' draft and 50' of broad air catching superstructure powered with two wooden steam driven paddle wheels controlled by the engineer so there was about a two minute delay from giving an engine command until the engine responded (if the engineer was at station). He was doing it late in his 80's.
I treasure every minute I ever spent with him.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #111
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: How do you decide if boobs are qualified or not? Is it by feel or looks or size or shape? ...
Yes!

Later,
Dan

dannc is offline   Reply With Quote